Search

madrid hotels

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 1999, 04:36 PM
EPerez

madrid hotels

Can anyone vouch for any of these hotels in central Madrid? <BR>We're visiting in March-2000 and are considering Hotel Paris, Hotel Mediodia and El Galiano. We're also looking at the Hostal Cervantes and Hostal Buenos Aires. As per the guide books, we thought about the kitschy Monaco, but my wife-to-be is wary of the descriptions of the rough Chueca surroundings. Does anyone have an opinion on that? <BR>Also if anyone has any other mid-priced hotels in the 10-18,000 peseta/double room range, we'd appreciate a recommendation. <BR>We'd like a central location, not too noisy and if possible a view, though i hear that's limited in Madrid.

Old Oct 20th, 1999, 05:58 PM
Maribel

Please, please, please don't stay at the Monaco, precisely because of the very rough around the edges, drug dealing Chueca district! It's a tawdry area that I avoid, especially at night because of the drug trade. <BR> I have used the Galiano and have sent friends there. Its location is the polar opposite of the Monaco; it's on the very safest street in Madrid, above the Ministerio del Interior, which is the government agency that fights Basque terrorism and has the street filled with submachine gun totting Guardia Civil and dogs which sniff all cars that enter during the day. The Galiano is decently priced (about $85, less on weekends), rooms have an old-fashioned, comfy feel with satellite TV, radio, AC, minibars, h.dryers, but it doesn't have a cafeteria or restaurant, although there is the very good "Hylogui" across the street. Also no bellhops, room service. It's a place used by repeat visitors to the city who know Madrid well and don't need many amenities. The public rooms are antique filled (used to be a nobleman's mansion), and it's very quiet, on an elegant side street across from the Plaza Colon, off the Castellana with metro stop and busses nearby. I found it through a recommendation in the NY Times, and it's also recommended in Penelope Casas' "Discovering Spain". <BR>

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 09:35 AM
michele

My friend stays at the Paris fairly regulary and loves the location and the elegant lobby. I stayed at the Moderno, in the same area ( Old Madrid, easy walking distance to everything), but found it to be too dark and noisy. I am, however, picky about noise, and the only room avaiable faced the street. <BR>The Moderno is in your price range and is clean and simple with a good location. I would do a search on this as I know there are other recommendations that would help you. <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 02:03 PM
Judi

We stayed at the Paris last November. It is a charming old hotel, kind of like staying at your great aunt's, except the knick knacks are glued down. The location is great...right off the Puerto del Sol. I think it was around $79/night. <BR>

Old Oct 21st, 1999, 04:38 PM
Freddy

I just came back from visiting Madrid. We stayed at Hotel Europa and it is very close to Puerta Sol and walking distint to everywhere. Double room was 8,200 pesta. They are listing in Rick Steve's book. The highlight of the trip was visiting Alcazar in Toledo. We took the bus (585 pestas one-way) and it left every 1/2 hour.

Old Nov 1st, 1999, 10:32 AM
Barb

Loved the Mora Hotel...right across from the Prado about 50-60 dollars a night.