Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

m_kingdom2: Off to Prague, Brussels and Antwerp!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2004, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I am off tomorrow - no BA strike, but I've had to go on holiday for longer, five nights is never ever enough!

Tomorrow morning I fly to Prague for five nights staying at Hotel Carlo IV. Then I return home for one night, then I'm off on Eurostar (for the first time) first class (a three course meal with wine, how civilised) for three nights in Brussels staying at Hotel Metropole.

I assume one can easily take the train for a long day's shopping to Antwerp. I've even found the addresses of Dries van Noten and Raf Simons stockists, how exciting!

I'll speak to you all when I'm back, and post another detailed report on the properties and places.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 10:29 AM

Have a great trip-MK2-I'm quite looking forward to your trip report on Prague, as I'm thinking of a long weekend there in Oct.-Nov. I looked up your hotel on expedia.com-it looks quite nice-and the beds appear extra comfy as well (out of my price range though!)

As for Antwerpen-you'll love it-partic. the shopping!-(It takes no time at all to get from BRU to Ant. by train-it's only 30 miles north of BRU-the trip is a matter of minutes!) It's one of the hippest and most sophisticated towns in Europe-IMO. The last time I was there was just after Christmas two years ago-DO go to Rubenshuis-I loved it-and I'm sure you'll be quite interested to see how well the master artist lived-not to mention seeing examples of his work all over Antwerp! Make sure and take a walk around the little streets around the lovely Grote Markt (a smaller version of the Grand Place in BRU) and Groenplaats, and visit the stunning Our Lady's Cathedral. There are many atmospheric restaurants/cafes in the area in which to take a relaxing break-on the Grote Markt I can recommend den Engen for a bier-oops- beer! and people-watching.

As for the diamonds and shopping, well you already know about that!(something tells me you're involved with the jewelry biz somehow..!) Stop in at de Gulden Bock-a divine little deli selling mouth-watering treats, on a street called Schutterhofstraat, I believe, the chic shopping district where a shop called Crocodrillo is located-divine footwear!

Do however, try to get over to Ghent as well-just a few min. away by train. you'd love the Gravensteen castle in the middle of the town, and St. Bavo's cathedral, plus the lovely canal-side cafes and beer gardens!

And Mk2- I thought you said earlier you had no desire to go back to Brussels? Change of heart?? As for the Metropole-great choice-you'll love its old-world elegance-I have a picture of me taken in their splendid lobby-their lounge is a great place to relax, enjoy the surroundings and have a cocktail. Enjoy!
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks!

I can't wait to supplement my fall/winter wardrobe with pieces from Belgian designers who are some of my favourites, most notably Dries Van Noten - and I'm hoping for it to be less expensive than in London - an added bonus. I'll try to see the museums/galleries there too.

As for never returning to Brussels - the only hotels (the boutique ones seemed the most luxurious) that I liked the look of in Antwerp are all fully booked for my stay. The Hilton didn't really grab me either. I'm saving a pair of shoes by staying in Brussels, and am looking forward to some faded grandeur too. I never hated Brussels, I liked it, however, at the time I didn't think I'd have any reason to return. Now Barcelona is somewhere that I will never ever return too!

Old Aug 21st, 2004, 10:39 AM

Very good tips from Spygirl!
Do me one favour, m_kingdom2, do NOT walk along the big shopping street which is called Meir. It's lined with shops that you will find anywhere in the world. OK, if you do want to walk that street just look up to the façades of the houses. Some are very beautiful.
The best you can do, IMO, is take the metro (what's in a name), to Groenplaats and explore the area of Grote Markt/Groenplaats as mentioned by Spygirl. The newest designer area is around Kammenstraat where you will also find the fashion museum in case you're interested. The pedestrian streets in that neighbourhood (Lombardenstraat, Korte Gasthuisstraat, Groendalstraat, Wiegstraat) have some nice shops. Huidevetterstraat is nice as well, as is Schuttershofstraat.
I hope you'll enjoy Antwerp.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 10:41 AM

m_k2: Just read your 2nd message. The Hilton in Antwerp is really very nice and on top location.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

The Hilton only has the room type that I require in the Deluxe category, I want a standard room as I have no intention of spending much time at the hotel. Besides, I like to think that staying in Brussels will pay for an extra pair of shoes!

Who knows, I might even walk to Atomium again!
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

No need to worry Myriam - I've already printed off the addresses of several boutiques and stores that stock my favourite Belgian designers, as well as some shops that have some Jil Sander and Prada too - who needs London?
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 11:25 AM

"Message: The Hilton only has the room type that I require in the Deluxe category, I want a standard room as I have no intention of spending much time at the hotel. Besides, I like to think that staying in Brussels will pay for an extra pair of shoes!"

This is refreshing coming from you, as you're the one always telling others to throw their money around, suggesting the most expensive transportation alternatives and usually saying to "go for the best". I've often seen your posts running down hotels in London and suggesting very expensive alternatives (not seeming to understand that those people may not be planning to spend a lot of time in the room either and may also be trying to save a few bucks). It's interesting that you sometimes try to save money even if you don't seem to understand that others do that too.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

I always recommend deluxe hotels for their amenities, and if you're going on holiday then I would advise spending more money. However, this is just a side trip for me, a bonus - I booked it up this afternoon. This is a "bargain" break, so I'm not willing to spend much on it. If the Hilton had had a standard room (I never advise upgrading ordinarily) I would've booked it, but what's the point in paying for a room I never wanted in the first place?

