Manoir de la Rance frustration

Oct 31st, 2007, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Manoir de la Rance frustration

I have a picture in three books and on three websites but no e-mail address for them. I know Fodorites have stayed there. How did you book? How did you find pictures/prices/sizes of the individual rooms?
Oct 31st, 2007, 02:37 PM

The old-fashioned way - call them on the phone.
Oct 31st, 2007, 03:53 PM

It is listed in Karen Brown's FRANCE...www.manoirdelarance.com
Oct 31st, 2007, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

oops! Well, after all the travail, I did a search here and someone who had stayed there had given an e-mail address. Will see if I get a reply.
The Karen Brown website btw didn't give one either.
St. Cirq, since their website was all in French, I assumed I would get someone on the phone who only spoke French. I can only parlez un peu. However, if the e-mail doesn't work, that may be a better option than trying to fax. Thanks.
Oct 31st, 2007, 05:29 PM

Well, if you have a fax number I'd be happy to write out the reservation request for you in French if you send me the info: [email protected]
Oct 31st, 2007, 08:59 PM

We stayed at the Manoir a few years ago...lovely surroundings in the countryside along the Rance River. Hope you can get in...Room #25 (if I recall) overlooks the river.fax 2-99-88-63-03, phone 2-99-88-53-76

Stu T.
Nov 1st, 2007, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

St. Cirq, that's very sweet of you. I composed my e-mail from the French reservation example in the Karen Brown book. So will see if I hear back.
Tower, I will keep that room # in mind. The book said all but 2 rooms have water views.
Now will see if/when I get an answer.
Thanks.
Nov 17th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Follow-up. I faxed them. Having not heard a response I was leaning toward spending just one night in a hotel I found in Dinan. This was partly because I'm thinking of spending more time in a different section of Brittany.

Then, today, came a very polite letter (in English) via the mail, from Manoir de la Rance. So, now I have some thinking to do.

Did those who stayed there have trouble finding it?
Dec 18th, 2007, 11:14 AM

No problem following the road to Manoir de la Rance...it's truly in the country side but they give very detailed, easy to follow directions.

Stu T.
Dec 18th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Good. I got a letter (snail) mail asking for cc info. Sent it by fax as requested but haven't heard back after 3 weeks. I think I'll wait until they are open in the spring and try calling.
Dec 21st, 2007, 07:24 PM

hoping:

I'd place a phone call now...the Madame lives in the Manoir and is there all year..very sweet, helpful lady...with overseas phone rates the way they are now, I never hesitate to phone...I figure some of these places don't read their e-mails often as most of their guests are French, German or British who call them on the phone.

Stu T.
Jan 4th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Tower, thanks for the suggestion.
I waited until the holidays were over and called. On my second try I did reach someone who spoke English. She had my reservation but can't confirm for another month. I didn't ask why. That happened on a previous trip and it was because the hotel changed hands during the winter. So will see what happens. It is not a long driving day for us coming from Mont St. Michel, so if the room for some reason were unavailable there are several towns in the area.
Mar 20th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Original Poster

Finally, MONTHS later. After another phone call with my pidgeon French, and another fax, I received a letter today confirming our stay.

Gosh, now I'll probably have an ordeal finding it for our one night stay!