Reload this Page >

Madrid firsttimer - need help on restaurants

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 1997, 07:47 AM
Erika

The most memorable restaurant in Madrid, for me, was El Bodegon. It is a classy restaurant, and is world famous for serving roasted piglet. It's been a few years since I've been to Madrid, so I don't know how it is today. Most meals I ate were in the bars - tapas etc. Wonderful variety, even if I didn't have a clue as to what some of the dishes were. Couldn't face eating squid in its own ink, but did try the garlic octopus - not bad, but rather rubbery.

Old Nov 14th, 1997, 03:56 AM
Helen Scott

Can't really recommend the food that much - we stuck pretty much to tapas, paella and insalatas - but can recommend a hotel. Hotel Atlantico on the Gran Via. I think it's maybe a Great Western, but would never tell. Lovely rooms, very central position, and was Aus $125, 3 years ago.

Old Nov 26th, 1997, 05:16 AM
L.

Just got back from Madrid. Stayed at the Palace Hotel near the Prado. There is a great Tappa bar Down the street near the Palace Hotel called Delores. Also ate at Lista number 6. don't know where it was but it was good. Great tassle buys at Galon's on Lagasca 8
Dinners are kind of expensive but good!

Old Dec 19th, 1997, 07:51 PM
Andy Bronstein

We are also arriving in Madrid on the 26th. Planning to be there through New Years Eve and then the AVE to Cordoba. Do you know of any one day tours to the outer cities, like Toledo?

Old Dec 21st, 1997, 12:14 PM
Paul Resnick

Just returned 12/16/97 from one week in Madrid. Stayed at Palace Hotel - vastly over rated and poor value. Smoking is very common in Madrid and restaurants (not like USA) so almost all meals in restaurants could by and very often were adjacent to heavy smokers (cigarettes and cigars). We found Tapas bars to be smoke filled and would not enter. Apparently this is more of a problem in winter when the doors aren't left open and when you can't eat outside. Be warned that the main courses in Spain are just that-order fish and out comes a naked piece of fish - nothing else!! We found the food not memorable. Salads and vegetables (green) with the exception of olives are not prominent in Madrid. We ate in some upscale and highly rated restaurants e.g. Zalacain and La Trainera. Both were not very good and even less value for the money. If you are interested in food go to Italy or France.
We visited Toledo and during the 2nd week in Dec there were almost no tourists.
Good luck with the weather and enjoy.