Reload this Page >

Manchester and Liverpool

Search

Manchester and Liverpool

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 03:13 PM
J.B.

Manchester and Liverpool

What sights should I see in Manchester and Liverpool?

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 06:26 PM
Tony

This is by no means the Definitive List, but could be a few starters for Manchester, covering a cross section of interests. <BR>The Lowry at Salford Quays - a brand new complex of theatres and galleries, emphasising the works of L.S.Lowry, a unique and interesting artist whose works mainly show the industrial north of England. <BR>The Printworks - another new development of entertainment areas, bars etc.,including a Hard Rock Cafe, and Britains largest IMAX cinema. <BR>The Museum of Science and Industry, occupying the site of the world's oldest railway station, collection of commercial artefacts. <BR>Manchester Museum - natural history, dinosaurs and much much more. <BR>Manchester United's Theatre of Dreams soccer ground at Old Trafford. Tours available. <BR>Chinatown. <BR>Britain's largest Marks and Spencer store. <BR>For more info.visit www.destinationmanchester.com <BR>For Liverpool I don't really know, except that there is a magnificient Maritime History Museum complex at the Albert Docks.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 12:30 AM
sylvia

Liverpool also has a branch of the Tate at Albert Dock. If you like ethnic food, Liverpool has several very good Chinese restaurants and Manchester has the famous "curry mile" in Rusholme.

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 08:58 AM
Ann

If you have any interest in football/soccer, go to Anfield in Liverpool and Old Trafford in Manchester. In addition to touring the stadium at Anfield, there's also a small museum. I'd think that Old Trafford has the same. <BR> <BR>The Cavern Club is a must see for Fab Four fans.

Old May 4th, 2001, 10:32 AM
Linda

I can't advise about Manchester, but there are good things to do in Liverpool (many of them Beatle-related). <BR> <BR>The Magical Mystery Tour leaves from the Albert Dock and the downtown Tourist Information Center. It's fun and entertaining. You go past one house for each of the Beatles and visit Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields. You end up back downtown near the Cavern Club, where you can get a free poster. <BR> <BR>The National Trust has refurbished the council flat the McCartneys lived in when Paul was a teenager and it is a wonderful visit. You must book in advance (only 14 people are allowed to enter at a time). Minibuses leave from the Albert Dock and from Speke Hall, another National Trust property south of the city. If you look it up on the National Trust website, look for "20 Forthlin Road". <BR> <BR>We didn't find the Albert Dock Beatles Museum terribly enlightening, but we had to do it once. <BR> <BR>There are other interesting sites as well. Here are some web sites: <BR>http://www.liverpool-wirral.co.uk/li...re/beatles.htm <BR> <BR>http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/mccorp/BeatlesLiverpool.html <BR> <BR>Have fun! <BR>Lina

Old May 4th, 2001, 11:37 AM
amber

I live in liverpool. Ypu may want to have alook at St Georges Hall in the city centre, fanatstic floors and ceilings, the touridt info office will let you know when it is open. Additionally the Liverpool museum has just undergone an overhall so should be intersting. You may also want to compare our two famous catherderals. My favourite is the Anglican ( good tea rooms. There are a wealth of Georgian bulidings in the catherderal area in various states of repair. The Philharmonic Pub in Hope Street in same area (called dining rooms on the sign above the pub), fantastic OTT decor. Everyman bistro under the Everyman theatre also in Hope street,is good for food at ,taraa luv