Transportation Budapest to Prague

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2012, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My adult daughter and I will be finishing a trip beginning in Vienna and ending in Budapest on a Sunday in early July. We would like to go from Budapest to Prague as efficiently and inexpensively as possible. Could you please give me some suggestions as to the best mode of transportation?
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 01:44 PM

I took the train. Forgot the cost, but i do recall it was easy, relatively short and inexpensive. If you look online, you should be able to find a website where you can price out train tickets to give you a sense of the cost and time.

Enjoy
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 02:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Do you already have your air tickets? If not, consider flying into Budapest, taking the train to Vienna, then taking a shuttle from Vienna to Prague. Fly out of Prague. Or you can reverse the order. More efficient than your current plan.

(I did the reverse trip and took a bus from Prague to C. Krumlov and the Lobo Shuttle from C. Krumlov to Linz and a train from Linz to Vienna).

Highly recommend a night or two in C. Krumlov!!!
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies.

Joannyc, we are not able to change the routing. How long was the bus ride to C. Krumlov?
Old Feb 21st, 2012, 06:03 PM

It's about 3 1/4 hours to C. Krumlov from Prague by bus which is faster than the train.

Can you not change your routing because you have already purchased your airline tickets? If that is the case, check into what the difference would be to change those tickets vs. the cost of getting from Budapest to Prague.

BTW, I took a local day tour from Vienna to Budapest. But, I threw my luggage in the back of the van. When the tour was finished in Budapest, I grabbed my luggage out of the back of the van and checked into my hotel... so I got the transportation to Budapest from Vienna plus a tour of Budapest. Cost was probably close to taking a taxi to train in Vienna, train to Budapest, and taxi to hotel in Budapest. So, I figure the tour was free! ;-)
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

I hesitate to tell Fodorites this, but we are taking the Globus Croatian Tour, so we are locked in to their schedule. We are going to Vienna early to see the Lippizaner horses, and we are going to Prague on our own after the tour finishes.

Thanks again for your help.
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 05:29 PM

Enjoy your trip! You're going to some great places!