Madrid what to do?

Search

Madrid what to do?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2004, 01:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madrid what to do?

We are going to Madrid in August and I was just reading some threads from people that didn't like it there. If you have been there please tell me some good things to do, see and eat. Thanks
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 03:36 AM

I liked it for the general atmosphere - the people on the streets till very late. And like every other European city I've visited, part of the fun is just to wander the older parts. I'm not at all knowledgeable about art but the Prado is amazing. And don't miss the Reine Sofia museum - Picasso's Guernica is there and deserves its star status! If you have lots of time I'd check out Toledo (but not on a day trip - you need to stay overnight, and wander in an unstructured sort of way). A trip to l'escorial is also well worth it - you can go on an ordinary bus - though sad to say I didn't see inside as the King was visiting that day and it was closed (you might want to check before you go!).
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 06:14 AM
BDM

We were in Madrid Christmas 2002 and loved it! Our humble suggestion would be to try and live like the Madrilenos as much as possible (ir. Eat late, wander the city at night etc.)

We were there in the cold and only for 5 days so we didn't bother with the Retiro Park although friends tell us it's wonderful in the warm (read HOT) weather in the summer.

The art in the "big three" museums on museum row seems unsurpassed. Something for everyone between the three. Our 7 year old daughter parked herself on the floor and studied Guernica for almost a half hour. It is very enlightening as are the Dali's which I happen to love. We also spent the better part of a day at the Palace which was great. Not a grandiose (or over the top) like Versailles but lovely. We also spent some time at the Egyptian temple which is kind of out of the way but it you're in the area it's worth seeing.

We loved the food especially the baby lamb and suckling pig and the seafood is the best I've had anywhere without having the ocean in sight. We've had friends complain about the food in Spain only to find they attempted to eat at 7pm each night and were therefore relegated to the touristo restaurants. We found that by going all day, having a late lunch, having a glass of wine around 5pm and then taking a short nap allowed us to be out late for dinner each night. Going to dinner at 10:30, dining and interacting with the Madrillenos, walking off dinner and going to bed late allowed us to get it all in.

We're going to Barcelona and Denia this May and look forward to doing the same.

You'll love Madrid, enjoy. Just wander the streets, eat some Serrano ham, have a few bottles of wine and you'll love it.

Via con dios,

Brian
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Brian Your advice was very helpful!
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 02:39 PM

Just back from Madrid. We spent three nights and two very full days.

Sadly, I'll admit that before I left I allowed myself some to get tripped up in pre-concieved ideas about a place before I went. I watched a video from the library and had my in-laws negative experiences to go by. My initial thoughts about Madrid were that it's a big, crowded, polluted city with terrible traffic... and that it's the capital of the country with culture and all the goodies that come with such a place. My main draw was to go to the Prado so I could see the Valasquez paintings. I am so glad we had the time and experiences in Madrid.

From our limited time, I can suggest: good food with tremendous service, fantastic shopping, people watching, great jazz, world-class museums, interesting city walks, architecture, and some small and interesting "off-the-beaten path" gems.

We stayed at the Residencia Hotel Galiano's near the tony Salamanca discrict. Great location. Across the hotel from us was a great cafeteria, Hylogui, and we enjoyed two very different meals there. One was lunch which we ate from 2:30 - 4:30 pm and the other was dinner which we ate from 9:45 until almost midnight.

At lunch this place was packed with locals. We ate at a table in the front room next to the bar. A busy, happy, enjoyable crowd surrounded the bar. There was tremendous camaraderie between the locals who met there for lunch. Good choices on their menu del dia. Lunch included, bread, wine, first course, second course and dessert. We ate dinner in the downstairs dining room. Dinner atmosphere was very quiet, attentive service, great presentation of food and flavors. My husband had the grilled swordfish for dinner. Absolutely to die for. He took one bite and warned me that this was one meal that he was definitely not rushing through. They served an excellant ciabatto. My starter was Italian green beans with lots of garlic and some olive oil... yummy! I had fish. I think it was dorada, but it was not near as good as the swordfish... Only one other table filled. Warning... as of 27 February, the place closed for remodelling. It should be back in business for your August trip.

