Malaga to Gibraltar??

Aug 29th, 2001, 05:51 AM
Sue

Malaga to Gibraltar??

I'd like to drive or take a bus from Malaga to Gibraltar. Does anyone know the best way to get there and how long it would take?

I would also like to see Sevilla while I'm there. How far is that from Malaga and should I just rent a car? Is it reasonable to do a day trip?

Thanks for any help! Sue

Aug 29th, 2001, 10:13 AM
Krista

Sue,

We drove from Malaga to Gibraltar in about 1 1/2 hours. Very easy, but be careful at the border. We were going to park on the Spanish side and walk over since parking is limited on Gibraltar. We were scammed out of about $10 by a guy who came up to our car in the street. He told us to park "over there". When we got "there" there was no parking. We were already in the line to go across the border so we just went and parked in Gibraltar. Had a great time there, though, so that incident didn't ruin the day for us. Beware-the line to get back into Spain was horrendously long!

We then drove from Malaga to Seville. I believe it was about 2 hours-I don't really remember. I know it wasn't long, though. We spent the day walking around and sightseeing. It was our favorite city of the whole trip. We really wish we had planned more than a day. But we were dropping off the car and flying back to Madrid. Definitely worth spending time there.

Sep 5th, 2001, 08:20 PM
Sue

Krista,

That gives me an idea of distance. I'm definitely going to include Sevilla in my plans.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I had trouble finding my post. Thank you so much for your advise! Sue

Sep 6th, 2001, 06:53 PM
Eric

I just did this about a week ago. I was warned that vehicle queues to get out of Gibraltar can be very long. Drive to the border town, La Linea, park there, and walk across. There is a parking garage called Fo Cona very close to both the border and bus station that charges 150 pts per hr to a max of 1000 pts for 24 hrs. The walk to the border from there is very short.

Sevilla is about 2 to 2.5 hrs from Malaga, all motorway. However, if you are coming from elsewhere in the Costa del Sol, it may take a little longer.

Sep 7th, 2001, 08:15 AM
tommy

Any particular reason you are headed to Gibraltar? I suppose it has some historical intrigue, but I found it to be scarred from overdevelopment and rather ugly. I suggest you use that time to explore Sevilla further. Its much more interesting and attractive.