Lunch at St John Smithfield London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2019, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My husband and I recently travelled to London for a 10-day holiday. We dined at St John at the location on St John Street. This restaurant has one Michelin star.

I had the famous bone marrow on toast, accompanied by a glass of Crémant de Limoux, as my first course.

My main course was tripe with broad beans and bacon. I drank a glass of red Languedoc with the tripe.

Everything was delicious. The prices were very reasonable. For example, my Limoux was 6 quid a glass. My share of the bill was 48 quid.

My husband did not care to participate in this restaurant review as he hates this site.

Last edited by Pepper_von_snoot; Aug 29th, 2019 at 06:05 PM.
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Bone marrow on toast.

Last edited by Pepper_von_snoot; Aug 29th, 2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Tripe with broad beans and bacon. Languedoc.
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Crémant de Limoux.
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 11:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice!. Never been there [I think it opened shortly before we left the home counties] but the location would suggest that the meat would be first class.

I have no idea why bone marrow and other such delicacies have fallen out of favour with the vast majority of Brits. It's a real shame because they are usually cheap and very tasty.
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, annhig.

🍷
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 04:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Your husband didn't eat? My brother made me try bonne marrow and it really wasn't bad. Had you eaten tripe before? I saw it in the markets but they say it is really tender. Glad you had a good trip.
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 04:53 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Macross
Your husband didn't eat? . . . .
Thin didn't say that -- >>My husband did not care to participate in this restaurant review as he hates this site.<<.

He ate but doesn't wish to post his review on Fodors

Thin: I haven't made it to St John yet but I know they do a lot of game so I may try to get there in December. What is the room/atmosphere like?
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great pictures. My husband still talks about tripe shops where he grew up in Lancashire. He said eating it was like chewing on a leather belt. I'd like to try it done 'properly'.
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 07:48 AM

I love bone marrow, and that looks like a nice, healthy portion. Thanks for the review. Going to London in a couple months and starting to think about restaurants.
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Atmosphere at St John: plain jane. It looks like the Amish run the place. Bare white walls and tables with white butcher paper, shaker-style wooden chairs.

Lots of men having business lunches when we dined, all in shirtsleeves. Very informal.

My husband did dine with me. He actually sat next to me so he wouldn't be in my photos because he hates Facebook and Instagram.

We took the tube from Greenpark to Chancery and walked over. A bit of a walk, but burned off some of that bread.

Thin,aristocrat 🥪

Old Aug 31st, 2019, 01:36 PM

<<Great pictures. My husband still talks about tripe shops where he grew up in Lancashire. He said eating it was like chewing on a leather belt. I'd like to try it done 'properly'.>>i

My mum used regularly to prove her love for my father by cooking tripe, for him. It was always the white sort that she cooked with onions and a white sauce; she must have made a good job of it because my dad used to devour it with relish. Neither she not i could ever stomach it.

I did however try it in Florence but I wasn't over impressed, though perhaps tripe salad wasn't the best choice for a tripe virgin. I was amused to see that like we have fish and chip shops, they have tripe sellers on the street corners. Perhaps I should have tried it at one of those.
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 02:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks Thin for explaining the lack of your husband's food and him. I can't really blame him for disliking this place. I took a cooking class in Florence and we visited this tripe vendor but could not bring myself to taste. I am really into feed Phil on Netflix and he ate a tripe sandwich in Italy and said it was very good.
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 02:42 PM

I have eaten at St. John, but it was only a bacon buttie(?) as part of an East End food tour. It was delicious.

Although I am not much of an offal fan, I did eat a small tripe sandwich while on a food tour in Florence. It was okay, but not something I would bother eating again.
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 06:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Love bone marrow -- usually as part of osso buco, but I've always found tripe to be bland. Anyway, looks like as good place to try. Thanks.

FD, peasant.
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 02:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Looks delicious, Thin.

I love bone marrow, but am yet to find a tripe dish that I really like. Perhaps it’s too subtle for my peasant’s taste buds

What did your internet-eschewing husband have? Did he enjoy it? You can tell us - he won’t see it!

Speaking of seeing .... we’d like to see you back in the Lounge! We’ve been worried about you.
Old Sep 1st, 2019, 06:43 PM

I love bone marrow and that plate looks delish. "My" tube stop was Green Park when I was last in London two years ago. Love that area. Wahhhhh, I want to be there. Thanks for posting.
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 12:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
i5t
Bone marrow looks good and the tripe broad bean bacon combination very exciting.

i prefer lamb bone marrow and have taught the taste to my daughters, which was a mistake because we have to fight for the tiny morsels now.
I buy front leg of Thracian Lamb (almost no muttony smell)

thin, you may remember that we have tripe estaurants, usually open twenty hours a day, in Istanbul. They serve two types of tripe soup, meat off the sheep's head, and "kokorec" grilled sheep's intestines.

Have not had any for over a year, s, thanks for reminding me.
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 10:57 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The big question . . . Did you make it to the Dior??
Old Sep 2nd, 2019, 02:23 PM

<<thin, you may remember that we have tripe estaurants, usually open twenty hours a day, in Istanbul. They serve two types of tripe soup, meat off the sheep's head, and "kokorec" grilled sheep's intestines.

Have not had any for over a year, s, thanks for reminding me.>>

How on earth could you forget something like that, OC?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -