Malaga or Rome in December?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2019, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello! We are flying to Copenhagen from DC, staying there for a couple of days and then flying to Germany for the Christmas markets. We have about a week left for another city, and I cannot decide between Malaga or Rome! We’ve been to Italy 4 times and just love and are obsessed with the culture and the food and the people and basically everything! But Malaga I hear is also an awesome city. We’re a family of 4 (husband and I and two boys, 5 and 3 yo). I was hoping for decent weather (don’t care for beach weather) since we will be in the cold the first part of our trip. Now the question is, should we go back to Rome, or try a new city!? How will the weather be in Malaga? Decent enough to have meals outside at least once a day? Please help!!
Old May 6th, 2019, 08:21 AM

We've spent quite a bit of time in each city and love them both. We spent two weeks in Malaga before Christmas 2 years ago and had a great time. Malaga goes all out for Christmas with a nightly light/music show on the main pedestrian street. Your children might really enjoy it (us big kids did too)

In addition to the light show there are lots of lit Christmas decorations on the streets of the old town.

Re weather - we had very good weather (YMMV). We could sit out for lunch and at other times during the day as the sun was warm (and many restaurants have some kind of shelter on their patio or heater. Evenings were too cool as I recall. We went to the beach one day for lunch (great selection of restaurants all more or less serving the same menu of grilled fresh fish). We were able to sit out and even put our toes in the water.

While I love Rome I think your weather chances are better in Malaga and the Christmas celebrations are very special.

We stay in this apartment - highly recommend it and the location.

https://www.holidays2malaga.com/en/a...l-with-balcony
Old May 6th, 2019, 08:33 AM

I suggest Malaga as well, especially since you've been to Rome. We spent 2 nights in Malaga and loved it, and wish we had more time. The city center is beautiful; there are lots of great restaurants; there are lots of interesting sightseeing. We especially enjoyed slowly walking to the top of the Alcazaba, with its lush greenery, beautiful flowers, fountains and patios, and awesome views of the Mediterranean and port. There is also a ferris wheel along the port but not sure if it operates year round. If the weather isn't nice, there are many small museums you can visit. And I think it will be nice to be on the Mediterranean at that time of year.
Old May 6th, 2019, 08:35 AM

Just looked at Elizabeth's link to the apartment, and it IS an excellent location right next to the cathedra!
Old May 6th, 2019, 08:47 AM

Karen - it's a great apartment! We just spent 10 days there last month for the second time. The amazing thing is how quiet it is considering the Plaza has 4 restaurants all with significant outdoor seating.

Last month the ferris wheel wasn't operating. Not sure what that's all about as it was operating in December 2016.

I wish kimhe was still posting - such great Malaga information!
Old May 6th, 2019, 09:08 AM

photos of Malaga

Alcazaba in Malaga
Old May 6th, 2019, 09:11 AM

I wish Kimhe was still posting, too. It was partially because of Kimhe that we chose to go to Malaga. Thought I would include this photo for the OP. I am new at submitting photos. Do you or anyone else know how to make the photo smaller? It's certainly taking up a lot of space.
Old May 6th, 2019, 09:17 AM

Another photo of Malaga

Malaga City Center
Old May 6th, 2019, 09:18 AM

We also chose Malaga because of kimhe.

My pictures are also that size when I post them. Testing here to see if there's a way to make smaller

Old May 6th, 2019, 09:19 AM

Nope - don't see way to reduce. The street in your photo is the street in the video I posted.
Old May 6th, 2019, 09:21 AM

WOW!!! Elizabeth, your photo is gorgeous!!!
Old May 6th, 2019, 09:30 AM

Malaga will definitely be warmer than Rome but Rome is my favourite city so it would be a difficult choice for me. However, with such young children they're unlikely to appreciate the sights of Rome and therefore the weather and ambience of Malaga will probably suit them better.
Old May 6th, 2019, 11:03 AM

Malaga is easy to navigate ,..might be more relaxing than Rome( with small kids)
We stayed in Malaga for 3 nights and liked it very much.
Old May 6th, 2019, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Oh my gosh thank you so much for these beautiful photos!! It sure does look gorgeous! I’m definitely set on Malaga now. Ok now my question is. Should we skip the German Christmas markets for Rome? Lol! Can you tell I REALLY wanna go to Rome! Has anyone been to the Stuttgart and Berlin Christmas markets? Cuz we do have the option of canceling those and going to Florence and Rome instead! And I too first read about Christmas in Malaga in these forums on a post by Kimhe
Again, thank you so much for all the advice!!
Old May 8th, 2019, 12:44 AM

We have done Rome at Christmas with young children. I wrote an extensive report; that trip was how I found and needed help from Fodor's. A very short summary of my memories about Rome at Christmas:

We had lots of extended family and we really loved it. But extensive lights or greenery are not really the Italian way to celebrate Christmas. A lovely large Nativity scene in St. Peter's Square. I believe there was also a tree with white lights. And smaller Nativity scenes in all of the churches. Some were incredible. St. Maria del Popolo had some sort of juried exhibit of many different creches made by artists. We went to the blessing in St. Peter's Square at noon on Christmas Day. The kids were too young to stay up until midnight.

A few drawbacks: The day after Christmas, everything is closed. It was also hard to get taxis starting Dec 24. Touring Rome that time of year is a little chilly. Especially, the churches weren't heated, or well heated, and of course, the ruins like the Collosseum and the Forum are all outside.
Old May 8th, 2019, 05:38 AM

We have been to Berlin during Christmas time. We're not really into Christmas markets but I can tell you they were all over Berlin. Some very big ones and a lot of smaller ones. They are beautifully set up like in a fairy tale. Not too much crowds during the day. These markets come alive after sunset.