Search

Manciano

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2018, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manciano

will be going to Manciano, Italy in late Sept. any suggestions on day trips that are within an hr Drive?
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 09:13 AM

Pitigliano/Sorano/Sovana -- Etruscan sites
Orbetello - lagoon town
Monte Argentario -- rocky promontory
Ucellina/Maremma park -- wild nature
Saturnia hot springs
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 12:19 PM

I agree with all of the suggestons Yorkshire has made.

Pitigliano is an amazing sight as you approach the town. There is a very interesting museum of the local Jewish culture, with many rooms used for ritual baths, bakeries, and so forth, and a historic synagogue.

Sovana is a charming little town, apart from the Etruscan sites.

We visited the area in the spring, and I thought it was too early for bathing in the hot springs, but I was sorry we didn't bring our swimwear. You can buy cheap wading shoes at the bar and go into the water up to your knees without swimming costumes. (The bottom is very stony.)

The Maremma park was fascinating, but you have to stick to a few main roads, and the road to the seaside wasn't very easy to find. At a certain point you have to pay a toll to go further. It's worth it to get to the seaside. You also have to pay for trail permits if you want to take a walk in the woods. Apart from the seaside and the farms (or ranches) along the road, there isn't a lot to see, but I was intrigued by the agriculture.

Orbetello and Sorano didn't ring many bells for me.
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 12:40 PM

I just always confuse Sorano and Sovana so I group them together! We primarily visited the Etruscan sites--via cave and some extraordinary statues.

In Maremma park, it is best to rent a bike to get further along on the trail heads. Of course a certain level of fitness is required--and believe me I whined all the way up that hill! But it was well worth it for the views. If you enter at the paid lot at Marina di Alberese, you can do an easy little loop walk with views of wetlands and Maremma cattle, and also access the natural beach. But for a wow moment, do the hike to the beach.

We chose Orbetello for its proximity to the park, but it's a neat little town--situated on a spit of land in the lagoon.
Can't get over how much I loved this area...