mad cow disease- what to do?

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 12:41 PM
ken cohen

mad cow disease- what to do?

I am going to London this February and am concerned about the beef. My kids like burgers and steaks. However, I am concerned about Mad Cow Disease. What precautions can I take and how serious is it?
Thanks

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 01:06 PM
kathryn

We went to Paris in November and just didn't eat beef--there were a few times we missed it, but our peace of mind was worth it!

Kathryn

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 01:13 PM
Elaine

You can't prevent mad cow disease - it's already there. You can try and take precautions to prevent your children (and yourself) contracting the human equivalent (CJD), but since BSE (or its equivalent) have already been found in various species of animals all over Europe AND THE US (in sheep), you'd have to adopt a vegan lifestyle for the rest of your lives. If this doesn't sound particularly appealing, then join the other 99% of the population and take a chance on it!

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 01:21 PM
xxx

Do you let your kids ride in cars?

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 01:34 PM
Elaine

LOL!!! Well said X!!!!

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 03:48 PM
Brenda

Best way to not get Mad Cow disease - is avoid all beef while you are in Europe. I plan on doing that when I go to Europe in a couple of months. Stick to chicken, pasta... This is a horrible disease, perhaps my suggestion is overly cautious, but I don't want a spongy brain!

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 04:01 PM
liz

Apparently XXX doesn't mind the thought of developing a spongy brain. When I travel to Europe this summer I will be taking all precautions possible. This is not a disease to joke about and comparing it to letting our kids ride in cars is absurd! There is more to life than red meat! Try living without it for a while, you will feel better, and I'm not even a vegetarian.

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 06:24 PM
elaine

MY SISTER WANTS TO TAKE SOME STEAK ON THE PLANE FROZEN FOR HER SON WHO IS AN EXCHNGE STUDENT IN GERMANY BUT HASEN'T HAD ANY BEEF AND REALLY MISSES IT. HIS HOST FAMILY EAT ONLY PORK AND HE IS REALLY SICK OF IT. WOULD THIS BE LEGAL AND WOULD IT GET PAST THE SECURITY?
THANK YOU [email protected]

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 06:33 PM
xxx

Yes how absurd of me to compare the contraction of ANY disease from beef to the risk of riding in cars.

50,000 people die in the US riding in cars per year.

Versus 83 who have died of CJD - - not one of which is proven to eating beef.

And Ellie - - tell you sister to TAKE IT. Freeze it very thoroughly, wrap it in plastic, then bubble wrap it (for added insulation) and put in the smack middle of her luggage.

I love telling people how to be smugglers. No country in Europe treats you like a possible criminal like your own US government does when you try to come back home.