madrid-san sebastian-barcelona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2017, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

planning a two week trip in mid april to madrid-san sebastian-barcelona.

any suggestions on renting a car vs. train/bus to travel from madrid to san sebastian to barcelona? pros and cons?

also suggestions on hotels and restaurants in all three locations. we are in our 60s, able to walk miles and miles, and prefer a moderate priced hotel in excellent location to all the sights, somewhat spacious room, and clean.

much thanks, rosemary
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 07:43 AM

I'm interested to hear replies too. We will be going to San Sebastian then Barcelona too.
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 11:06 AM
kja

Two weeks seems very little for this itinerary. Have you plotted it out on a calendar to determine whether you will be able to see everything you want to see? Madrid and surrounds can easily take 10 days. Barcelona and surrounds can easily take 10 days. San Sebastian and surrounds can easily take a week or more. (And mid-April is probably not the best time for San Sebastian.)

Here's what I recommend: Get some good guidebooks (or spend some time with a few in your local library), identify the things you most want to see in each location, check their opening/closing times on the internet, and mark them on a calendar. Pencil in your transportation, add some time on either side (for getting to/from your lodging, checking in/out, packing/unpacking, getting oriented, etc.). Then see how things fit together. And BTW, note that many things in Spain are closed on Monday, and often for all or part of Sundays too; and many things in Spain will also be closed daily for a very long mid-day break.

Trains in Spain are incredibly easy, convenient, and comfortable. Buses are easy and convenient. Car rentals can be expensive, can make time in cities very very complicated (trying to get around is rarely easy by car, and you'll probably have to pay a LOT to park in these cities). In addition:

- Driving can be stressful – and I say that as someone who loves driving! But some roads are challenging, unexpected detours or GPS failures can be a bit daunting, and driving into cities (and finding parking) can make the last part of a long trip less than pleasant.

- Driving – or at least responsible driving – can also pose constraints on the driver. For example, the driver may be unable to truly enjoy spectacular scenery, as s/he needs to pay attention to the road -- sometimes, very careful attention! And depending on how much one eats and one’s size and and how long one relaxes over a meal, even a glass of wine with lunch may carry risks.

- Driving is generally not a particularly green choice – and for some of us, that is a worthy consideration.

- And one of the best things about taking public transportation: It can sometimes give you wonderful opportunities to interact with people from the area, or gain insights into local norms and traditions.

If you use the search box at the top right of this board, you will find LOTS of threads about hotels and restaurants in these locations.

Hope that helps!
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 02:27 PM

I would recommend flying from SS to Barcelona - the flights are fairly affordable and by far the fastest way to get between the two cities.

We drove from Madrid to SS, but that was because we were also staying a couple nights in the Picos. If we weren't stopping in the mountains I think we would have looked into public transportation. It would be a long drive if there wasn't anything in between that you were interested in.

For hotels, check out the Paradores - they're owned by the government and are usually in historic buildings or in cool locations.
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 02:52 PM

I agree with the suggestion to fly San Sebastian to Barcelona,. My main reason for choosing this is the time of year that you are going. The drive is not impossibly long, whether you go through Spain or through France. But in spring, the chance of a rain storm is present, and it can make the driving tiring. Plus, you really don't need a car in San Sebastian and it is expensive + complicated to park one there.

The San Sebastian airport is small and not hectic as I recall. And it is simple to take public transport from San Sebastian to the center of Barcelona once you arrive, although a taxi is not extravagantly expennsive, and a nice treat if you are dragging luggage and don't know the city.

For most tourists to Madrid, staying in the museums area is just what they want, especially if they are staying in Madrid for less than a week. Checking out a hotel website like booking.com or trip advisor gives you a lot of data.

San Sebastian is small, so if you are walkers it really doens't matter which part you sleep in. Sea views cost you a pretty penny. Up to you if you want to splurge. Again. hotel websites give you a lot of info + pictures + prices.

I've been to Barcelona twice but neither time liked my hotel or location for reasons that wouldn't help you decide anything -- so I'll leave that advice to other posters here. I will say that sprawling Barcelona is extremely well-served by public transporation (as is Madrid) with the caveat that both cities have a not-unfounded reputation for subway-pickpockets. They are not violent but they are pros. I would not avoid using public transportation or avoid hotels that were in peripheral areas. But I would, before entering a bus or subway train, have taken all the smart precautions about securing valuables. It's simple to do and it works.
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 02:57 PM

After I hit the key, I noticed I made a big goof in what I wrote, but maybe you figured it out: I was trying to say that once you land at Barcelona airport, it's easy to get to the center of town.
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 04:49 PM

You don't want a car in any of these cities, so I would look into other transportation, train or flights.

I mapped out driving from San Sebastian to Barcelona for our own trip, but concluded that the distances are much longer than we find comfortable, without stopping somewhere in between, as GemmaRose says.

Unless you really love cities, if it were my trip, I would choose 2 cities with some day trips to fill in. That way you get to see some of the lovely countryside of Spain as well as the cities.

In my experience, a car is good when we want to amble along and take the scenic route.

If we just want to get somewhere fast, we take the train, and relax, or fly.
Old Feb 18th, 2017, 10:51 PM

Suggest the high speed AVE train between Madrid and Barcelona, and then low cost flight from Barcelona to Bilbao (70 mins) - then direct bus from Bilbao airport to San Sebastián in 70 mins.

Restaurants and <a moderate priced hotel in excellent location to all the sights>:

San Sebastián:
Hostal Alemana (a hostal in Spain is small, hotel standard, and Alemena is in the best location in town, 50 meters from the beautiful La Concha beach promenade, and five mins walk to the famous Parte vieja/ Old town): http://hostalalemana.com/en/

San Sebastián is the gastronomical capital of Spain, and fabulous restaurants and pintxos bars on every corner. But I highly recommend Casa Urola, my favourite restaurant in town since the late eighties. It was recently voted best restaurant in the area by the major regional newspaper El Diario Vasco. You have of course all the Michelin star restaurants around here, but Casa Urola just represents the essence of the food culture up here; the meticulous preparation of great produce: http://www.casaurolajatetxea.es/en/portada/
http://www.casaurolajatetxea.es/es/b...a-2015_11.html

And the Urola pintxos bar on the ground floor is now arguably the best in town. Visited all days on our last trip in October: http://allaboutfoodmag.com/de_pintxos-en-casa-urola/

Barcelona:
Banys Orientals: http://www.hotelbanysorientals.com/en/
In medieval and vibrant El Born, in the heart of the city, a cradle of Catalan identity and culture: https://www.barcelona-tourist-guide....s/el-born.html

7 Portes from 1836 is an institution in town, tons of Barcelona history in the walls and excellent, traditional Catalan food. Next door to El Born: http://7portes.com/en/

Madrid:
We use to stay in Persal or Hotel Plaza Mayor, both are between majestic Plaza Mayor and vibrant Plaza Santa Ana, as central as it gets.
http://www.hostalpersal.com/en/
http://www.h-plazamayor.com/en/

Casa Alberto from 1827, just off Plaza Santa Ana, is always a must in Madrid, both traditional and cutting edge, one "sol" in the Guía Repsol, the Spanish eqvuivalent to the Michelin guide, and very affordable for what you get. Average 35€ for a full meal. Also a fabulous little tapas bar in front of the restaurant: http://www.casaalberto.es/en/the-restaurant.html
https://www.guiarepsol.com/es/gastro...-casa-alberto/
Old Feb 20th, 2017, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

thank you for all of your responses/suggestions, appreciated very much!
Old Feb 20th, 2017, 09:52 AM

Personally when a direct train is 6 hours or less, I choose that over a flight. That's the case San Sebastian from Madrid or Barcelona.
Old Feb 20th, 2017, 11:27 AM

We just stayed at the H10 Cubik in Barcelona and loved it. There are a couple of other hotels right there as well, but I recommend that area.

It's walking distance to the old gothic city, to the port, to Casa Mila and Casa Botllo, Passeig de Gracia, is just about across the street from the Palau de Musica and is a 1 minute walk to 2 good metro lines that got us most everywhere. Pretty much in the center of it all.