Mad Cow Disease

Jul 2nd, 1999, 10:04 AM
Sarah

Mad Cow Disease

Has anyone avoided eating beef in the UK due to Mad Cow disease? I was just wondering if this food scare has really affected what tourists eat, or if they have just continued eating their prime rib and steak & kidney pies.

Jul 2nd, 1999, 11:07 AM
Bill Irving

Sarah, I have eaten beef in the UKASDLKldm<asd<mePQ, Opps, execuse me, I had alittle tick in my muscle & it went crazy on the keyboard. Seriously, I have spent 12 days in Britain in 1994, 10 days in 1997, & 4 days this past June, & I have eaten quite alot of steak & kidney, & other beef pies while there, some very delicious meals I might add, & neither myself or any of my travel companions have had any problems show up from that. When you are done eating your steak & kidney pie don't forget to have a treacle sponge pudding for desert. I must have gained 5 lbs from that alone this last t

Jul 2nd, 1999, 11:48 AM
Sarah

Thanks, Bill. I just wanted to see if the Mad Cow scare actually prevented tourists from eating beef in Britain or if they feel the risks are miniscule.

Jul 2nd, 1999, 11:51 AM
adisty

ACtually, when i was in england a few days ago, we saw in the newspaper how the AMERICANS had the bad beef. THe english wont import american beef because the Mad Cow disease is worse here than in the UK!! OUr government hides a lot of information - but other countries see what they're doing.

Jul 2nd, 1999, 12:15 PM
Beth

I thought the reason Europeans didn't want American beef was because of the hormones, antibiotics, and genetic engineering? Its not that American cattle have mad cow disease in particular, but that Europeans are afraid they will get something worse. Can't say I blame them. I'm not really too sure about eating American beef anymore. In answer to your original question Sarah, no I don't think you have to be scared to eat British beef. When I was there in 97 we ate it, and it didn't seem that people were terribly frightened about it.

Jul 6th, 1999, 11:25 PM
kam

Have a friend whose mom died of Mad Cow Disease. The doctors told her that the incubation period could be as long as 30 years. I suggest that we stop obsessing about it. Enjoy the wonderful beef in the UK and the US.

Jul 7th, 1999, 01:33 AM
Anita

The risk has now been evaluated minimal in the UK. For a while in restaurants they were not serving any beef on the bone (apparently the bone area is where the risk was), but now they are again.

Jul 8th, 1999, 06:26 AM
topper

!

Aug 1st, 1999, 08:47 AM
Diane

While in London this summer met an American living in London who claims she won't eat beef due to mad cow disease. Didn't stop us, however.