Mallorca girls trip (30 something)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning another girls trip to Mallorca for a beach break. I went last spring but wasn't invovled in the planning. Our hotel was about 15 minutes outside of Palma on the beach, but wasn't what we were expecting. Lots of college age, beer, the beaches weren't that pretty, tacky cheap souvenir shops, etc. We ended up driving each day to the Porto Cristo area where we FELL IN LOVE with the beaches. The gorgeous turqouise water was just stunning. But, at night back at our hotel, it was hard to find a decent restaurant and the only bar scenes were the rowdy clubs.

So, now I am planning a trip back, and want to make sure we stay in the right place. I want the beaches (like pool water!) to the east of the island, but I want the beautiful old-time villages like Soller (want to do the train!) to enjoy for shopping and evening drinks. Anyway to combine these two? We are thinking of renting an apartment and car, but it would be nice to be within a 10 minute drive to the beach.
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 12:54 PM

Welcome to the Russian Roulette that is Mallorca. Somewhere on the island there is a bullet with your name with a little poor planning you will end up with it!

We have clocked up our 17th trip to Mallorca and the extremes of the island like no other fairly small island.

I presume you stayed to the south of Palma in Arenal with quite simply is awful. Had you continued around 10 miles down the coast you would have reached an enclave of European billionaires.

Mallorca is that specific.

I agree which your choice of the East coast but Porto Cristo isn't the best it has to offer.

How much action do you want at night?
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 10:05 PM
Original Poster

Action....hmm.....That depends on the mood! I'm thinking great restaurants with nice drinks, wine, wine, wine, and no 18 year olds thinking it would be fun to conquer a mommy. A night of dancing would be fun, but thinking more small bar/pub than a techno nightclub.

We started at Porto Cristo and did the boat tour that brought us to beaches that progressively got more and more beautiful! The one beach that impressed us was near the Americano Hotel, but the area looked more "all-inclusive hotel strip" with nothing much else to do, but we had the best time renting the little paddle boats with the slide. Yep, 6 grown women having a blast like little kids! But the beaches were amazing. I would rather rent a villa/apartment with some charm (there are about 6 of us going, so easy to split the cost.) A finca would be awesome too (love staying at agriturismo's in Italy.)

What about the Illetas area? I like that it is close enough to Parma to catch the train to Soller for the small village charm, but seems a bit more upscale. I just really want that "oh my god is that ocean water?" feeling again.
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

***Palma**** still early. need coffee.
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 01:46 AM

"love staying at agriturismo's in Italy"

Bingo!

You are exactly what modern Mallorca is looking for. The island has taken the huge amounts of capital that they have made out of down market tourism, over the past 40 years, and invested heavily in trying to go upmarket.

Some of the most cutting edge tourism in Europe is being developed on Mallorca.

There is also the beautiful little (and quiet) fishing village of Porto Petro

http://www.sea-seek.com/images/d/d9/Porto_Petro.jpg

Which has plenty of good restaurants.

The main advantage of the whole area is that all the locations are no more than 30 minutes from Cala D'Or which is a solid "middle market" resort. The marina is now world class and the restaurants there are great with a stunning raised view. There is plenty of nightlife and Porto Petro is a 5 minute taxi trip away.

We have stayed at 4 Fincas and 3 of the Spanish families "wintered" in Tuscany to benchmark what the businesses in Italy offer. We have used :

http://www.theothermallorca.com/

for agriturismo's.

or :

http://www.vintagetravel.co.uk/

for self cater villas/fincas.

I agree, if you are spliting the cost between 6 adults, a finca with a pool becomes very good value.

Santanyi is lovely but inland. It is very "Boden" like Soller (uppper middle market but not flashy) and also very Spanish. The beaches at Cala Mondrago are in an undeveloped national park and are near the top of the beaches in Europe.

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/med...ches-nerar.jpg

In short, I would suggest hiring a car, driving down to this area (30 minutes) and staying in a Finca (Santanyi/Cas Concos area) 10 minutes inland or an apartment in Porto Petro.

If you find any possibles, let me know. We have had 3 failed attempts (due to the exchange rates) to build a finca in this area. I probably know every square inch of SE Mallorca.

ps forgot to mention :

Colonia Sant Jordi is lovely and the beach down the road

http://www.75l.com/pro/images/Beach1.jpg

is again rated as one of the best in Europe.

In short, Mallorca is one of those destinations where a little planning results in a huge return.

From what you have said, I think that you will love this area.
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 03:37 AM

Illetas is a nice quiet area of the island as is Bendinat next door. There are several good restaurants around and about. It is close to Portals Nous which may also suit you as it has good restaurants, nice bars and no lager louts!

You would be close to Palma for the Soller train and to the city for restaurants, sightseeing and shopping without the drive out to the East coast
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 06:18 AM

Lifeman

What are the beaches like in the area?

I know my parents have stayed at Bon Sol which has its own private beach in Illetas but are there any private beaches. We have been through a couple of times but really don't like the type of development which isn't low key.
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Original Poster

If only I could take the 4 corners of the island and put it all into one!!! Here is what I have planned so far, but by all means, if you think I can change anything to fit my many demands into a more central location, let me know.

I found an apartment in Illetas:

http://www.mallorca-holiday-rentals..../det/2315.html

It has access to a beach which I am hoping will be that beautiful, clear water. We will be here for 3 days/4 nights, so we can take a daytrip to the east coast to hit one of the beaches I know I love, take the train to Soller, and spend a day in Parma if we wish. We arrive Friday evening around 6 pm, so it will be nice to only be about 20 minutes to our apartment, get cleaned up, and maybe head into Parma for our first dinner out.

It looks like we are within a 2 minute walking distance to the Virtual Club, which looks like a great upscale place for cocktails and dancing for six 30 something mama's. But, I can't find prices????
Old Jan 25th, 2011, 01:34 AM

The prices are at the bottom of the page that you linked to.

Prices
01.11.2010 - 01.04.2011 141 Euros per night*
01.04.2011 - 01.07.2011 171 Euros per night*
01.07.2011 - 01.09.2011 199 Euros per night*
01.09.2011 - 01.11.2011 171 Euros per night*
Service charge 171 Euros
Refundable security deposit 300 Euros

* Our prices are per night / per property, to calculate the complete rental price use our price calculator or send us an enquiry.

That seems reasonable enough and the photos look good. The beach there is lovely and whilst popular is not wall to wall steaming oily flesh and much less populist than Palma Nova etc.

When you're going will determine how busy the place is of course and I'd head for Puerto Portals for my first dinner. The food is very good as I said above, in most of the restaurants there and the atmosphere is excellent. On a Friday night, I'd try and book before you travel to make sure of a table at busy times of the year. There is the very expensive Tristan or the mid range prices of Wellies or the Binnacle as follows:

Binnacle
+34 971 679 977
Offers a mainly seafood menu, although some meat dishes are available. Different types of paellas, as well as sea-food and lamb chops feature amongst their specialities.

Wellies
+34 971 676 444
One of the harbour area's most popular restaurants, which also has a roof-top seating area. They serve an excellent full English breakfast, as well as offering a wide selection of meat and salad dishes throughout the day.

Tristán
+34 971 675 547
Gourmet tapas and a degustacion menu are all available at this Michelin star restaurant.