Madrid Airport - Atocha Connection

Feb 22nd, 2008, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Madrid Airport - Atocha Connection

Hello, we are currently planning a trip to Spain, specifically Seville, and we have already booked our airline, and arrive in at 9:10 AM. We also intend to catch the AVE later that day from the Atocha train station to Sevilla, and were wondering how much time to give ourselves. We were thinking of doing the 1PM AVE from Madrid to Seville, but aren't sure whether this will afford us enough time.

Also, from what I have read, apparently we take the Line 8 to the Nuevos Ministerios metro station, transfer to Line 10. Then transfer again to Line 1 to get to the Atocha Train Station. If anyone has experience with this and would be willing to share, that would be lovely! Thanks for your help!
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:25 AM

You should be able to make the 1:00 pm AVE. Plan on at least one hour travel time if you're talking the metro to Atocha Station.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:29 AM

I did the same trip and I don't recall my specifics, but I decided to take a taxi instead of changing trains on the metro. After an overnight flight, it was worth the money--and not prohibitively expensive. Then I had time to figure out where to pick up my reserved tickets and sit in the sunny station until it was time to go.
Someone with a better memory than I will tell you how long to give yourself for the metro and how much a taxi would cost, but I would definitely not try to make the 1pm train after a 9am arrival. Your flight could be late, the lines at passport control could be long, and then there's the metro. Also, there could be lines at Atocha.
If you take a taxi, you could make the 1pm train. Do you speak Spanish?
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:33 AM

I may be too risk averse, you should be prepared to do either--say, if your flight is on time and you breeze through passport control, then you'll know how to get there on the metro. If in a time crunch, take a taxi.
Feb 22nd, 2008, 08:37 AM

Have you considered flying. Iberia has a flight at 11:50a, which will get you there much earlier and shouldn't cost much more.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 01:28 AM

just beware that the metro lines to/from barajs is one of the the professional thieves´ favorite routes.

another solution is to take the public red bus 200 or 204 (from T4)outside each terminal for 1 euro to the "intercambiador de avenida americas".. and take a taxi from there. faster and easier than three metro changes.. and cheaper than a taxi all the way.

your choice.

p.s. this bus leaves you at the entrance to madrid where it is an easy downhill stroll to calle serrano/american embassy.

plus, at street level outside (buses stop underground)there are plenty of cafés and shops to stop and get situated before you move on.

this is my favorite way into madrid when i am not pressed for time.

see www.aena.es for all spanish airport info
Feb 23rd, 2008, 04:19 AM

I took the metro from the airport to Atocha and it was very easy, even with luggage (I only had a 21 inch rolling bag though). Despite ( or maybe becaue of) numerous postings about how unsafe Madrid's metro was, I was very pleasantly surprised - it felt like one of the nicest, safest metros in any city I've been in. Of course all metros (and also train stations, and cities themselves) have the possibility of pickpockets, but I don't think Madrid was any worse than anywhere else.

I would allow about an hour for the metro trip. But your plane could be late or there could be long lines at the airport. I made a reservation for a later train than I really needed just to be safe, but then got to Atocha quite early and was able to change the tickets for the earlier train. Of course that depends on if the earlier train is not sold out, and you do have to stand on line to do that, but it worked for me. I liked the safety of having the later train reserved. Worse case is you have to spend several hours at Atocha. The station itself is beautiful so not a bad place to sit and read for a few hours. Also, right across the street is the Centro de Arte Reina Sofía (contemporary art museum) so if you really had too much time you could go there. Even the Prado is only a ten minute walk from the station.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:02 AM

remember..missed trains.. no return on your money. you must buy full new ticket.

tickets can only be changed the same day at least 90 minutes ahead of time, and then with a fee and price difference of solicited new train.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:45 AM

I think the Barajas Airport is fairly close to Atocha and downtown Madrid. How about a taxi, it seems to me that to follow an Spanish proverb : lo barato sale caro.

Meaning some cheap solutions at the end of the day could be very expensive.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 06:52 AM

I don't think the problem is how long the metro takes - it's about an hour and although a taxi might be faster (maybe half an hour) that isn't the major concern - which is if the plane is late and or there are long lines at the airport. As lincasanova said, if you miss your train there's no refund. That's why booking a later train is safer. I actually am pretty sure there was no fee to change my ticket to the earlier train.

But given that sometimes flights are very late or even canceled, I ususally plan to spend the arrival night in the city I fly into and go on to the next destination the following day. How long is your trip? Could you afford one night in Madrid? If your flight is on time you get a day to explore Madrid, and if not at least you don't have to worry about tight connections.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

First off, thanks for everyones prompt response! Part of the reason we are looking to get to Seville from Madrid asap is we will be going to Seville for Semana Santa. Booking the AVE as far in advance as possible seems important, and I think for the most part, we wouldn't mind waiting around in the Atocha station since we'll be on the safe side. I suppose I should've given a little bit more information - there are 4 of us travelling together, and we all speak a decent amount of spanish.

Regarding the train ticket change, we were thinking of doing a rail pass (for like 4 days of travel in 2 months), so would it be possible to change a reservation as you do an actual train ticket? Also, on a completely unrelated note, can anyone explain to me why on the Renfe.es site, there is no longer any trains running from Seville-Granada?
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:11 AM

Again, you shouldn't have any problem making the 1:00 pm (13:00) AVE to Sevilla, even if your flight is an hour late and you have to wait for your luggage. If you have any concerns, then book the 2:00 or 3:00 pm AVE to Sevilla. There is no need to spend the night in Madrid unless you actually want to enjoy the city and get a comfortable night’s rest after a long flight before heading to Sevilla. If not, then you can catch a few minutes sleep on the AVE.

The taxi from T4 will get you to Atocha station in about 30 minutes time, depending on traffic. Sometimes it's a little quicker. The cost should be under 30 euros, including the airport supplement. Our last taxi ride from Plaza Colon to T1 cost less than 20 euros, with the supplement and we where in the morning rush hour traffic.

Line 8 is a breeze, but it takes a while to reach Nuevo Ministerios where you have to make the connection to Atocha station. You shouldn't have any problems as long as you are not loaded down with luggage.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:23 AM

With 4 people take a taxi for sure!
Feb 23rd, 2008, 01:35 PM

I still don't understand why if you want to get to Seville ASAP, you're not flying from MAD.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 03:10 PM

I second what rkkwan says. If you are already at the airport, why not fly out to Sevilla? It minimizes all these logistics after a long flight, plus you'll get earlier to Sevilla.

A few years ago I did this and flew to Madrid and connected to Sevilla. Depending the airline you are flying to Madrid , you might be able to get your luggage ticketed all the way through.

Feb 23rd, 2008, 03:16 PM

And I agree with you both. AVE trains are great to move from city centre to city centre..but it makes no sense to go there from the airport when you just have to change of plane and get there. Unless you want to go somewhere without airport...but this doesn't happen this time.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Given the dates, and falling on Holy Week, 1 way tickets are upwards of 200 Euros. When we were booking our airfare in the first place, there was quite a premium on flying into Sevilla directly with Holy Week festivities and all. Thats why we are doing the train connection.
Feb 23rd, 2008, 04:41 PM

Oh, I see..Holy Week is like that. And if you are doing only one way then planes are more expensive, sure.
Feb 24th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Yeah, I should've given more details on my question to begin with. But I think we'll just go ahead and do a taxi to save ourselves some time and it doesn't sound like it should be too expensive. I think we will more be paying for convenience.

I think we're still up in the air whether we'll do a reservation for 1 or 2. But thank you everyone for your input, suggestions and everything else! I'm a new member on this forum and I really appreciate everyone's prompt responses! They were great! Thanks!
Feb 27th, 2008, 10:05 AM

May I also ask a question? What's the procedure for the metro at the airport...as in, does it take tickets or coins, where are the machines, is the fare all the same like Chicago or different like DC? How much is the fare to Atocha? Do we put our tickets in a machine or does someone check them on the train? That kind of thing...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO