Reload this Page >

Madrid - Hidden gems?

Search

Madrid - Hidden gems?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 01:20 AM
Xenos

Madrid - Hidden gems?

Going to Madrid for 3 nights at the start of April. <BR><BR>I've researched the main museums, palaces and squares on Virtourist, MadridMan and Multimadrid, but has anyone got any suggestions for lesser known (ie less touristy) sights that we should look out for please?<BR><BR>Also, we've booked to stay at the Best Western Arosa - any recent personal experiences please?

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 02:54 AM
Maira

Xenos, there is a lot to see and enjoy in Madrid that could easily fill three days. For lesser known sights, I would strongly suggest the Museum of America, located in Avenida Reyes Catolicos. I took a taxi from Gran Via, but the metro station (Moncloa) is very close by, as well as a bus stop. When I visited in April 2000 there was some renovation work going on to install multimedia presentations that should be up and going now. I was tremendously surprised of the magnitude of the exhibits. The museum displays numerous artifacts and pieces of the religious, social, and economical life of Pre-Columbian civilizations and colonial life. It is always been known that a lot of archeological artifacts were taken to Spain by Spaniards returning home, but I was taken aback by the pieces that are still in Spain's posession. I still remembered entering the room where they are exhibiting the Treasure of the Quimbayas (pre-Columbian civilization from Colombia), and the glow of the golden artifacts taken from two graves iluminates the whole room. It was both breathtaking and sad. Huge reliefs (stones) taken from temples in Palenque (Mayas), ceremonial artifacts taken from the Incas, amazing pieces of clothing taken from the Tlingit (Alaska), it even houses the American version of the Rosetta Stone, the Tudela Code, a 125-page dictionary put together by a Franciscan missionary and an Aztec priest. Definitely worth the time. <BR><BR>Very nice facilities, the museum is closed on Mondays and free on Wednesdays. Enjoy Spain, a wonderful travel destination.<BR><BR>As far as Best Western facilities in Madrid, they are generally very good, I usually stay the Best Western in Gran Via (Atlantico) and loved it. They have a free shuttle service from the airport and $6/pp to the Airport. Great breakfast buffet, surpringsingly quiet for the location.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 04:50 AM
Julie

Try the Museo Cerralbo, the house of a duke who had a fabulous art collection. The interiors are very interesting. If you've been to the Musee Jacquemart Andre in Paris, this one is very much like it--only Spanish. We found it an interesting contrast to the Palace since furnishings in both are roughly contemporary with the other, just royal vs. bourgeous wealthy. It was our favorite museum in Madrid.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 05:37 AM
Joyce

I agree with the Museum of America recommendation. If you have an interest in pre-Hispanic art of the Americas, you will find this a fascinating place. The collections of old South American textile weavings are particularly impressive.<BR><BR>I also loved the Convento de las Descalzas Reales. The rooms are incredibly beautiful. However, this place can be be difficult to visit because it has limited hours, and can be seen only by a required guided tour.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 12:29 PM
Xenos

Thanks for the replies so far. <BR><BR>Sorry if my first post was a little misleading, but I think we've got more than enough museums and galleries to cope with now! Was rather hoping that someone might know of some interesting walks, scenic views, street markets, etc. We love &quot;mooching around&quot; and have got our fingers crossed that the weather will be good enough not to have to spend too much of our time indoors. Living in Northern England, it's got to be better than at home!<BR><BR>Would also still like to hear from anyone who has stayed at the Arosa, please.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 01:38 PM
Joyce

If you are looking for warmth, Madrid in April may not be the best place to visit. Madrid is on a high plateau, so it can get very windy and cold. When I was there last May, it was cold enough for a winter jacket, hat, and scarf.<BR><BR>Also, much of Madrid is very modern and urban, more like Manhattan than Paris. Aside from some quaint streets around the Palace, I did not see many older areas.<BR><BR>If you want warmth and quaintness, I suggest taking a day-trip to Cordoba. I think the train ride was about 2 hours when I took it. In this short amount of time, I went from Madrid's freezing cold to Cordoba's palm trees, beautiful gardens, and charming neighborhoods. Another good day-trip would be to Toledo. It is only an hour away from Madrid, and much warmer.

