MAD COW DISEASE

Nov 3rd, 2000, 09:08 PM
J. WOOD

MAD COW DISEASE

I WOULD LIKE TO TAKE MY FAMILY TO THE U.K. THIS SUMMER, BUT I DON'T WANT TO RISK MY CHILDREN CONTRACTING MAD COW DISEASE. RECENTLY THE RED CROSS REFUSES TO TAKE BLOOD FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE SPENT 6 MONTHS OR MORE IN THE U.K.. SINCE THE INCUBATION PERIOD IS 10 YEARS, I AM NOT INTERESTED IN PEOPLE TELLING ME THEY FEEL FINE. I WANT TO KNOW IF THEY HAVE BEEN TESTED FOR ANTI-BODIES TO MAD COW DISEASE. I UNDERSTAND THE ANTI-BODIES SHOW UP IN TONSCILS LONG BEFORE THEY ARE PRESENT IN THE BLOOD. MY QUESTION-WHAT EXACTLY ARE THE RISKS OF CONTRACTING MAD COW DISEASE?

Nov 3rd, 2000, 09:23 PM
Clara

OH MY GOD!!!!!

Nov 3rd, 2000, 09:55 PM
JM

According to a recent article in the American Medical Journal, the first symtom of this dreaded disease is "Mad Cow Phobia". I would go in for a check up immediately.

Nov 3rd, 2000, 11:21 PM
seamus

Tonsils??? Antibodies in tonsils?? I don't think so.Think the incubation period for JCS is 20 years +. Just take your kids to Disneyworld and don't worry about the Mad Cows!

Nov 4th, 2000, 02:52 AM
Elizabeth White

Don't worry - there is not even the smallest risk of you catching this disease on your trip to the UK.

Although it is dreadful for the very few people who have caught the disease, they caught it from eating contaminated beef 10-20 years ago. All the beef that you will eat on your trip to the UK will be completely safe.

Have a good trip!

Nov 4th, 2000, 08:21 AM
lola

The risks go up when you use all caps in postings. But seriously, don't eat beef and you'll be 100% safe from that. Just look both ways when crossing the street, a far more dangerous situation.

Nov 4th, 2000, 11:17 PM
t

t

Nov 4th, 2000, 11:50 PM
clairobscur

There's no existing tests for MCD, except autopsy.

Nov 5th, 2000, 12:31 AM
Angela

For info on CREUTZFELD-JACOB DISEASE. (I/m sure the families of the sufferers don't like the term "Mad Cow Disease")Try to get research based info from the CJD surveillance unit at Edinburgh University
www.cjd.ed.ac.uk
I guess The only way you can be 100% sure of not contracting "mad cow disease" is if you have it already. Just as for a sure way of not being hit by a car is to stay in your house for the rest of your life.
If you do smoke though don't worry as most tobacco companies don't see any link to smoking and cancer...
Perhaps we should get things into some perspective?

Nov 8th, 2000, 11:50 AM
David White

Sorry that your serious question elicited some cynical replies (although I appreciate the humor in some of them). Given the history of how the UK government initially reacted to "mad cow" it isn't surprising that some people are still worried about it.

Several years ago, our family did a trip to the UK and avoided all beef products. It was not easy, especially pleasing the kids' picky appetites.

On more recent trips, I've been fairly sure that the beef supply has been scrutinized so closely that the risk was almost non-existent. I still believe that, but you can allways take a "beef-less" trip if you wish. To be 100 percent safe, you would have to avoid beef byproducts as well.

Everybody has to determine his or her own comfort level with life's risks. I think you can pretty much forget this particular concern on your trip to the UK.

Regards,

David White

LET'S TAKE THE KIDS TO LONDON
A Family Travel Guide
iUniverse.com publishers

http://www.KidsToLondon.com

Nov 9th, 2000, 02:14 AM
Mike

You may be aware that France is currently in the middle of a new BSE scare. The news report in the UK in the last few days was salutary.

The reason behind this new rise in discovered cases in France is that the French government has introduced a new test for BSE in cattle. No other country in the world has taken this test up. In other words, very few of these 200 cases would be detected anywhere else in the world. Many French companies are now importing beef from Argentina to obviate the new perceived risk.

Tim Yeo, the Conservative spokesman on agriculture in the UK, has called for a blanket ban on French products, because of the risks he takes to be self evident in this rise in cases. This is pure politics.

There have been 1,000 new cases of BSE in the UK herd this year, a figure reached without the aid of rigorous French science. God knows how many cases the French scientists would find.

I could go on ...

Nov 9th, 2000, 02:47 AM
frank

If you want to know the chances of catching a disease, ask a DOCTOR.
This board is a poor source of medical advice.
If however you are just stirring it up you are in the right place.

Nov 9th, 2000, 03:14 AM
david west

I posted this on an almost identical topic a few weeks ago, so again...

You may be interested to know that US beef has been banned in the Uk and EU for many years before the "mad cow" panic. Indeed you cannot get any US meat in Britain (apart from processed stuff like Spam) This is because of the routine use by US farmers of bovine growth hormone to improve yields. This is considered by many (inc me) to be a much greater threat to health than the minute chances of catching a rogue prion in one's steak.

Also, bear in mind that the farmers of mainland europe are a very powerful political lobby (which they are not in Britain) and as such are heavily protected. Much of these "food scares (especially by the French and Germans) are thinly disguised attempts to further protect their farmers from the more effecient British and Danish.