Make This a Trip to Remember

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 05:49 PM
CGC

Make This a Trip to Remember

<BR>I was in London for about a month last year, with side trips to Cambridge, Oxford and Windsor/Eton. Most of the time was spent in London because there were so many things to do and see in London already. I liked it so much and decided to revisit again. <BR> <BR>I will be in England from Sept. 11-October 11 with revisit trips to Cambridge for 4 days (Sep 14-18) and Oxford (Sep 23-25 or Sep 30-Oct 2). Most of the time (weekdays) will be spent in London again with planned weekend trips outside of London, perhaps Canterburry or Salisbury. <BR> <BR>Please help make my stay in London even more memorable this time. Are there important events I should know during the dates indicated above? <BR> <BR>If you were in my shoes, what few (3-5) cities outside of London would you rather visit during the period indicated? Please justify your priorities. What is the best way to get there from London? Also, what decent budget places would you recommend that would be readily accessible by train. <BR> <BR>I prefer "lazy" trips to have a feel of the local flavor. Thus, I would spend at least three days in each city I will visit. I prefer short trips so that I would not spend most of the time traveling from and to London. Thus, I may visit Scotland some other time, unless you have a very persuasive reason that I should visit during this time of the year. I was thinking more of a summer trip for Scotland or other places North. <BR> <BR>Thanks. <BR> <BR>CGC <BR>20000908

Old Sep 9th, 2000, 11:17 AM
Anne

CGC <BR>Here it is the day before you leave, but if you check in here before you go, here's my contribution. I don't know about how the trains run to this area, which is South of London, between Chichester and Worthing, but the town of Arundel is beautiful, with a beautiful, living castle and 11th century cathedral. The annual town festival is in Autumn (don't know the dates)when boat trips are available on the river Arun. We were there 2 years ago in October and stayed at the castle hotel (I,m not sure if that's the real name of it, but any local tourism office can set you up with lodging and book you a room), directly across the street from the castle, and out your window is the castle wall. Nice place it was with huge rooms, bath tub, and elegant feel..reasonable and with breakfast. <BR> <BR>For trips real close to Lonon, try Richmond with is the last stop on the metro and walk the Thames, visit Georgian mansions or catch a show at the Richmond Theatre. The original palace is there and town green (Maids all in a row). <BR> <BR>Hope this helps. <BR> <BR>Bon Voyage! <BR>Anne <BR>

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 01:57 AM
CGC

Thanks Anne. <BR> <BR>I will see if I can go there. <BR> <BR>CGC <BR>

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 10:15 AM
adina

Hi-- You might want to check out Rye and the surrounding countryside (although you might do best with a car there), Bath and the Costwolds (1 or 2 days in Bath and 1 in the country. <BR>Have Fun!

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 10:33 AM
Dave

If you want a day trip from Cambridge, consider taking the train north to Ely and then on to King's Lynn. <BR> <BR>Ely's main attraction is its cathedral, known as the "Ship of the Fens" because of its location on one of the few high points in the area. <BR> <BR>There's no single overwhelming attraction at King's Lynn, although it was formerly a fairly important port. It's a great place to just wander around though, with an impressive guildhall, custom's house, and an interesting small museum of local life. <BR> <BR>One of my favorite small castles is a fairly short (20-30min) bus ride from King's Lynn. Castle Rising is a very well-preserved stone keep within some impressive earthworks. <BR> <BR>---------------------------- <BR> <BR>Another interesting day-trip from Cambridge is Norwich. Impressive Cathedral and Close among other attractions. I believe there are also boat tours of the "broads" leaving from Norwich, but perhaps not in October. <BR> <BR>--------------- <BR> <BR>None of these places is really on the "tourist trail", which is part of their attraction for me.

Old Sep 11th, 2000, 12:17 PM
adina

I second that last suggestion-- while I didn't particularly enjoy King's Lynn, the Norfolk coast is beautiful and Castle Rising and Castle Acre were real highlights of my trip there.