Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

I have nothing but plane tickets and hotel reservations, am I crazy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2010, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am already pretty well versed in Roman ruins and italian art, but I have not really made an kind of outline for when to visit what sites. I really just want to show up and visit site I feel like visiting at the time. Is this a bad idea? We are leaving in 2 weeks. I have read startegies for getting in to St. Peters and Sistine Chapel with out the giant crowd. And I have researched the transportation, and purchased two Roma Passes and two ArteCards.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 09:31 AM

We used to travel without even hotel reservations! It was part of the fun. (That changed once the kids started going with us) We're going to Rome next year and won't plan exactly what we're going to do each day either.

Can you please tell me what Roma passes and Artecards are? Thanks!
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

It might help if I say where I am going! Florence 4 nights, Venice 3 nights, Positano 3 nights, Rome 6 nights. We leave July 27th.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 09:39 AM

Ok to go without a plan, but I would not go without information.

For example, are there any shows on during my dates? Are there tours on specific days that I might want to take? List of restaurants to try?
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 09:42 AM

If there was a sight that was a priority for me, I would verify its "closed" day to avoid disappointment.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 09:43 AM

You're a little crazy On one hand, trips without an itinerary can be the most fun --finding unexpected treasures off the beaten path . However, if you don't mind spending your precious time in line, then go without any plans. Summer in Rome will be crowded and hot. If you don't buy museum and monument tickets ahead of time, then get up early and get in line early. I would not count on the strategy of someone else to escape the lines. I believe you can purchase tickets in advance on most museum, etc. websites. Or get a private guide and go past the long lines right through the front door. Have a great trip! Rome is amazing!
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

I like the restaurant list idea! I think the only thing we may plan is the Vatican tour but, I doubt they even have an opening this late in the game. Might be beter to just show up when they open St Peters, hoep that tour group door is available for me to walk through.

The Roma pass is just a good deal for entry to ruins and public transportaion in Rome and the ArteCard is basically the same thing for the campania area (pompeii, vesuvius, naples museums etc). Although the ArteCard has many options to choose from.

http://www.romapass.it/
http://www.artecard.it/
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Well, correct me if I am wrong, but the two free entries we get with the Roma pass allows us to skip the lines for those sites?
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

And by strategies I mean show up at the butt-crack of dawn.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 09:59 AM

If you're "crazy" then I'm even crazier, because I generally only have plane tickets and hotel reservations when I travel, and never have a set itinerary.

But I agree that having INFO about museum and sight opening hours and days is important. I usually take a folder of printouts, usually excerpts from guidebooks, about sightseeing options, so when I decide what I'm going to see on any given day, I can check my info to make sure it's open and to find out ticketing prices, etc. I've run into many other travelers disappointed when they plan their day around some site only to find out upon arrival that it's closed. I would hate to waste that kind of time.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Very true, I just really dont have the patience to sit here and go through everyday that I will be on vacation. I like to be just there and with no place I need to be (unless it is something I really want to do)
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 10:16 AM
cw

We never have a set day to day (hour by hour) itinerary. I have a list of places and things that I would like to do, but I usually get through about half the list.

As Michel says, go with information, especially about anything that you really want to do. Then play it by ear, depending on how you feel, the weather etc. Sounds like a nice stressless approach to your vacation.

The one thing I find useful is to have a list of restaurant possibilities in case we don't stumble upon ones around the sites or near where we are staying. I don't like walking around looking for a place to eat when I'm really ready for dinner.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 10:22 AM

I have been to all those cities on structured tours and like you are doing. I agree with the comments: see when your favorites are "chiuso" closed; the big items: museums/churches etc may require a guide/and or prepurchase a ticket which are located at the cities you are going. But there are so many places you can explore with a simple guide book either purchased before you go or when you get there. Many places offer head sets for a small price for a self guided tour. Now when we travel we will have a few things we want to see but only make the arrangements when we get there (but we do not travel to Italy in the summer). Sometimes this is easier because your plans can change because of weather or large crowds that can make a certain place unpleasant. In Positano, you can go down to the water (where Under The Tuscan Sun was filmed), and schedule many boat trips up and down the coast, to Pompeii etc.
Have fun
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Speaking of Under the Tuscan Sun, we booked the room it was filmed in :]
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 10:32 AM

I forgot about the resturants: we have tried them near the big attractions and while the food can be great it will come with a great price too. Trattorias are less expensive than ristorantes. Try to look for resturants a little away from the attractions while on foot during the day or after a meal walk around and listen for the places where the customers are speaking Italian...that's where the locals gather and it will be later in the evening (easily past 9 pm). You may not want to eat at that time, but you know the food will be good anytime. We also find that if you go back to a place more than once, they will LOVE you for it.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 10:35 AM

The room with the balcony which hotel? We stayed in an apt. that the police officer on the motorcycle drives by with Frances on the back! P.S there are no motocycles allowed where he picks her up and he goes the wrong way on the street to drop her off!
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Albergo California room 62
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 10:48 AM

We must be crazy also. We've been traveling that way for 35 plus years. We do have lots of guide books and do lots of research ahead of time. We also have several alternative plans in our heads in case one plan isn't doable on a certain day.
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 11:17 AM

First - you need to find out what is closed when - if you don't want to be disappointed.

Second, there are a few things you need to get in advance or you probably won't get in - tickets for

The Borghese
Tickets for special section of the Vatican (Scavi etc)

Otherwise - that's exacctly how we travel. I can't understand people who have every minute planned. Who knows what the weather will be like? Or how late you will be out the night before?
Old Jul 14th, 2010, 11:47 AM

Completely agree with nytraveler's system. What's open when; advance tickets to a few things; ideas of what we'd like to see; and that's it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -