Search

Mail in Europe

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2000, 09:19 PM
Jenn

Mail in Europe

I am going to be in Granada, Spain for four weeks in a Spanish Language Immersion Program in June and July. At the end of the program, I plan on traveling into France, Italy, Switzerland, and anything else I can squeeze in the next 18 days! There will probably be things I would like to have during my extended stay that I won't need (or want to carry) for the rest of my trip. I am arriving in Barcelona, and leaving from Geneva (don't ask...) How expensive would it cost to send some of those extras back to the USA? How long would it take to get back? Is this a feasible idea? I realize it may take a while to get back via mail, but I'm trying to figure this all out! Any ideas would be welcomed! Thanks in advance! <BR><BR>

Old May 12th, 2000, 05:33 AM
Rick

One important factor to consider is US tax on clothing & goods that you mail into the US. I don't remember specific shipping costs, but it's quite annoying to have to pay tax on clothing that I brought from the US. The post office won't let you pick up your package before you pay the predetermined US customs tax, so you can't argue the fact that they are not acquired abroad. If I were to do it again I would write a clear description "used dirty clothing purchased in the US" Of course you should carry all the items you acquire in Europe with you.Rick

Old May 12th, 2000, 06:21 AM
Rex

I think that the answer I would give to my own daughters is this - - if you don't think you'll need it for the 18 days after your study period, then you won't really need it for the 30 days of study either. <BR> <BR>What are some examples of things you think you will want during the first 30 days but not during the 18 after? Almost everything that comes to mind is electrical (window fan, iron, radio - - these are some examples of things that students often take with them to a summer study program on an American college campus) - - I would say buy it there, if you MUST have it, and find someone to sell it to, when it comes time to move on to the travel portion of your trip. <BR> <BR>Or am I missing your point? <BR> <BR>I suppose if it is books you're thinking of, then the mail might truly be a worhwhile method of avoiding a hefty "lug-around". And indeed, if your reading skills really do progress to a high level, there is no better "take-home" from Europe than a nice collection of books (in Spanish presumably) - - that you might otherwise have trouble finding "back home" (in the US, I'm guessing?) <BR> <BR>If that's the case - - let's say you have 20 books at 3 pounds each, then I would strongly consider taking a dozen or two foam padded envelopes and mail each one individually. Especially if you stagger your mailings, I don't think you will really have customs to face - - but even if you did, it seems a small price to pay for a priceless gift to yourself that will last long after your trip. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old May 12th, 2000, 06:55 AM
martha python

I don't think you have to pay duty on belongings you brought from the U.S.--just write "U.S. goods returned home" on the box. The cheapest way to ship things is surface mail, but that can take a long time, meaning up to six months, as I recall. <BR>I'm with Rex on this one. Do without or buy it there if at all possible.

Old May 13th, 2000, 01:39 AM
nevado

I answered your question on "Packing"- there are book rates and surface mail only takes 2-3 months. FYI- I've sent home vertually everything from Spain, new and used items alike, and have NEVER been charged a duty tax.