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 01:45 PM
Sandy

Stayed at the Arosa in October for 4 nights. Overall, I thought the hotel was an excellent value. (I wouldn't, however, call it a 4 star hotel!) About 1/2 block off the Gran Via. Had trouble with the temperature in the rooms - although it was over 70 outside, the heat had been turned on. I was told that hotels in Madrid have either heat or a/c, and that as it was late October, the heat was now on. Room was large and relatively clean. Did not like the suggestions of the desk for restaurants, but did find the hotel restaurant to be just fine. Used their shuttle to go to the airport which was great. Feel free to email (without the xx) if you have any other specific questions.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 06:17 AM
Debbie

Xenos, My favorite place in Madrid was the Retiro Park (I hope I have the name right) It is very close to the Prado. I loved sitting there and watching the people, some practicing Tai Chi, some out with their kids. Very peaceful and a chance to be with the locals enjoying their day.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 06:46 AM
tommy

I thought of two less frequently touristed places that I like in Madrid. <BR><BR>The first is the church of San Francisco el Grande. It does not compare to the dramatic cathedrals found elsewhere in Spain, but has some works by Goya and Zurbaran. <BR><BR>The second is the Sorolla Museum. It is the former villa and studio of the artist himself, still furnished as such with a pretty garden and housing many of his works. A delightful oasis in the middle of a busy neighborhood. The last time I was there, it was in desperate need of a new roof, and I understand it closed shortly thereafter for renovation. I am not sure if it has reopened.

Old Jan 13th, 2003, 12:18 PM
cooter

Well, it ain't exactly hidden, and some may argue whether it's a gem, but I thoroughly enjoy El Rastro, the enormous open-air flea market that takes up a big chunk of Madrid on Sunday mornings and early afternoons. Literally everything is available, from mass-produced junk to real junk to antiques. Go, and explore the side streets in particular. <BR><BR>

Old Jan 18th, 2003, 01:32 AM
Xenos

Thanks for the hotel report Sandy. Since the supposed 4-star Arosa is slightly cheaper than the 3-star Carlos V (both Best Western) we aren't expecting luxury, but it sounds like it should fit our needs.<BR><BR>We'll definitely check out the Retiro Park and El Rastro - thanks Debbie and Cooter. Also my Time Out guide describes the Teleferico cable car ride as &quot;breath-taking&quot; - anybody done it?

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 11:22 AM
Maribel

Xenos,<BR>Maira, Julie, Joyce and tommy have already given you my favorite hidden gems (www.mcu.es/nmuseos/sorolla/ indicates that the Sorolla may have now reopened-the L&aacute;zaro Galiano, another gem, even more like the Jacquemart Andre in Paris than the Cerralbo, is still closed for major reconstruction).<BR><BR>I'll just add to what cooter has told you about exploring the back streets of Old Madrid, the highly atmospheric Madrid de los Austrias, or the Hapsburgs' Madrid. Here's my little walking tour, similar to the guided one given by the Madrid tourist office on the Plaza Mayor during the summer: <BR><BR>I would do this in the a.m., <BR>starting in the Plaza Mayor, walk through the arch and down the steps to the Calle de Cuchilleros, then at Puerta Cerrada take a left (save the lively tapas bar filled Cava Baja and wine bars of Calle del Nuncio &amp; Almendro for a 9 p.m. stroll) on to Calle Tinteros to the Plaza de Segovia where you'll pass the Baroque Catedral de San Isidro on the corner of Toledo (where Tinteros becomes Calle Colegiata), then stroll down Toledo until you reach the Plaza de la Cebada, the heart of the la Latina quarter, where you'll see a large covered market on your left, then on to the Plaza del Humilladero, another squarr filled with lively terrazas and tapas bars (if you were to go left at the Plaza de la Cebada you'd reach the Plaza Cascorro and Ribera de Curtadores, the heart of El Rastro flea market), then walk down to the Plaza Puerta de Moros, the site of one of 4 gates to the medieval town, then down Carrera de San Francisco to the Bas&iacute;lica San Francisco el Grande at the square of the same name, often depicted by Goya (inside you'll find an early work by Goya and apostles by Ribera in the sacristy), then down San Buenaventura to the Plaza de Gabriel Mir&oacute; in the Jardines de las Vistillas where you'll see the church of the Almudena and Royal Palace below, my favorite viewpoint in Madrid. (This is more &quot;breathtaking&quot; to me than the telef&eacute;rico ride). There go up Calle de la Morer&iacute;a to the intersection of Bail&eacute;n. Take a left and walk down Bail&eacute;n past the Almudena Cathedral and take a guided tour of the enormous 18th c Rococo Royal Palace. Only 50 of the 2,800 rooms can be visited, along with the pharmacy and the Royal Armoury. Save time to stroll through the Sabatini Gardens before you leave. Then cross over to see the Royal Opera House at the Plaza del Oriente, Madrid's most beautiful square, then behind the Opera, to the right of Plaza Isabel II, you'll see steps leading up (Calle Escalinata) that will take you to the Calle Mayor, one of the most ancient thoroughfares of the city, where you'll take a left to walk past the city hall, Casa de la Villa on the pretty Plaza de la Villa (to your left), then at the square, turn around and backtrack towards the Puerta del Sol, Madrid's &quot;Times Square&quot; and transp. hub, but before reaching Sol, exactly where you came up Escalinata, take a right on to the Plaza San Miguel where you'll see another turn-of-the-century covered market (notice the decorative ironwork), the Mercado de San Miguel, then stroll down the Cava San Miguel past the caves, the &quot;mesones&quot;, popular with u. students at night, then back up the arch of Cuchilleros into the Plaza Mayor. <BR>

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 11:46 AM
natco

Don't waste your Sunday at the Rastro!All it is nowadays is junk,stuff you would find at Big Lots.In the past you could really find some good old Spanish merchandise.Now it's a mass of cheap non-Spanish stuff and a sea of people like you've never seen in your life

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 03:20 PM
toppergirl

topping a good thread...

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 07:51 AM
cooter

I can only second Maribel's very detailed suggestion for a great walk in the city. To me, that is one of the principal charms of Madrid, the life on the streets. Have not done the teleferico, but some friends recently took their young son--he loved it, they were bored. But, they live in Madrid, so it was nothing new...<BR><BR>As for the Rastro, I agree that it isn't what it was. Lots of cheap, mass-produced junk. Nevertheless, if you take your time, and brach off of the main drag (Ribera de Curtadores)you can still find plenty of interesting old stuff, everything from old hardware to art, to mountains of old junk. the crowds are staggering, which is part of the appeal for me; watching the swirling mass of humanity, the masterful haggling, the arguments, etc. Nice to pop into a bar and have a beer while watching the spectacle. I always end up with something, and enjoy the experience.

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 08:55 AM
Maribel

Xenos,<BR>While I realize that you now have an over abundance of suggestions of museums, historical sites to visit, I'd just like to add one more that hasn't yet been mentioned for others, art lovers in particular, who are planning a visit to Madrid.<BR><BR>&quot;Museo de la Real Academia de Bellas Artes de San Fernando&quot; on Alcal&aacute; 1, housed in an palace designed by Churriguera and opened in the late 1700's (the Academy has had such illustrious students as Picasso and Dal&iacute-a little gem that isn't always mentioned in the travel guides. <BR>It boasts 13 works by Goya, displayed in a special room (including his famous &quot;Entierro de la Sardina&quot and is also strong in 17th c Baroque, with works by Rubens, Vel&aacute;zquez, Zurbar&aacute;n, Murillo, Ribera (Spanish Baroque is my great love) and even has a few works by Sorolla and Juan Gris. It has just been expanded and crowds are never, ever a problem here. <BR>Open daily. Tues-Fri from 9-7 <BR>Sat.Sun.Mon from 9-2:30<BR><BR>If you do venture down to the Rastro area on Sunday morning (watch your wallet please!), a very &quot;typical&quot; and entertaining event afterwards to see the natives at play is to have tapas before lunch (around noon) at one of the very &quot;castizo&quot; taverns in the area such as La Taberna de Antonio S&aacute;nchez, dating from the mid-1800's, on Mes&oacute;n de Paredes 13, a couple of blocks from El Rastro's starting pt. on Plaza Cascorro. Try their artery-clogging but delicious &quot;huevos estrellados&quot; (fried eggs and potatoes) or their cod/potato/egg omelete, the &quot;tortilla de San Isidro&quot;. It will be packed to the rafters before lunch, and the locals will be drinking the tavern's famous vermouth, &quot;vermut del grifo&quot;. This makes for great &quot;mooching around&quot;.<BR><BR>typo: The museum closed for renovation is the L&aacute;zaro GalDiano.<BR>

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 02:26 PM
Maribel

Me again, just one last time.<BR><BR>Just found out, courtesy of Val at madridman.com, that the masterpieces of the Museo L&aacute;zaro Galdiano (currently under reconstruction) are on temporary display, but only until Feb. 9, at the Fundaci&oacute;n Santander Central Hispano, located in the Salamanca district at Marqu&eacute;s de Villamagna 3, next to the Hotel Villamagna.<BR><BR>Just in case any art lover out there is planning a Madrid visit in the next 2 weeks..<BR>The exhibit includes works by Goya and Hieronymus Bosch (in Spain known as El Bosco).

Old Jan 20th, 2003, 05:32 PM
jw

I also enjoyed Retiro Park, went there almost every day. It gets extremely packed on Sundays.<BR>A small church on Paseo de la Florida, called Ermita de San Antonio de la Florida (the Church of San Antonio de la Florida) has a frescoe ceiling by Goya.<BR>The best meals are the &quot;menu of the day&quot;.