Reload this Page >

Luzern day trip: mountains, lake and hiking

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2001, 11:48 PM
Paige

Hello! We'll be in Luzern for 2 days and want to spend one of those in the great outdoors. What is a good day trip that includes a boat trip on the lake, a ride to the top of a mountain for great scenery and a few hours of hiking? We could do the lake separately if need be. Thanks!

Old May 28th, 2001, 04:37 AM
steve

The trip to Mt Pilitus combines the boat ride, a cog railway up to the mountain top and a two types of cable cars down. I don't know how the hiking would be from up there, but I'm sure there would be trails. <BR> <BR>Also the climb of the Rigi. Read Mark Twain's account in 'A Tramp Abroad'

Old May 28th, 2001, 05:18 AM
chris

Hi Paige, It's me again. <BR> <BR>You can most definitely hike down from Pilatus (though my preference is always to hike up as easier on the knees). It's a very long haul though. <BR> <BR>Here are 2 good day hikes that involve a ferry ride, mountain transportation and good views from the top. <BR> <BR>THE RIGI HOEHENWEG-easy 10km 3-4 hrs. Ferry from Luzern to Vitznau, cograilway to Rigi Kulm, walk to Rigi Scheidegg via Rigi Kaltbad and Unterstetten. 2 options down at the end-chairlift down to Gscshwand, bus (or additional 1.5 hr walk) to Gersau for bus/ferry back to Luzern or cablecar down to Chraebel and train back to Luzern. <BR> <BR>or <BR> <BR>BUERGENSTOCK FELSENWEG-Easy 3 hours 7.5k <BR>Ferry from Luzern across the Lake to Kehrsiten-Buergenstock. Take the funicular up to the Buergenstock Hotels and walk along the Felsenweg. Amazing views of the Lake and Pilatus from a high, sheer cliff (You could make a side trip on the elevator built into the side of the cliff (the Hammetschwand lift) <BR>to the restaurant on top for views of the Alps south). The hike continues through some unique tunnels towards Mattgrat via Chanzeli. Walk down the other side of the Buergenstock to Ennetbuergen via the very picturesque St. Jost Church. Ferry back to Luzern (infrequent) or bus to Stans for train to Luzern. <BR>http://www.buergenstock-bahn.ch/ <BR>http://www.buergenstock-hotels.ch/ <BR> <BR>Relevant Summer Ferry schedule <BR> <BR>Luzern to Vitznau-7:54, 8:32, 9:14, 9:15, 10:32 <BR>Gersau to Luzern-14:08,15:12,15:56, 16:26, 17:50 (long trip), 19:32 <BR> <BR>Luzern to Kehrsiten-Buergenstock-8:15, 8:32, 9:16, 10:15, 10:32, 11:20, 12:25 <BR>Ennetbuergen to Luzern-14:48,17:10 <BR> <BR>for more bus, train, and ferry schedules see http://www.sbb.ch/pv/index_e.htm <BR>

Old May 28th, 2001, 06:45 AM
Geoff

If you aren't already traveling to the Jungfrau, I'd suggest this as a more spectacular alterantive than the Pilatus and areas near to Luzern. Not only are the mountains more spectacular, but you'll have a much better range of hiking available. <BR> <BR>Take the train to Brienz, but get off and switch to the boat from Brienz to Interlaken. Then take the trains as far up the mountains as you'd like to go. (you don't have to go all the way up as the trains are quite expesive, the views are still excellent part of the way up, and it may not be in your budget) Then walk down one or maybe two train stops. Grindelwald, Wengen, Muerren are all nice places to rest and get some food. <BR> <BR>

Old May 28th, 2001, 06:52 AM
Paige

Thanks, Chris! That's just what I'm looking for. Do you think that's more worthy than Pilatus (for good scenery and views)? <BR>Geoff, we've been to the Jungfrau area and we're just going to Luzern for a few days on this trip but thanks anyway!

Old May 28th, 2001, 07:12 AM
Greg

Paige, did you know that there is a great walk or hike just about one hour or so from Lucern? <BR> <BR>Take the train from the Lucern train station over to Engleberg. Once in Engleberg, find your way to the cable up to Titlis. Go all the way to the top and see this. Even though Lucern will be warm and summerish in the summer, bring a jacket since it will get a little cool up there. <BR> <BR>Now here is where the plot thickens so read carefully. <BR> <BR>Once you have seen the Titlis with all of the other kazillon tourists, take the cable back down to the Trubsee station. Get off at Trubsee and walk over about .5 of a mile to the Jochpass cable. Take the cable up and OVER the Jochpass all the way down to Engstlensee. <BR> <BR>From the Engstlensee (Lake) take a very nice walk over to Tannealp where once in Tannealp you can get a bite to eat or a drink at the restaraunt there. <BR> <BR>Then proced on past the Tannesee and Melchsee (two lakes) down to the village of Melchseefrut. Then find your way to the cable back down to Stockalp where there is a post bus that can take you down to the Sarnen train station where Lucern train connections can be made. <BR> <BR>Be sure to get to Stockalp before 5 Pm since I think the last post bus either leaves at 5 PM or shortly after. <BR> <BR>This walk will give you a nice taste of the Bernese Oberland. You can see the mountains of Titlis off in the distance and if you look hard enough and look and look and look, you can almost see the Wetterhorn. <BR> <BR>You'll be high enough to love this walk and you'll be a long way from the tourist hordes. <BR> <BR>This walk is mostly easy. There is a somewhat of an uphill gardient as you walk to Tannealp, but stop often, take your time and most people should be fine. <BR> <BR>You'll see other walkers on the trail so you will not feel alone. <BR> <BR>There are other fine walks in this area as well. When in Engleberg, request a little map called wadern Hiking. This will give you some idea of what is available. <BR> <BR>I highly recommend this walk though. Leave Lucern as early as you can. Around 7 AM if possible. You'll need the entire day to do this one right. Choose a sunny, clear day. If there is a threat of rain, forget it.

Old May 28th, 2001, 07:22 AM
Greg

You might know this already so please forgive me if it sounds as if I'm stating the obvious. Get some ankle high hiking boots to do these walks. Most of the trails in this area are well maintained with some gravel paths, but some trails can be more narrow and rocky. A good pair of boots will come in need here.

Old May 31st, 2001, 06:44 PM
Ingrid

Hi Greg, <BR>we'll be staying at the Truebseehof (only one night). Any suggestions for an easy but interesting hike with two kids (9 and 11 years old). The older one loves to hike, the younger one needs something exciting to see or a destination (preferably where they serve ice cream).

Old Jun 2nd, 2001, 05:13 AM
Greg

Ingrid, Check in with the local i office for a little hiking map called Wandern. <BR> <BR>There are many walks in this area. That is just one I took. <BR> <BR>Another nice walk that was not overly strenuous and I feel perfect for walkers walking with small children was the walk down from the halfway point of the Stansahorn down to the town of Stans. <BR> <BR>But as I said, many nice walks in the area. <BR> <BR>You're close to the Meirigen-Hasliberg area where more walks await. Go down to the i office and request that map.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 06:44 PM
ingrid

Thanks, will do. We'll also stay for two nights in Emmetten. Do you have any suggestions what we could do with our kids (9 and 11).The older one is into hiking big time, the younger one, however, needs some incentive, e.g. if it isn't a McDonalds at least a restaurant with ice cream, a lake, or something else that's interesting.