MALTA & GOZO - info offer

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 02:04 AM
Simon

MALTA & GOZO - info offer

If anyone needs some info on Malta and Gozo, just post a message.

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 02:28 AM
Bill

OK

Old Jan 13th, 2001, 02:14 AM
Amrita.

Hiya,
I am a potter in Holland and we are hoping to visit Malta in Feb.I am very interested to visit some potteries when I am there.If you know any information about potters or studios or anything about ceramics in Malta I would be very happy hear from you.I have been trying to get some information but upto now no success.
Thanks,Amrita.

Old Jan 13th, 2001, 04:56 AM
Simon

Your best bet is to visit the Crafts Village in Ta' Qali (bus 80 + 10min walk) and the Crafts Centre (official, not commercial) in Valetta, just opposite St John's Co-Cathedral's main entrance in the corner. There is also a crafts village on the island of Gozo. But to be honest, pottery and even more so ceramics are not a big thing here.

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 03:21 AM
Kim

Hi

I'm after info on best places to stay in Gozo and those best avoided, if any!
We'd prefer self catering accomodation, somewhere fairly central. Its a family holiday - 6 adults and a baby. Some of the group are also qualified divers.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 01:35 AM
amrita

Hiya Simon,
We are leaving to Malta soon.I have been looking at the weather report in Malta and it says 15-20f.So I am thinking of packing t.shirts and summer cothing.Does it get cooler in the evenings?
Please advice me on this.
Thanks again for your advice.
Amrita.

Old Mar 8th, 2001, 02:08 AM
Evelyn

Booked for two weeks, starting Oct. 25 on Grand Circle tour. Staying at Preluna Hotel & Towers in Sliema. Much sight-seeing included. Should I take the optional overnight to Gozo? Any info appreciated, especially on hotel, weather, must-see sights. (But all meals are included, so don't need much on restaurants, except if there is a MUST-EAT-THERE one.) My friend and I are
in early seventies & in good health--but not interested in strenuous walks or scuba diving!

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 09:41 AM
Simon

Sorry about the delay people ! I could not get through due to lack of international bandwidth. May I suggest you post me an email as well as placing a question ? That way I can answer you normally within 24 hours (unless I'm on holiday !)

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 09:44 AM
Simon

October is a great time to visit Malta. It is warm enough to sunbathe,
but not as hot as in September. The Preluna is a very good hotel, centrally
located in the nicest part of Malta tourist-wise. You certainly should
not miss the excursion to Gozo (or 'Ghawdex' as we Maltese call it), for
this is by far the more beautiful and characteristic of the two islands.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 09:46 AM
Simon

Amrita, yes it can get cool in evenings ! We wear winter clothes till mid-April, especially in evenings.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 10:08 AM
Simon

Gozo (known as Ghawdex to the locals) is really beautiful, very peaceful
and slooooow.

If you are visiting roundabouts now, I suggest Hotel Cornocopia (very reasonably
priced) in Xaghra. The service is second to none. You can eat out cheaply
in Gozo. They also have self-catering bungalows, really comfortable and
beautiful.

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 03:57 AM
Linda

My husband and I are looking at Malta as a possible one week getaway at the end of May. Should the weather be warm enough for lying about the pool and gentle exploring? And which island/hotels would you suggest? We are looking for a place to relax while away from our rambunctious 2-year-old Thanks!

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 08:09 AM
Simon

Dear Linda,

The weather in May will be quite warm, and should really be what you consider as summer. Your clothing should be shortsleeves, with a sweater/cardigan for evenings just in case. I recommend cotton cardigans ... you will find wool to be far too warm for our climate.

Still, it won't be excessively hot as the case is in August, so it really is the best time to visit. You will be able to go round the islands and also enjoy the sea.

As to island choice, if you are after a peaceful away from it all holiday, then definetitely the island of Gozo (Ghawdex) which has less then 30,000 inhabitants, but reasonably developed in terms of hotels, shops, beaches, sightseeing etc. If this is not what you are after, then stick to Malta, and maybe pay a day trip to Gozo.

As regards hotels, there are many that are up to standard. But if you let me know what you are looking for (eg. price, style, seaside, city, hotel, guesthouse ?) I will be able to make my recommendations. You may wish to contact me at my email address in this respect !

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 04:54 PM
Colleen

Hi Simon - you seem to know everything there is about Malta! My fiance and I are considering a honeymoon package in Malta - 1 week at the Hotel Fortina in Sliema at the end of October - any suggestions? It is so hard to find information on Malta here in the U.S. . . . Thanks!

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 03:55 AM
Darren Camilleri

Hi Simon;

sounds like you an expert!!!!!!!!
My wife and I will be in Malta in late June for a week and I was wondering if you can tell us of some places to visit that will cover some history about the second world war?

thanks

Darren

Old May 4th, 2001, 10:24 AM
Simon

Hotel Fortina is nice. It is just at the edge of the coast, with its own swimming pool at the water's edge (it overlooks a small port not a beach). Facilities are quite good. I used to go there to play tennis years back when I was still 19 !

The area is ideal for shopping, and transport. there is a bus that passes through every 5 mins (often only with standing room available) to Valletta or St Julians, buses that link to Rabat and Bugibba ... so for transport it gets top marks too. There is also a ferry to the lower parts of Valletta.

End of October will still be warm during the day, but quite cool at night. May also rain a bit. If you are really unlucky, you might even hit the worse storm of the year. That usually comes at the end of October. Used to be a bit of a disaster, but under control these last few years thanks to the Civil Defense. But that never lasts more then one day.

Maybe for a honeymoon, spending 2 nights in Gozo (Ghawdex) would be a good idea !

Old Nov 27th, 2001, 03:24 PM
Linda

Hello Simon,
Two couples travelling to Malta end of Feb-early March. We will be staying at the Radisson SAS. What kind of weather should we expect? Any information on the area St. Julian's would be appreciated. Thank you

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 02:35 AM
Pat Anderson

Hello, We are a family of four (2 kids) considering a Malta Chrismas break. The tourism site says temperatures stay around 60 degrees through the winter...? Any recommendations for family spots/farmhouses/gueshouses on Gozo or Malta. We like to be out of doors, hike walk, and of course see some of the ruins. Thanks for any advice.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 04:36 AM
Rhea

With apologies to Fodors' editors,
frommers.com 2nd article in today's newsletter - 11-28-01 - shows big savings on deals to
Malta & Gozo.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 11:42 PM
Kim

Similar question regarding Malta in December/January - would you recommend it and what type of an itinerary/hotels would you suggest for 8 days?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -