Map App for Venice?

Search

Map App for Venice?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2021, 11:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Map App for Venice?

I've seen comments various places that Google Maps is not helpful for Venice, where I now am. (I've actually found Google kind of variable for Italy - great in some places and in others, sends me in circles or somewhere far from where I'm trying to go.) Any recommendations for a good map app to use in Venice?
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 12:51 AM

I'd argue the problem isn't the app but peoples phones.

Partly Venice is almost designed to mess up GPS signals. Narrow alleys make the average concrete jungle city centre seem like open countryside. Partly different phones have varying GPS sensitivity.

Personally I find Google maps good enough in Venice. It will try to put you onto a vaporetto when you can easily just walk someplace but in general it works. You need to use a bit more common sense than usual but with a GPS that's always a good idea.

The trick IMHO is to not aim for the specific. But head towards the largest site near your destination. That means if you want to visit someplace near St. Marks head to St. Marks. Once you're in the area then find the final destination on the map and finish your trip.
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 02:15 PM

Or buy a paper map from a news stand. Cost about four euro.
The app Chebateo or Che bateo is handy. Gives timetables and routes for vaporetto services.
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 02:37 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I have no idea but I'm so happy for you to be in Venice right now - and just a tad bit jealous! Enjoy!