Mallorca in march??

Search

Mallorca in march??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2019, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mallorca in march??

I've not been back a week yet and I'm already musing about my next trip to Spain. (Just returned from two solo weeks split between Sevilla and Cadiz with a day trip to Barbate and Zahara). I would like to go next March for about two weeks and again, would be solo. The question is: Where to go? I'd like decent weather; cold is fine but would prefer not to have many rainy days. I say this because Galicia is high on my list, having made only very brief trips to that area in the past. But I'm checking the weather and March seems usually to be very rainy from Galicia to the Basque region.

That bring me to two options I am now in the early stages of thinking about:

1. Return to the Cadiz area but this time rent a car and spend time in or near Vejer, Sanlucar, Zahara, Barbate.

2. Mallorca. I've been once, but decades ago, so this will be like a first-time visit. How many days would Palma keep me busy, given that I am less interested in the "sights" than in wandering around, eating, going to markets, etc?? More important, would I find most good local restaurants open during that month? After Palma, I could go up to the Soller area but again, will I find most of the town (not the port) shut down during March?

How is driving on the island for a hesitant driver? Since scenery is a big part of the allure, I think having a car would be good, and allow me to access local markets and smaller towns..I almost never drive in Europe, as am usually now with partner who does the driving.

Could combine Mallorca with Barcelona or Madrid...been to both numerous times but it's never too much...just wonder if Barcelona would be sort of "ruined" for me with the newfound popularity.

Any other ideas most welcome.....
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 07:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The weather in March on Mallorca can be a bit iffy, but on the whole it should be good. Not very warm, but dry for wandering about Palma which is great out of season for restaurants, sightseeing etc. for a couple of days. From there, you might find Soller very quiet, but there will be places open to stay and eat. My own choice would be Pollenca, a lovely town where locals do live all year round, not just in the summer. So there are restaurants and hotels available and with a car, you can visit the north of the island and the large market at Inca. Don't miss the winery at Binissalem. There are many vineyards across the island and if you see them as you drive past, pop in for a look.

I doubt if it will be warm enough to swim outdoors, unless you can find a heated pool. See the Roman ruins at Alcudia, the monastery at Lluc and explore some of the smaller villages across the top of the island. Driving should be a pleasure at that time of the year without lots of traffic.
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 10:05 AM

I travel to Mallorca at least once a year, often twice as we own two timeshare weeks at the Marriott resort on the island. Typically we visit during the school holidays, either the Easter break, May half term, October half term and most recently, this Christmas and New Year. Our last visit saw us experiencing Mallorca at its quietest, very little was open however many restaurants that were closed had signs stating that they were opening again in February (many of these were in Soller which when we were there was a shadow of its normal, tourist season self).

Palma was bustling as ever, plenty of opportunity to sit down, enjoy some excellent food and watch the world go by. It is, by far, my favourite Spanish city.

The weather, in general, should be fine. I was in shorts and t-shirts for much of my time in December/January and there were even a few days where it was warm and sunny enough to sunbathe around the (heated) pool however I was advised that we were experiencing unusually good weather.

The south of the island should be warmer and less susceptible to bad weather than the mountainous north but I just love being in the Tramantana mountains whatever the weather.

As for driving, I love driving in Mallorca! It's such a pleasant experience even more so in the quieter seasons. During our last visit I was driving mile after mile with no other traffic around with the exception being around Palma which is always busy. Even in high season it's still more pleasurable than mainland Spain, I think there's an island mentality that results in less frantic and aggressive driving that is often experienced on the Mediterranean mainland. Avoid having a car in Palma if you can as parking is a pain and it won't do your nervousness any good.

Definitely take a drive out and visit the various markets. There are a number of websites detailing what days the various markets are on. My favourite so far is the one in Campos, held every Thursday and Saturday. Parking can be a challenge but you can usually find somewhere outside of the old town and take a short walk into the centre.

I love the island and despite visiting ever year over the last ten years I still find new things to see and do.
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by Rubicund
Don't miss the winery at Binissalem.
Excellent advice and opt for the Mallorcan wine at every opportunity, there's some very good wine being produced on the island and as is typical for most wine producing regions, the best usually stays local.

For scenery that doesn't involve the bum clenching experience of the Cap de Formentor drive I can recommend the drive up to Deia, through Valdemosssa then onto Soller before moving down to Pollenca, Port de Pollenca and taking the coastal road to Alcudia. There are a few twisty mountain roads and the odd bus that may appear unexpectedly from a blind bend but it is, for the passenger at least, a very scenic drive.
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

This is excellent news. So maybe 5 nights in Palma (without car?) and a few in Pollenca? See Soller but not stay there?

I would love to know of any hotels you all know about that do have heated pools that would be open in March..I know this is a long shot but if you think of any, do let me know. As I mentioned, this would be my first time renting a car on my own but I am up for it, even more so now that I've read your comments!!

I will put in for a couple of guidebooks and once I read through those..will return with more questions but for now, let me know whatever you think of that might be relevant.

Is there any point at all in taking the ferry from Barcelona?
Old Mar 8th, 2019, 11:42 AM

I would be inclined to spend less time in Palma and more time in one of the towns or villages if you are going to be without a car in Palma. I say this because it increases your options for day trips and whilst Palma is fantastic I would feel that my opportunities for exploration would be curtailed by being confined to Palma and I would feel that I'd be missing out.

As for hotel recommendations I'm afraid I don't have any, we have always stayed at Marriott's Son Antem because the villas they provide are exceptional and it suits our needs as a family with young children perfectly (multiple bedrooms, separate lounge and kitchen, garden etc) in as much as it's pretty much a home from home now. The beauty of the island is that nowehere is more than 1 1/2 hours drive away so we have never felt the need to seek alternative accommodation. If I fancy a trip to Soller (which I do on every visit!) then I know I can be there within an hour from leaving the resort and this will be the same for pretty much any location you choose. You may find more luck with a heated pool in the popular tourist area of Alcudia or Port de Polenca or the, popular with Germans, area of S'Arenal. Whatever you do, please, please, avoid Magaluf like the plague!

As for taking the ferry from Barcelona, if it fits your plans then why not. Personally I would fly because the duration of the ferry crossing is reasonably long and why waste precious vacation time on a ferry when you could be exploring the island?

Please....don't worry about driving. I'm a right sided driver but as soon as I leave the airport in the car I switch to left hand seamlessly because it's such a calm place to drive in. I don't know your location but if I assume the US all I will say is that driving in Mallorca is a godsend compared to driving in the US. It's fun, it's enjoyable, it's relaxing (Palma excluded!) and it's all that driving should be about.

For guidebooks I like the Lonely Planet but also, DK Eyewitness Top 10 Mallorca. It might seem like an odd, lazy choice but it's actually very well put together and there's an amazing breadth of information and recommendations.

My enthusiasm for the island is endless and I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Old Mar 10th, 2019, 12:39 AM
Original Poster

JC you are immensely helpful. I've taken out a guide and have the DK book on hold, so will return with more questions once I get a better idea of the island. Many thanks for your help so far, and a big thank you to Rubicund as well.
Old Mar 10th, 2019, 05:15 AM

ekscrunchy - I'm headed to Mallorca in four days. I'll let you know what I find.
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Isabel that would be marvelous!

Keep in mind that I have no real time limit but think the total trip should be about two weeks in length. So maybe 5 days in Madrid or Barcelona and the remainder in Mallorca.