Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Mailing packages from Spain back to the US ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back in December we had a wonderful thread about how to mail packages back from France and the cost, size of boxes, special price etc, etc. - I think someone even posted about mailing packages back from Greece.

Now I will be taking a transatlantic cruise over to Spain in April , and of course won't need to drag along all the clothes I needed on the cruise for the land part of the trip, so I'd like to empty the suitcase and mail the clothes back to the US.

Is it as easy as in France.?
Do they have various size boxes that you just fill up and one price for the entire thing no matter the weight ?

Or has anybody had any experience doing this from Spain (Cadiz or Seville specifically)

Thanks in advance Fodorites/

M/
Old Feb 19th, 2009, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

To be more specific:

Do they have various size boxes AT THE POST OFFICE that you just fill up and one price for the entire thing no matter the weight ?

or how would I mail those clothes back at a reasonable price?
Old Feb 19th, 2009, 06:47 PM

Mahya2,
They don;t have the pre pay boxes for INTERNATIONAL shipments yet at the Spanish post offices like the ones in France-one price for the entire contents no matter the weight.

Shipping your clothes back will be *extremely* expensive. I know, because I ship packages at the end of the summer every year (after a 5-6 week stay) and gasp when I see the bill! It's just very, very expensive.
In fact, when we're in the north, we go across the border and ship things from France in those pre-pay boxes to save some euros. We've spent a small fortune over the years at Spanish post offices shipping 4-5-6 boxes back (in the hundreds of euros).

And unless you ship them air mail, all the contents simply may not arrive or the boxes may arrive half opened, even if you seal them well with packing tape.

We've lately had half empty boxes arrive at our doorstep in the US. And last summer, we received some one else's dirty (and wet) clothes instead of some of our belongings!!! I urge you just to pack as lightly as you can!

What they do have for international shipping in Spain is pre-paid shipping BAGS. One bag holds up to 5 kilos and the other up to 10. We have used them to ship back small books, brochures and other printed material. These bags arrive more intact than the boxes do.
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 04:38 AM

It is usually cheaper to pay for an extra suitcase that travels on the same plane wth you than all this shipping, if you can work out the logistics during your trip.

An inexpesnive way to deliver cases or boxes within Spain, (perhaps to your final destination) is through the buses. They have their own instant messenger type service . Your rpackage gets on the next bus out, and arrives usually before you do, and will be kept a reasonable number of days FREE until you collect it.
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 10:11 AM

Great tip, lin. Thanks!
Old Feb 20th, 2009, 04:37 PM

I have had to ship family's entire oversized american suitcase from madrid to vlc by bus since it did not even fit in the car, but we knew this ahead of time and they brought a smaller one for the road trip.

it was so convenient.

They also take envelopes. It is cheap, and fast.

Old Feb 21st, 2009, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Wow Maribel,

"We've lately had half empty boxes arrive at our doorstep in the US. And last summer, we received some one else's dirty (and wet) clothes instead of some of our belongings!!! I urge you just to pack as lightly as you can!"

that doesn't sound good at all !

Packing light is a problem with a 14 night cruise with 3 formal nights and the rest dressy plus daytime casual......

Are those baggies strong?

Also flying bags (minimum 2) home with me could be quite expensive as Air France charged me $50.for 6 kilos over last time, and I imagine I'll have even more this time. Don't forget I'm not flying over.

Was hoping just to be dragging one smaller suitcase around with me for the extra 5/6 days staying in Spain. Oh bollox!
Old Feb 21st, 2009, 03:39 PM

Hi Mahya,
It's strange; I shipped a formal gown (a very expensive, couture one for a really special occasion) and all the accessories home in one of the boxes in '07 and everything arrived just fine, but I sent it air mail. We've had real problems lately with the packages we've sent by slow boat. If it's sent air mail, which costs more certainly, they take better care of the package.

And yes, those bags are quite strong; they hold up better than the boxes do!
Old Feb 21st, 2009, 03:40 PM

Additonal bags USED to be $80, a bargain compared to overweight luggage fees. Not sure what they are nowadays.
Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 01:10 AM

UPS and FedEx have facilities in Spain. Why not let Brown do it for you?
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 12:38 PM

Can you ship "jamon" to the US? I know you cannot take it thru customs - I had it taken away once when I claimed it.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 12:49 PM

The UPS, FedEx and DHL shipping rates from Spain to the US are all high. No way around it.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 02:11 PM

They took it away from you because it has to be imported through legal channels. The PO is not one of them.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Maribel or everyone,

Researching shipping suitcase or clothes back from Cadiz;
has anyone ever used UPS to ship back to home ?

Apparently they have a 25 pound box and a 50 pound box that can be used...(although I cant find out without signing up how much they charge for it yet)

Anyone ever tried it, or researched the cost ?

M.
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 04:49 PM

Mayha,
No I haven't used UPS to ship back-only DHL.

Just to illustrate the cost of international air shipping from Spain post offices, I recently had to ship travel related printed materials back in two large international envelopes (the bags I mentioned above but not pre-pay ones, which can't be used for shipping to the US). These sturdy baggies or envelopes held a total of 4 kilos (max is 2 kilos per envelope). The cost for this was 73,80 euros. Those envelopes, though, only cost 3.60! While I hated the cost, it was simply unavoidable, unfortunately. But this time, they arrived within a week with the contents intact!
Old Apr 15th, 2009, 03:40 AM

Hey guys,

I'm from Spain and i can ensure you that it is not cheap to send a package to USA from here.
UPS, DHL or local carriers (Seur, Nacex, etc) will charge you about 200Eur simply sending a box with 4kilos because the service they offer is always URGENT.

So the only chance you have is Spanish Postal Service, called "Correos", they have offices in every town.
If you get a box: 13eur first kilo, 4.65 eur each extra kilo until a max of 20kilos.
Or you can buy a prepaid bag for 10kilos: 90 eur.
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 05:12 PM

My friend sent me a small package, a pair of eyeglasses from Spain to me in USA, Florida to be exact. How long do you think it will take to get here? he says he shipped it normal mail.

Do you think it will take longer than 30 days to get to me?

If anyone knows please let me know
Old Jul 19th, 2012, 07:42 PM

The Spanish mail is notoriosuly slow but usually it does not take three years to get a response.
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 01:56 PM

Aduchamp1- "3yrs to get a response?" i do not get what you mean?

What i was asking is if the glasses were mailed from Spain would it get to me in the USA in 30 days or less? i ask cause i will be moving.
Old Jul 20th, 2012, 02:12 PM

Auduchamp obviously looked at the original poster's date!
I think normal mail is nowadays all airmail and you should get your glasses in no more than a week

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -