Lunch in Amsterdam

Search

Lunch in Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lunch in Amsterdam

Would like to have lunch at a nice restaurant near the canal tours. We would like to pay about $20 a piece and enjoy the local food.
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 11:36 PM

I personally like to lunch at the Bakkerswinkel (www.bakkerswinkel.nl) in the Warmoesstraat.
Very relaxed and informal atmosphere, and very tasty sour-dough-bread. Looks a little like Le Pain Quotidien.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Is this area near the canal tours across from Central station. We have limited time, a six hours layover and we will be doing the canal tour and would like to have lunch. Thanks
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 08:07 PM

When are you going? We enjoy lunch at the outdoor cafe at the Nieuwe Kirke on Dam Square. If the weather is not so nice, you can eat inside but the people watching is great on the square. Good sampling platters of Dutch cheeses, sausage, breads and soups. Very convenient to canal tour area - just a couple minutes south on the Damrak, turn right when you reach the square. An easy, quick walk back to Centraal Station (10 minutes at the most).
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 11:19 PM

Try the cafe at the Hotel Victoria across the canal from Centraal Station. Tour boats are visible on two sides of the cafe. An <i>uitsmijter</i> and small pils should be within your budget.
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 12:35 AM

You could try restaurant 1e klas, on platform 2b of the station. It is in the old first class waiting room (hence the name).
Old Jun 12th, 2009, 05:50 AM

I am also looking for a lunch place, but near the Anne Frank House.

My plane arrives at noon on Sunday from another Schengen country - no passport control. Check into my hotel near Leidseplein.

I am tentatively looking at a 3:30pm Anne Frank House reservation, but I am checking to make sure things work out first at least under normal condition before buying the Anne Frank House ticket.

I am looking for place for lunch:
1. Near Anne Frank House.
2. Can be made into a short lunch to accommodate late plane arrival, up to one hour late, so a three course lunch is not a good choice.

Doing Anne Frank House another day is not an option. I am staying in Amsterdam only for one night. I took advantage of a quirk in itinerary to add Amsterdam to my itinerary at no additional cost.

For this trip, Anne Frank House visit is the only objective. Everything else will be added only if time permits after the visit.
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 08:13 AM

I wouldn't worry about fnding a specific place in advance. There are lots of little cafes between the Leidseplein and Frank house. And it is an easy, nice walk. Because of your time limitation, a cafe would be fast, easy, good, and probably not as formal as a prebooked place. If weather is good, try a spot with outdoor seating along the canal - a great way to see Amsterdam, If you want a specific destination, Pompadour in the Nine streets is lovely. It's really a superb chocolate shop but they do serve tasty, light lunches. There is a second location a bit east (other side of Leidsestraat) that has a more substantial menu.

The area around Leidseplein is crammed with restaurants. Not a very Dutch choice but fun and fast is Wagamama, a Japanese noodle place. You share tables so have the opportunity to meet others. A mix of tourists and young locals.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

we will be going in the mid of Sept.
Old Jun 17th, 2009, 03:11 PM

We had lunch at the Pancake Bakery in 2003, and then in 2004, I had to go there again for the Indonesian pancakes. I wish I could go again soon, it was so good and if I recall, not expensive and very near to the Anne Frank house, which is extremely moving.