Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italian Riveria/Rome virgins need advice!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2003, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
Hope that title gets some attention!
I'm heading to Italy for the first time. I've read these posts and it seems there are a lot of people on here that know Italy well. I thought I'd post our tentative travel plans and get some advice.

We arrive Oct 16 into Nice. From there, 2 days in the Cinque Terre (what town is best to stay in?), 2 days in Florence, 2 days in Rome (heard the Beehive Hostel was nice...hotel-like), 2 days on the Amalfi Coast (plan to stay in Sorrento and day-trip to Pompeii/Capri). From Sorrento, we'll head back to Nice allowing ourselves 2 days to get back and hopefully spend the end of our trip in Nice (will that be enough time, travelling by train?).
Any advice (hotels, travel, restaurants) on these plans is greatly appreciated! We plan on travelling by train the whole trip and buying our tickets as we go. Is renting a car a better way to travel? Also, I was wondering if anyone's been to these areas in mid-October, what kind of clothes to pack. Travel guides say 70s...long-sleeves, short-sleeves,???
Thanks! Sky

Old Aug 26th, 2003, 08:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm surprised no one has replied, but I'll jump in. You're bound to get opinions that are all over the place, but, in my view, you're moving around too much and too far. Every time you travel from place to place, you lose a half day (unless you travel at night) and 36 hours in each place (Florence, Rome, Amalfitano) is just too little to enjoy. Lots of packing/unpacking, checking in/out.

On a 10-day trip, I'd limit your destinations to two or three in relatively close proximity. I'd leave Rome and points south for another trip.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 05:02 AM
ira

Hi sky,

I agree, unless you are in your twenties and healthy.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 05:21 AM

I think you already know that the railway between Montecarlo and Italy has been closed due to major renovating program and a replacement bus service is on duty.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 01:17 PM

My husband and I were in Italy last October for 2 weeks leaving on the 17th. The weather was wonderful ... although we had quite a range. In Positano and Rome ... it was WARM ... but rather cool at night (long sleeves). Florence was gorgeous ... what I think of as fall ... cool, crisp days where you'll want a jacket. Venice was the coolest and unfortunately rainy. I ended up packing capris, long pants and jeans ... with a variety of tops ... tank tops, long sleeves, and a couple sweaters. My hubby wore shorts in Positano and Rome ... but I wore capris and t-shirts. But overall, the weather was great!
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 03:09 PM
Degas

Way too many cities and too much train travel. Slow down and reduce the stress and lost time from all the hotel changes and trips to the train station.