Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Major Paris Sites: Hours/Days Closed - Help?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 05:37 AM
Bob

Trying to confirm the hours & days closed for major sites in Paris. Will be there early October. Can anyone help with the following? I have some info but just trying to confirm: <BR> <BR>Louvre: closed Tue; Thur-Sun: 9-6; Mon/Wed: 9-9:45 <BR> <BR>Arc de Triumple: Daily: 9:30AM-11PM <BR> <BR>Versailles: close Mon; Tue-Sun: 9-6:30 <BR> <BR>Eiffel Tower: Daily - 9AM-11PM <BR> <BR>La Conciergerie: Daily - 9:30-6:30 <BR> <BR>Notre Dame: <BR>Towers-Daily: 9:30-12:15/2-6 <BR>Crypt-Daily: 10-6:30 <BR> <BR>Napoleon's Tomb: ?????? <BR> <BR>Major Dept.Stores: <BR>eg- Galeries Lafayette, La Samaritaine <BR>Are they open on Sunday? What are normal hours? <BR> <BR>I know this is a lot but if someone can confirm the above & help with the question marks, I'd appreciate it? <BR> <BR>Thanks. <BR> <BR>Bob <BR>

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 06:23 AM
dan woodlief

From what source(s) did you get these? It might help to know so we won't use the same one(s). The days and times look right from memory. About Versailles though, it is good to know that the grounds open earlier than the palace. I think sometime around dawn. You can go early and see some of the outside areas before the huge crowds arrive. Plus, if you don't have a museum card, this will enable you to avoid the lines for tickets. Take a look at www.paris.org for times and days, and it gives good info on the museum card.

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 07:51 AM
elaine

Hi <BR>I agree with dan that in general the days and times look right, but many places go to a fall/winter schedule in October so you will want to double check the closing hours either when you get there, or at websites. In addition to the excellent site paris.org, here are some more <BR>www.louvre.fr <BR>www.musee-orsay.fr <BR>www.galerieslafayette.com <BR>www.chateauversailles.fr/

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 12:42 PM
Bob

Thank you for the responses. Most of the times I refer to are from Fodor's on Paris. <BR> <BR>I don't think the times will change much. I just want to make sure I go to places on days they are open!. <BR> <BR>Again, thank you for your remarks. <BR> <BR>Bob

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 05:03 PM
Donna

Keeping up with hours open at the sights, attractions and musuems in Paris is nearly impossible because they change so often and are listed differently in nearly every resource. For example, you might see that a certain museum is open until 6PM in one guidebook, whereas another will list closing time as 5:15 (perhaps because the last ticket is sold 45 minutes before closing). The Eiffel Tower is open until midnight except in winter, but ticket sales may end at 11. The department stores are NOT open on Sunday. In fact, nearly all shops are closed on Sundays, except a few in the Marais and along the Champs-Elysees. Note also that only part of the Louvre is open Monday or Wednesday evenings.

Old Aug 12th, 2000, 09:48 AM
Bob

Thanks, Donna, for getting back to me. I'll definitely be flexible with my times in Paris. <BR> <BR>Bob

Old Aug 12th, 2000, 09:58 AM
Dianne

If you buy the Museum pass while in Paris, you will get a cute little fold out booklet which lists the museums and their hours. We got ours at Musee d'Orsay.

Old Aug 13th, 2000, 11:46 AM
elaine

If you are going to buy a museum pass, which I strongly recommend as it will help you avoid long entrance lines, my suggestion would be to buy it at a small museum near your hotel, it doesn't even have to be a museum that you want to spend much time in if at all. Some hotel front desks even have them for sale. That way you will already have the pass when you get to a place like the Louvre or the Orsay which can have very long entrance lines. <BR>For information: <BR>www.intermusees.com/

Old Aug 13th, 2000, 07:53 PM
Dianne

That's interesting, Elaine. Maybe we were lucky, but when we bought our museum pass at the Orsay this past July, there was absolutely no line for the pass which we purchased at the left side of the museum. Then because we had the pass, we went right into the museum with no lines at all!