Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Madrid is finalized-now the Sur beckons!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm spending 4.5 days in Madrid and then wanted to go to the south to see the Alhambra, Sevilla and perhaps Ronda some other sites. I'm leaving Madrid March 27th but have to be back to Madrid airport for a 10am flight on the 3rd.

I'd thought I'd stay overnight at Granada and 3 or so days in Sevilla then go back and stay at an hotel by the airport the last night. I'm just not sure the easiest way to get around by public transport and back to Madrid.

I could spend the 27, 28,29 in Sevilla making a day trip to Ronda, then travel to Granada on the 30 and leave the 2nd to go back to Madrid?

Can I get from Granada back to Madrid by train?
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 01:57 PM

OK - so is it correct that you have 6 nights (plus the 1 final night you'll need to be in Madrid) for Sevilla and Granada?

If so, I'd spend 4 nights in Sevilla and 2 in Granada. You could daytrip to Ronda from Sevilla. I'd also consider stopping in Cordoba on the way from Madrid to Sevilla.

Do you realize that you'll be in Andalucia during the start of Semana Santa (Holy Week)? You'll definately want to book your transportation in advance as many people will be traveling in this area. If you don't mind crowds and your budget isn't tight (hotel prices are much higher during this time especially in Sevilla) you may consider visiting Granada first and then going to Sevilla. The processionals in both cities are beautiful but they are the most famous in Sevilla.

Either way you can't go wrong!
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 02:15 PM

Do you have to split your Madrid stays? If you can combine your Madrid stays at the end, you can eliminate one hotel checkin/out cycle as well as an unproductive overnight stay at the airport.

While you can train back from Granada to Madrid, coming back from Seville is easier. For this to work, it is best if you can fly into Granada to start your trip.
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 02:23 PM

I like that idea - but it does mean missing out on Semana Santa in Andalucia........
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, I booked non-refundable plane tickets and accomadations in Madrid.

Thank you for telling me about Santa Semana. I took your advice and looked at Sevilla for the end of my stay 4 nights. I booked the Hotel Amadeus and snagged the last standard room. Of course all the cheaper hotels were booked. Debated about staying Palm Sunday night as rooms were double the price but I decided it will be an experience and I'll just need to work more when I return. Hope the hotel is decent.

Now on to Granada.
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 03:10 PM

emily71 - You are so lucky to have got the last room! The Hotel Amadeus is excellent.

I'll actually be in Sevilla the Friday before Semana Santa. There are supposed to also be a couple of processionals on Viernes de Dolores (the Friday before Palm Sunday) that will be in the city center or Triana.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...dalucia.html#0

The Explore Sevilla website is a wealth of information on Sevilla. Their section on Semana Santa is excellent:

http://www.exploreseville.com/events/semana-santa.htm
Old Jan 20th, 2012, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

I've narrow my budget Granada search to either

1)Hotel Reina Cristina
or
2)Hotel Navas

Both are budget hotels and located in the center of town.

Anyone? Ferris?