If you're planning a proper holiday - not something booked up literally last minute - then spending more is always worth it.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 11:43 AM

Interesting theory, just not sure I'd agree.

Why spend $500 a night for a hotel on vacation when I'm happy with something for $200? Add up such savings and I can travel a whole lot more. Some people might be happy spending a lot on a short trip. I'd rather be able to travel more. But that's just me, I guess.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 01:16 PM

Patrick, I couldn't agree with you more!
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 01:35 PM

I'm one to whom the amenities offered by deluxe hotels would be a total waste. For us, the hotel is pretty much a place to sleep, clean up, and change clothes. As long as it has a bit of charm/history, a private bath, comfortable bed, helpful staff, and a view of some interest--we are happy.

Don't need turndown service, a concierge, hotel bar and restaurant, chocolates on the pillow, TV, meeting rooms, marble lobby.

But many people love those things, and if you do, great. We all have our likes and dislikes, needs and desires--how we spend our time and money to fulfill them is our own business.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 01:38 PM

Mkingdom, you won't like Prague. There will be no one on the street dressed in Dolce e Gabbana to direct you towards the tube station. You will actually have to speak to people dressed in jeans and cheap trainers. EGADS!!!!

You could parade around the lobby of the Four Seasons in your fur coat. Maybe the bellman will be impressed with you.

And please try not to spill goulash down the front of your Dior gown. I am sure that would make the front page of the Prague Post.

Cheers, sweetie.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 01:40 PM

Well, m_kingdom2, I'm sure the entire staff of both the Carlo IV and the Metropole have been frenziedly working night and day to ready your rooms and are now quaking in their soft soled shoes in dread anticipation of your imminent inspection.

Go easy on them, m_kingdom2, they are but frail, fellow human beings.

I do hope (not least for their sakes) that you have a lovely time in all three cities and find fabulous things to buy! Are you taking an extra, empty steamer trunk to accomodate the additions to your wardrobe?

Happy the bellman upon your arrival. Herniated the bellman upon your departure.

Enjoy, enjoy! Make note of the details for the plebians back on Fodors, who (believe it or not) ardently look forward (for a variety of reasons) to your reports.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 01:54 PM

I always get a good laugh when people make fun of others who spend big bucks for 5 star hotels.They claim it's a waste and that they would never spend such sums on a hotel.BULL! Most of them would do the same thing if they could afford it.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 02:24 PM

When you are in Brussels, make sure you stop by one of those frites stands and get yourself some great Belgium french fries wrapped in a paper cone with a big glob of mayo on top with a small wooden fork/pick.

I hope it's not beneath you, because they're damn good!!!

Looking forward to your trip report.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 02:26 PM

Boy do you misunderstand, mgmargate. And I didn't make fun of m_kingdom spending big bucks -- despite the fact she often makes fun of people who don't. And Rufus couldn't have been any clearer in explaining his thoughts but agreeing it's fine with others.

Sure if I had totally unlimited funds I would stay in more expensive hotels SOMETIMES (and sometimes I even do). But my point is that since I have a travel budget but unlimited time -- I'd rather spend half as much and travel twice as long. Give me a choice of going deluxe for four weeks, and going half price for two months and I'll take the latter, thank you.

Now I know some people have very limited time and less limited resources, so for them to want to travel in an absolute deluxe way makes perfect sense, especially if they have the disposable income to do it.

That has nothing to do with what I was saying, however. And as for the comments by the others-- I suppose most of that has more to do with "getting back" at m_kingdom for being a continual SNOB and an insulting P in the A, than anything else.

I guess I also didn't get the difference between "this is a short unplanned trip so I'm going cheap" but "if it's a planned vacation I want to spend more". Sorry, I just didn't get that, unless it was to say I can't afford to go first class for this trip as I'm saving all my money for my next vacation. And isn't that basically the same thing I'm saying -- except that for me the vacation is not limited to a short amount of time?
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 02:29 PM

mgmargate, I can afford it, and mostly I don't stay in 5-star hotels. I'm not making fun of people who do, but I find the value for cost not really worth it to me. If I am in a resort where I will be spending time in the hotel, then it's worth it. If I'm in the room primarily to sleep, shower, and change clothes, then I'm happy with a more modest level of luxury. Maybe I'm the exception that proves your rule...
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 02:37 PM

My post wasn't meant to be specific to this thread and I know that not all who can afford it choose to stay at 5 star properties. We stay in 5 star properties now but it wasn't always in the budget when I was younger.Once you get used to the perks you discover it sure is a nice way to travel.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 02:41 PM

Well, have a great time, m_k2. I stopped by Dries Van Noten but didn't get anything there. It's a very extensive collection. Anne Demeulemeester is further down, right across from the Museum of Beaux Arts, I think. I went to her store and took a look but skipped the museum. Don't know about the other Antwerp Six stores.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -