Search

Magic Kingdom

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2003, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Magic Kingdom

No, not about Disneyland Paris. Sorry to disappoint all you Mouseketeers. <BR><BR>Rather, a very good article about Dubrovnik in the January 2003 issue of Smithsonian. <BR><BR>&quot;On a silent night you can almost hear the ghosts. There is magic in this city.&quot; -- famous Dubrovnik actor Mise Martinovic<BR><BR>http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smiths...c_kingdom.html
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 11:46 AM

Thanks for the link Capo - have begun planning my Sept trip back to Croatia. The picture of the umbrellas and sunbathers was taken at the Hotel Excelsior - in the background is the Old Town - ahh, what balm in the middle of February.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

You're welcome, Mark. I'm sure glad that Dubrovnik seems to have escaped serious damage from the shelling it got. Ever since I first read about it back in the 80s, it's appealed to me and I hope to visit it someday. What city would one most likely fly into...Zagreb? Is there a ferry that runs from Italy directly to Dubrovnik?
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 12:22 PM

Yes, nice link Capo. I've got 90 days to go before we leave...<BR><BR>We are flying into Frankfurt from the US and then catching a plane to Dubrovnik, getting there at 11:20 am next day. That flight is through Croatian Airlines. The flights to Dubrovnik are offered 3 or 4 times a week, otherwise it is Zagreb to fly into. <BR><BR>There are ferries from Bari, I know Patrick did that last year. You can also take an overnight ferry from Rijeka (in Croatia). The ferry was my original plan, but connections started to complicate things. <BR><BR>Anyhow, I'll use the article to tide me over.<BR><BR>(Hi Mark, one of your contacts you gave helped me out with the Split/Hvar connections I was looking for).
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 12:25 PM

That may sound confusing - &quot;We are flying into Frankfurt from the US and then catching a plane to Dubrovnik, getting there at 11:20 am next day&quot;.<BR><BR>Rather, we leave the US on Thursday and arrive in Dubrovnik Friday am at 11:20.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 02:47 PM

Actually Capo - The major airports located in Croatia are Dubrovnik, Split, Zadar,Pula and Zagreb. The first four are nicely spread out along the coast. Split being southern central, Zadar being northern central. I remember connecting flights from London to Dubrovnik and Split, not sure about the others.<BR><BR>Nancy - May will be beautiful - keep us posted.....<BR><BR>Here's a link to bike routes on the Istrian penninsula: <BR><BR>http://www.istra.com/zupan/eng/bike.html<BR><BR>(Something I plan to do for 3 weeks one summer )
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 03:38 PM

We only have about 6 hours in Dubrovnik in August. What would you do there in that time?