Madrid & Barcelona Help Needed

Feb 15th, 2001, 06:48 PM
Shauna

Madrid & Barcelona Help Needed

hello - my friends and I are visiting Madrid next month and were interested in getting information on: 1) Best area to stay in Madrid to be close to nightlife but quiet/safe area 2) Best clubs in Madrid 3) how many nights to spend in Madrid 4) best side trips from Madrid 5) best transportation from Madrid to Barcelona 6) best hotel and/or area to stay in Barcelona 7) number of nights to stay in Barcelona 8) clothing for Madrid and Barcelona in March - how warm of a jacket? THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE!

Feb 15th, 2001, 09:31 PM
Kathleen

Hi Shauna,

In Madrid, I highly recommend the Hotel Mora, about 1 block from the Prado, across from the Botanical Gardens, and about a block from the Reina Sofia museum.

Segovia, El Escorial, and Toledo are all
good side trips from Madrid. We spent 4 nights in Madrid and didn't really feel like we had enough time there, so only visited Toledo.

You can either take a night train to Barcelona or fly. You should check out the difference in costs. For us, it just made more sense to fly because of the time saved.

In Barcelona, we stayed at the Hotel Intercontinental on the Ramblas. I didn't like the hotel at all, but loved the location. It was perfect and the hotel was high enough up so that street noise didn't keep me awake. And the Ramblas is an experience unto itself.
We stayed 3 nights in Barcelona and it certainly wasn't enough. There were a number of things I wanted to see, like Montserrat, which I didn't get to see.

We were there in March. Madrid was perfect, about 70 degrees and sunny every day. No need for a jacket at all.
Barcelona was cold and damp. I had a sweater and a raincoat and still felt cold.

Hope this is of some help to you.
Enjoy your trip.

Kathleen

Feb 15th, 2001, 09:40 PM
shauna

Kathleen - Thanks so much for your advice!!! Did you purchase your tickets for the flight to Barcelona while you were there? Do you remember about how much they were? Any memorable restaurants or bars in Madrid or Barcelona? Thanks again!!

Feb 15th, 2001, 09:54 PM
Kathleen

Hi Shauna,

I was there with an 11 year-old child so
didn't get out to clubs so can't help you there. Both Madrid and Barcelona are so vibrant that I'm sure that you'll have a great time.

I ate some terrific meals in both cities
but really can't remember the names of
any specific restaurants. A search of this site on both bars and restaurants
might help you out.

I got the airplane tickets on the internet from Air Europa or something like that. They cost less than $100 each flying from Sevilla. If you have time, go to Sevilla. It is incredible ... I was utterly enchanted by the city.
It's the way I had always pictured Spain
and the weather in March is perfect.

Have a great time!
Kathleen

Feb 15th, 2001, 10:34 PM
Miles

The best hotels in Barcelona are:The Ritz, which is one of the more traditional hotels; Hotel Arts which is modern, very comfortable, but lacking a certain something as regards personal service;finally, the Hotel Claris which is one of the most stylish, and comfortable hotels in Barcelona. In Madrid I only have experience of the Ritz which I found to be of an extremely high standard.

Feb 16th, 2001, 07:42 AM
AW

I recommend the Hotel Santander in Madrid. It's really an ideal location -- two blocks from the Puerto del Sol, the lively hub of the city, and easy walking distance to all the major sites (Plaza Mayor, Prado, Palacio Real, Gran Via). Tons of restaurants and bars within the immediate area. The hotel is on Calle Echagary. Rooms are more than adequate and reasonably priced. The Mora also seemed nice, though it's in a bit quieter area across from the Prado, if I recall correectly. At the Santander, there can be some street noise, so if that would bother you ask for a room not facing the main street.