LYME REGIS/ FOSSILS

Feb 11th, 2002, 03:37 PM
RICK

LYME REGIS/ FOSSILS

I'm travelling at end of February from London to Lyme Regis. I'm an amateur collector and understand that the coastal area near Lyme Regis is abundant with marine fossils. Would appreciate further information on this topic (I've read all the web-site info). Thank you!

Feb 12th, 2002, 02:17 AM
david west

Yes it is abundant. THere are plenty of places to look but the undercliffe is the best (this can be a teensy bit dangerous after heavy rain). There are also plenty of shops selling fossils and fossil hunting kit.

THe town itself is nice, and The Cob is famous fronm the film "The French Lieutenants Woman" (oh and you have to say it "leftennant, it's a local rule).

THe Isle Of Wight is the other fertile hunting ground.

Feb 12th, 2002, 09:24 AM
janis

The Southwest Coastal Path runs all along the the coast with amny access points to the beaches/cliffs. The Tourist Information Office in Lyme Regis can tell you if there are any dangerous areas (due to rock slides, etc) and the best section(s) to walk.

Feb 12th, 2002, 11:00 PM
Jan

Pick a time when the tide is out or receeding and walk along the beach between Lyme Regis and Charmouth to the east,that is where most of the fossil collecting seems to take place. This time of year is a good time to search as winter storms may have uncovered new finds. If the tide comes in you can always walk back to Lyme via the coastal path.Access from the path to the beach between Lyme and Charmouth is non existant due to frequent land slips and the fact that in some places the path is routed well inland to avoid said land slips.

Feb 13th, 2002, 06:42 PM
RICK

Thank you for all the valuable information! I've been looking forward to this "expedition" for years. Hopefully, I can find one little ammonite.