Rome to Venice: Train or Plane?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2016, 02:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My kids fly home from Venice on Saturday at noon from Venice. We will all be in Rome so they will travel from Rome to Venice to board their flight home.

There are flights on Saturday morning from Rome (FCO) to Venice Marco Polo (VCE) that leaves Rome at 8:25am and arrives in Venice at 9:25am.

Are the Alitalia terminals close by to the American Airlines terminals at Marco Polo airport? I've never been there so I don't know how big an airport it is. Their flight home is at 12noon so does landing at 9:25am give them ample time to get to the AA terminal, check in and board?

The alternative is taking a train the night before (leaving Rome at 8pm or thereabouts), but that will limit their time in Rome on their last day, so a Saturday morning flight is preferable.

If anyone is familiar with the logistics of Marco Polo airport, I'd really appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 03:59 AM
RJD

Have you checked to see if there is a train station at VCE?
I have been at the airport many times,most recently last October and seen no such station. If as I suspect the train you have in mind stops at Santa Lucia in the heart of town your children likely cannot make it.
It sounds like a highly unlikely plan.
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 04:53 AM

There is no train station at Marco Polo. For train you would have to go to Mestre and there pick up a bus for the airport.

But I would be VERY hesitant to do that flight in the AM. If there is a delay - or any sort of work stoppage or slow down they might well miss their flight home. Actually landing at 9:35 would give them enough time - IF they have only carry-ons, checked luggage is checked through or it arrives quickly. but if they have to recheck it and they are delayed there could be issues.

Marco Polo is a small airport and generally easy to manage - but there is additional security for flights to the US.

In either case I would get to Venice the night before the fight home.
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 05:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If their flight lands on time they should have no problem, as if my memory serves me correctly, there is only one terminal at VCE. Ideally if possible, they should check their baggage straight through, but otherwise they should have their bags by 10 am from a domestic flight. They'd then need to get into the departure/check in hall upstairs, but it's close at hand.

Problems might arise if the Rome flight is delayed, but that's the chance you'd take.
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 05:10 AM

always recommend that when you are dealing with two airlines and a long haul flight you arrive the night before...that recommendation goes double if dealing with Alitalia. Is this on one ticket ie thru fare or separate tickets? You need to be clear what happens to luggage and you if the Rome flight is delayed or cancelled. I would sleep in Venice.
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 05:30 AM

The best choice is to take a train on Friday and stay in Maestre that night, then it will be a quick trip to the airport in the morning, but there's no way I'd ever take a train from Rome in the morning to Venice for a noon flight. Of course they can fly, but again, with two tickets, that's not something I'd leave for the last minute. I'd still go the night before.
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Great advice.

I think flying the night before is their best option. Are there hotels near the airport? Or can they easily stay near the center of town and get to Marco Polo Saturday morning in time for a noon flight?

I checked train routes and there doesn't seem to be any direct routes from Rome to Venice on that Friday night - most have a stop over with a train switch that takes something like 8 hours and overnight. Not a good option, but will research train schedules further.

Thank you all for the excellent advice!
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 07:16 AM

The trip to the airport takes about 20 minutes by bus from Piazzale Roma. I know there are hotels near Marco Polo airport (I saw several on my bus ride into town from the airport), but it's not near anything, so I'm not sure I'd choose to stay there. There are plenty of hotels near the train station, which is across a bridge from Piazzale Roma on the mainland, where all the airport buses depart, and there's at least one hotel in Piazzale Roma itself (it's not a great hotel but acceptable). It's usually cheaper to stay in Maestre, which is what I'd recommend if they take the train since all trains stop there. There are two different airport buses, and both cost under 10 euros and take the same amount of time.

I'm very surprised you say there aren't any evening trains because I've taken a direct evening train from Rome to Venice, and it takes about 4 hours, and I didn't have to change. Of course, train routes change from time to time.

If they do fly to "Venice" just realize that not all the budget airlines fly into Marco Polo, the international airport. Some fly to Treviso, which is twice as far from Venice itself and notably less convenient. If they fly Alitalia, it will almost certainly be to Marco Polo, but Ryanair and some other budget airlines don't serve that airport.
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

I didn't find any Ryan Air flights using Kayak.com, but I think a train back to Venice on Friday night is the best option.

And you are right, there are several night trains from Rome to Venice, I was clearly looking at the wrong information!

Since they are looking at an 8pm train that arrives in Venice close to midnight, it might not matter if they stay near the hotel.

I'm going to look for a route that gets them to Maestre train station....and tell them to take the airport bus the next morning from across the bridge? Or are there also airport buses available from Maestre train station?
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 07:54 AM

I would also suggest arriving the night before. You wouldn't want your trip to be restricted in any way. I know most budget airlines won't make such a short trip but I'm not familiar with the Italian services.
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 08:52 AM

There are buses from Mestre to the airport but it's not a particularly pleasant place - an industrial suburb of Venice - so be sure they are in a decent hotel/
neighborhood.

The hotel near the Venice train station might be more pleasant and there are plenty of direct buses.
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 09:09 AM

There are a few hotels across the street from Mestre station. Since they are just going to crash there, may just as well utilize one. For instance, this one: http://www.hotelplazavenice.com/
There is also a Best Western right there.

Go on booking.com to see rates and reviews.
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 09:15 AM

trains from Rome to Venice Mestre for the random date of Friday March 11th:
Rome dp 17.30, 17.50, 18.50, 19.45, 19.50, 20.20
Venezia Mestre ar 20.42, 21.23, 22.23, 23.18, 23.23, 0.45
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

nytraveler, is there a different train station in Venice that might prove more appealing?
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 10:16 AM

Venice has two stops: Maestre, the landside suburb that's close to but not really Venice, and Venice Santa Lucia, which is in the city. There are hotels very close to both stations, but staying in Venice is much more expensive. That's why most tour groups stay in Maestre. If they are going to arrive at midnight and get up and go to the airport after breakfast, I don't see the advantage of paying more to be in the city, but they can certainly do that. All trains stop at both stations, and it's just as easy to get to Piazzale Roma for the bus to the airport as to come directly from Maestre.
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 10:20 AM

If they stay in Mestre (sorry I keep misspelling), it's only a 10-minute ride into Venice, and there are many trains every hour, so they can still come into the city if they want before going to the airport (assuming they get up early). But Venice isn't exactly an early city, so nothing is likely to be open, and they'll have to head to the airport by 8am anyway.
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Good points, thank you Doug!
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 12:40 PM

-All trains stop at both stations, and it's just as easy to get to Piazzale Roma for the bus to the airport as to come directly from Maestre.-

Not really easier. In Mestre they cross the street. In Venice you either need to walk over the Calatrava bridge or take a vaporetto one stop to get from the train station to Piazzale Roma. Arriving at 7pm? No brainer stay in Venice. Arriving at midnight? Stay in Mestre.
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 01:25 PM

I agree--Mestre would be best for so late an arrival.

The area near the Mestre station is perfectly fine. The hotels directly across Viale Stazione would be perfect--that's also the side of the station where they would catch a bus or taxi to the airport in the morning.

(No bridge to cross--that would be if they were staying on th island of Venice.)
Old Jan 5th, 2016, 01:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Will they have been in Venice earlier in this trip? Have they already been to Venice before?

If no, I personally would consider shortening the time in Rome and adding a day or two in Venice (and have plenty of time to get to the airport for the trip home).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -