Search

Luggage on TGV

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 05:31 PM
Mike G

Luggage on TGV

Two of us are taking the TGV from Paris to Avignon as part of a 2 week trip to France. <BR>We are thinking of buying two of the wheeled <BR>suitcases, one size bigger than than the "carry on" size. Will we be able to carry these with us on the train, or store them near our seats? <BR> <BR>Thanks for any suggestions. <BR>Mike in Ohio

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 05:53 PM
Tony

You will have to carry your luggage onto the train; as far as I know there is no provision for "checked luggage". <BR>There are storage racks above the seat which will take your bags, or there are luggage stacks at the end of each car if you are sitting close to the ends.

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 06:31 PM
Jayelle

The smaller one should fit on the luggage rack over your seats. The larger one may have to be placed in the storage area at the end of the car if its too big or too heavy for you to lift overhead. <BR> <BR>I'm always a bit nervous when I have to leave my suitcases at the back of the car because I can't see them, and the trains generally make intermediate stops where people are getting on and off. Thus far, though, I've never had a problem with theft. <BR>

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 06:50 PM
elvira

We have left our luggage at the end of the car, and never had anything taken. Being obsessive-compulsive, I make sure we're on the train early. Consequently, our bags are always on the *bottom* of everyone else's, so the likelihood of our bags being taken is nil. Just an idea...

Old Aug 17th, 2000, 07:14 PM
Tony

The Paris-Avignon TGV will not stop very often, if at all.

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 05:27 AM
hans

Just remember, as you're packing your suitcases, you will have plenty of opportunity to CARRY those wheeled suitcases up and down steps in train stations and subways, and on and off trains, up and down hotel stairways, etc. <BR> <BR>From one who overpacked ...

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 08:58 AM
maggiz

There are shelves and or poles in the baggage area that you could strap your luggage to with a lock if you are really concerned about theft. We left 5 large suitcases in that area on the train from Paris to Milan and then from Milan to Rome with no problems.

Old Aug 23rd, 2000, 11:26 AM
janice

Always remember that just because your bags are still there doesn't mean that someone didn't get into them and take something - in addition to nailing down your luggage, nail it shut too!