Malta & Sicily

Jan 30th, 2016, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Malta & Sicily

I am planning a trip to Malta and to Sicily in Mid-June with my family of five. Is this crazy? We are thinking one week in Malta and one week in Sicily. We want to rent a car…anyone know if we can take a rental car from Malta to Sicily or vice/versa? Is a week in both places sufficient? We have been to Sicily to visit family. We have not been to Malta. We would once again visit family in Sicily but also tour the coast of Sicily and go to places we haven't been to….any suggestions of places to see on the coast of Sicily? How about in Malta/Gozo. I have family there but not sure where.
Jan 30th, 2016, 09:30 AM
kja

I haven't been to Malta yet, but one week is VERY little time for Sicily -- many of us find that it is difficult to see even the highlights of Sicily with less than 2 or 2.5 weeks.

I recommend that you get some good guidebooks (or spend some time with a few in your local library), identify the things you most want to see in each location, note their opening/closing times, and mark them on a calendar. Then pencil in your transportation, add some time on either side (for getting to/from your lodging, checking in/out, packing/unpacking, getting oriented, etc.) and see how things fit together. That's really the only way to figure out whether this trip could work for your family.

Good luck!
Jan 30th, 2016, 09:58 AM

Malta is lovely. The ferry is www.virtuferries.com

However, I expect car hire companies won't like their cars going out of the country, so perhaps go as foot passengers and hire another car - or just use buses - on Malta.