Reload this Page >

Madrid, Barcelona or Seville in March

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 12:05 PM
kevin

I am planning a little trip to Spain in March, due to cheap air, and wonder if anyone has a preference. I know we are all different and each city offers different things but which one do you prefer? Also take into account the weather. TYVM

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 12:45 PM
Maggie

Haven't tried Madrid or Seville yet, but we will be paying a return visit to Barcelona in March.<BR>We were last there in March 1993 and the weather was "springlike", some sunshine, some showers, but reasonably warm.<BR>There is so much to do and see in Barcelona and, of course, you have the sea on the doorstep - a big plus as far as I am concerned.<BR>Try to get an hotel on La Rambla, it's a ever-changing view of Barcelona life and right in the centre of things.<BR>Enjoy where ever you go!

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 01:23 PM
mary lewis

We were in Spain last March and visited both Madrid and Seville. The weather will be warmer in Seville, but Madrid was not a lot colder (maybe 50s with some rain).

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 01:31 PM
Maribel

Kevin,<BR>My vote would always be for Seville in the spring, but if your dates happen to be during Holy Week, March 24-31, 2002, I'd book your hotel ASAP, and be prepared for sticker shock. Rates soar for Semana Santa and the Feria, 2 wks later in April. Vera, on another thread, has gotten some rather steep rate quotes for rms during that time. One moderately priced hotel in the Santa Cruz quarter that comes to mind which actually doesn't seem to gouge so much on their Holy Week/April Fair rates is the Hosteria del Laurel.<BR>Check www.sol.com/host-laurel/ <BR><BR>My second choice for March would be Barcelona.

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 07:25 PM
Vera Marie Badertscher

Unfortunately, Hosteria del Laurel was full Easter week.<BR> I *think* we have a reservation at Hotel Vergen de los Reyes.<BR>Vera Marie

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 08:04 PM
karen

I have been to all three locations. I was not too thrilled with Madrid, not too pretty or interesting. Seville was great. You can travel to the different towns in the country. If I was looking for a truly Spanish feel, I would head to Seville. Barcelona is the most cosmopolitan with lots to see.

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 08:42 AM
wendy

hi--I have been to all three cities. Barcelona wins by a mile!!Yes it is a cosmopolitan city--but it is also beautiful and fascinating--oh those Gaudi buildings--I am definately planning a return trip. Have a great time.

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 10:53 AM
Mónica

Have you thought about Valencia? The main annual festival "Fallas" is in March -from the 16th to the 19th. It is great, lots of fun, music, traditional costumes and fireworks, mild wheather.

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 11:09 AM
John

If this is your first trip to Spain I would opt for Barcelona. Cosmopolitan yes, but tons of things for all interests.<BR><BR>Side trips and overnights can be taken to the North, South and West. Kind of like Mountains and Sea.<BR><BR>As with all of Spain, 'what you get out of it is what you put into it'. As opposed to some other parts of Europe, where you can just watch things flow by.<BR><BR>Where ever you chose to go, you should be prepared for the Spanish lifestyle. . . afternoons spent relaxing, late dinner, into the night entertainment.<BR><BR>By the way, I am biased. My wife spent some of her childhood living in Sitges (resort waterfront town) just South of Barcelona. In any event have fun.

Old Dec 22nd, 2001, 11:50 AM
Rebecca

Sevilla is the quintessential Spanish experience. The beauty of that city is awe inspiring. The Alcazar and the Cathedral are breathtaking. I also like Madrid for it's sights, particularly The Prado Museum, which is a must for Art lovers. Barcelona, is wonderful and beautiful, too, but I think you can experience much more character of the country by going to Sevilla. You will have the time of your life!!!