Madrid Bullfights in late July

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family is considering (still some internal debating going on) attending a bullfight during our trip to Spain this summer. However, it seems that the decision may have been made for us as I am not finding any events planned for late July in Madrid. Am I missing something or are there truly not any fights scheduled for that time?
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 07:12 AM

You're correct, there are bullfights scheduled in Madrid in July. There are bullfights in Barcelona and of course the feria in Pamplona during Sanfermines.

The 15th of July is the "big exodus", when everyone who can leaves the city, heading out on holiday for the next month, leaving the city to tourist.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your response Robert2533....that settles that decision for us! Onto deciding every other detail of our trip...hopefully the rest of the calendar will cooperate with our desired plans.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 09:34 AM

why would you even consider taking your family to such a bloodbath? If they still had gladiator contests in Rome would you want to go there too?
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 02:29 PM

Go to your bullfight, littlebird. You don't need to seek permission nor should others question or belittle your decision or intentions.

After you have been to that bullfight you can then comment on it with some authority as to whether or not it was good for you.

Joe
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 03:12 PM

Nothing like blood and gore to bring a family together.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 03:33 PM

It has certainly brought Spanish families together for generations. They remain healthy in outlook and liberal and accommodating in their opinions of other cultures. Perhaps a lesson to be learned by some?

Joe
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 08:08 PM

Palenque & jetsetj, please try to contain yourselves. You might hurt yourselves. Are you familiar with the term being "self-righteous".
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 08:16 PM

Im sorry, it is murder to me.

Go see the PBR instead.
Thats entertainment.
The bulls/bullriders/and those bullfighter are true athletes.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 11:32 PM

Then I guess your comment of "Live and let live" is selective.
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 04:00 AM

For me, I just get a little weary of seeing folks make an enquiry and end up being judged and condemned.

littlebird, you will either love or loathe it but go and make up your own mind. That's exactly how it should be.

Joe
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 04:15 AM

I cringe when I see anything about "bullfight" in the title. NOTHING gets the Fodorites going like debating a bullfight.

I'm on the pro-bullfight side, but am not going to say another post about it. I think anyone with leather shoes on their feet or a leather belt holding their pants up and is against bullfighting is a large hypocrite. The bullfight bulls are treated tons better than feedlot cows who are eventually hit in the head by a large hammer. At least at the bullfight there is a small chance they might win!

But to answer your questions, bullfighting has a season, much like wanting to see a football game in the USA in summer. If they aren't having one, then they aren't having one.
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 04:26 AM

kelliebellie wrote: "I think anyone with leather shoes on their feet or a leather belt holding their pants up and is against bullfighting is a large hypocrite."

I am satisfied that the animals killed so that I can have my leather shoes and my leather belt, and the red meat on my table, are killed humanely. If they were not, I would not consume the products.

When the crowds at bullfights are prepared to cheer if a bull kills a toreador I might have a higher opinion of them.
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 04:39 AM

I am satisfied that the animals killed so that I can have my leather shoes and my leather belt, and the red meat on my table, are killed humanely. If they were not, I would not consume the products.

I guess you will spending your next holidays visiting abattoirs.

Nothing like blood and gore to bring a family together.

I am sure you have never seen a movie witha high body count which contributes to the de-sensitizing children more than just about any thinsg.

When the crowds at bullfights are prepared to cheer if a bull kills a toreador I might have a higher opinion of them.

The people in Murcia, where many of the bulls are raised, are known to root for the bulls.
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 04:39 AM

<When the crowds at bullfights are prepared to cheer if a bull kills a toreador I might have a higher opinion of them.>

EXACTLY !!

and live and let live is for those that dont kill innocent animals for sport.
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 04:52 AM

Aduchamp1 wrote: "I guess you will spending your next holidays visiting abattoirs."

That's a cheap-shot approach to argument. I have visited abattoirs, but don't consider them to be recreational destinations. Further, I live in the countryside, and see how the animals sent to abattoirs are raised.
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 12:52 PM

Palenque & jetsetj, please try to contain yourselves. You might hurt yourselves. Are you familiar with the term being "self-righteous".>

Yup but certain things that pop up here - Foie Gras and Bullfights are so odious that i will not be a sheep and keep silent.

If someone posted something that offended you so much - like a racial diatribe or whatever it may be - would you remain silent? Or would you be self-righteous?

Or what about someone on the American forum asking about where to see a dog or cock fight? Are those things any worse than bullfighting?

Chinese boil cats and dogs live for food - if someone on the Asia forum said they wanted to visit a market where that happens what would the reaction be? Well bullfighting is even more tortuous since it often takes a lot of torment with picks that cause blood to anger the toro and then the death is drawn out. Sooner or later bullfighting will be illegal everywhere.
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 03:17 PM

Palenque, the enquirer asked a question. The wonderful thing about Fodors is that the answer was quickly given.

Folks may well ask the type of questions that you give examples of and most probably would get an answer, no matter how distasteful you may think the subject is. If you are sensitive to what you mention then that is fine and you have every right to be so. Others may not share your sensitivity and that is fine too. I suppose everything does balance out.

But, if someone travels and wishes to know more about a particular custom or event let them ask their question without the risk of any of us condemning, judging or taking the moral high-ground over them.

Joe
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 08:21 PM

joe - then you agree with all the scenarios i present - cat and dog boiling and cock and dog fights are legitimate tourist things to do?

I do not and will not be silent when animal torture comes up.

that's just the way i am and i will not be silent. I appreciate your view but IMO when things SO odious come up i will tell them what i think and hopefully deter their desires to attend.
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 09:00 PM

I highly doubt some stranger on the internet is ever going to deter anyone from eating foie gras or attending a bullfight. You must think yourself incredibly important and persuasive.

Go ahead and keep up the self-righteous postings if it makes you feel good, but it's never going to change what a traveler is interested in or chooses to do.

Bullfights are part of Spanish culture. Foie gras is a highly regarded French delicacy. Travelers to both countries want to experience what the Spanish and the French experience and consider important to their nations. Nothing wrong with that; in fact, much more LESS wrong with that than wanting to go to either country and seek out the comfort of their own cultures.

ANY activity that a country engages in is a legitimate "tourist thing to do," whether you like it or not. Some of us even purposely seek out those things that are particularly controversial so we can broaden our minds, not rigidify them, as you do. We may be appalled, we may have mixed feelings, we may come to an understanding of how something "fits into" the culture and is therefore acceptable in the context. That's what having an open mind as a traveler is all about.

Obviously, you don't have one. Your loss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -