Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Mala Strana (Lesser Quarter) or Stare Mesto (Old Town) - where to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any strong opinions one way or the other? This will be our first time in Prague with only 2 1/2 days.

Thanks!
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 06:29 PM

We spent 2 1/2 days in Prague (first time as well) at the beginning of April. We stayed at the Residence Mala Strana on Melnicka Street and I was definitely happy that we were on that side of the river. Prague was packed with tourists and it was great to be able to return to a quieter neighborhood at the end of the day. Plus there were a lot of good inexpensive restaurants nearby and Mala Strana is simply gorgeous. The walk to the other side was easy and quick. I'd definitely stay in Mala Strana on another visit. I did post a trip report (click on my name if you're interested).
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 06:36 PM

We too, stayed at the Residence Mala Strana and I agree completely with outwest that it was a very good location. I would stay there again.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 07:06 PM

Or, you can split the difference and stay on Kampa Island - a delightful place in the middle of the river underneath the Charles Bridge. Take the stairs up onto the bridge. Think of Kampa Island as a small village smack in the middle of Prague with fabulous views of old town, particularly at night.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! I will do some more research and look into the hotels you recommended.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 08:36 PM
rex

Although it's been a number of years now (May 2004), we really enjoyed staying in an apartment (actually a pair of adjacent apartments - - we were a family of five; having two partments meant that we had two bathrooms; they had multi-bedroom apartments, but with only 1 bathroom) - - and we were pleasantly surprised to be able to find what we wanted with a stay of only 3 nights.

The agency we used - - www.athos.cz - - has now changed its name to www.a-prague.com; they _used_ to provide live chat via ICQ (I am dating myself a bit here) and I thought that was pretty cool; no doubt you will find a TON of "alternative" lodging choices through various sources, and described on tripadvisor.com for example.

188 of them here, in fact! - - http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g2...ia-Hotels.html

and much to my surprise, I think this is a listing for where we stayed...

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...e_Bohemia.html

(the agency mentioned above lists it also)...

http://www.a-prague.com/apartment-zatec - - we had two of the "attic" apartments.

...this is in Old Town, but be sure to look at other options.

I liked staying in Old Town, but I can see the appeal of Mala Strana also.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 10:41 PM
DAX

I'd say it depends on which season (crowd meter) and where you stay in Mala Strana or Stare Mesto, either place can be great or inconvenient. Food is more expensive in BOTH Mala Strana & Stare Mesto. Restaurants seem to charge almost half price if you get out of those two areas.
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 01:50 AM

We stayed in the Mala Strana and loved it. I would stay on that side again if we went back to Prague. Easy walk to the other side. Much quieter and peaceful, a great spot.

Schnauzer
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 02:17 AM

i wanted to stay in stara mesto but we were placed in a sister hotel elsewhere

when we were in the old town it confirmed what i wouldve really wanted to do - stay in the old town...grrrrrr!!!!

if youre going to be staying for a little while i always say - stay in the old town just for the atmosphere- you can just pop out at night and everything is close
hotel antik seemed nice - thats where we were supposedly booked in til we arrived and then they told us we were going to be staying in the sister hotel hotel city antik- a walk away but a good 25- 30 min walk away from the attractions
luckily we are good walkers but it was damn annoying
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 06:39 PM

I have traveled to Prague several times now, and I have always stayed at the same apartment in Mala Strana. My next trip will be for 5 nights instead of one month, and with my boyfriend who has never been to Prague. We are staying in Old Town, just behind the square. I'm looking forward to seeing that part of Prague in the early morning and later evening as we walk around.... I know now that the side streets are a good way to get around the crowds, both in Mala Strana AND in Old Town. Prague is an exquisite city. Enjoy it.
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for the advice! Much appreciated! Still evaluating options - I think I am suffering from information overload!!
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 09:41 PM

Decide how you are spending your evenings and go from there!