Another fine meal was at Posada de la Villa, Cava Baja #9. This was certainly the best smelling resturuant of the trip. Tremendous service. Excellent presentation of food, great flavors, cozy atmosphere. One tip here, if you must have the English menu, ask for the Spanish menu as well. Not everything is listed on the English menu. My husband and I both ordered from the Spanish menu. I had grilled red peppers followed by grilled sea bass (lubina)and he had seasonsal vegetables followed by grilled sole (lenguado). We enjoyed their excellent house rioja, followed by dessert, then cafe con leche. (Buy a Marling's Menu Master for Spain book before you go. It is pocket-sized and we found it quite helpful.) We ate upstairs near a large working hearth. This place was also filled with locals.

The walk along the Castellano Boulevard between the tony Salamanca district and the Prado is a nice experience. If you do this early in the day, you'll be surrounded with locals walking to work. And get a sense of the morning hum.

If you like art, see the Prado, tour the Monasterio de las Descalzas Reales and visit Sorrollos's home and studio.

There is a ceramics store, Antigua Casa de Talavera, Isabel la Católica #2, that has a fine selection of ceramics made through-out Spain. It's a bit expensive compared to what we found in Seville, but the selection is unbeatable. Everything here is hand painted and there are three jam-packed rooms and a hallway to look through.

For fine Spanish linens: Borca SA at the corner of C. Esparteros and Marques Viudo de Pontejos.

Any kind of shopping you would want to do can be found here. There is more than one branch of El Corte Ingles for department store shopping, designer shops, specialty shops. We found the sales help to be professional, helpful and attentive.

I also mentioned Jazz. We spent out last evening in Madrid at Cafe Central. Tremendous music. The area behind the stage has a mirrored wall so you can see the musicians from different angles. Cover charge was 10 euros (8 euros on Monday nights). The band played two hours. Not at all smoky.

As I said before, neither of us was all that hot on Madrid when we started planning our trip. I had to see the Prado for the Valasquez paintings. That was why Madrid was on the itinerary. We were able to get an open jaw ticket into Barcelona and out of Madrid for the same price as round trip into Barcelona. As we researched we found more and more things we wanted to do in Madrid. Two days is way too little time for all that Madrid has to offer and we have a list of things to do if and when we are fortunate enough to return.

Not to do in Madrid.... spend too much time walking during rush hour. Especially around 7:30 until 8:30 or 9 at night.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 12:24 AM
JonJon

I would add the roal palace as an additional site if you are so inclined. Plan on eating late at night and there'll be lots of places to eat outside...around the Plaza Mayor there are lots of outside places but seriously there are hundreds of great places to eat in the city..be adventurous.

The Prado is one of the three greatest museums in Europe IMO in term,s of the significant works it contains.

Madrid is big, it is majestic, it has wide boulevards like Paris...yes it has traffic but if you aren't driving who cares? it isn't any more "polluted" than a lot of other cities..the Metro is a wonderful way to get around..and be prepared for dry heat late into the night..it can be 98 degrees at midnight in August. DO NOT stay in ANY hotel that isn't air conditioned, period!
Enjoy your trip.

Old Mar 1st, 2004, 03:51 AM

I expected abousolutely nothing and was surprised we had a lovely time. We had no plans and just had a guide book and winged it. We were taken our by family the first night to a tapas bar (Cousins wife to be is Spanish) and then on our own. We had coffee every morning in the Plaza Mayor (Watch you bag) and wandered for the day from there. We went to parks, did shopping, saw a bullfight, drove to the mountains for a wedding and went to Segovia for the day. It was lovely. Our last night we found this bar below the Cafe d'Orient (SP) and there was a clear floor with Roman pots you could see from an old dig. We sat and drank wine all evening in here and it was a great last night. I regret not seeing the Prado but I will return for that.