Luggage Help

Jul 4th, 2004, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Luggage Help

We have been traveling for the last 2 years with carry-on luggage only, as we hate to check luggage.

We currently have nice hand-carry luggage that is "supposed" to be regulation carry-on, but the last 2 times we have flown have been stopped and narrowly escaped having to check the pieces due to size.

We are going to Italy next year, and I would love to find a good regulation carry-on (do all the airlines have the same requirements?) with wheels. That is one thing our current luggage lacks.

I would also like it to be sturdy but lightweight with a carry handle, so when we encounter cobble streets, we can pick it up and carry rather than wheel.

Can anyone mention a good brand and/or source for such a thing?
Jul 4th, 2004, 04:58 AM

there have been several discussions about luggage types. here is a long thread from early June that gives lots of advice.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34498073

Basically - keep to 21 or less inches long X 9 in. X 14 in. and you will be able to carry on most airlines except BA and Virgin Atlantic who impose strict weight allowances (6 kilos) in coach. of course you still have to check them on most small commuter-type planes.

As for brand - that is really up to you. There are 15 or more good brands from the higher end Tumi/Hartman types - to mid range Travel Pro, to inexpensive department store brands.

I love my 19 inch Travel Pro wheely case but also have a 21 inch Skyway which was cheaper and has really good wheels.
Jul 4th, 2004, 05:32 AM

Janis is correct. Most airlines have slightly different dimension rules. Most do not allow carry-on to exceed 45" total. Stick to max. 21" length.
Jul 4th, 2004, 05:35 AM

Other European lines also have much smaller carry on allowances, including easyjet and ryanair.
Jul 4th, 2004, 07:03 AM

Also stick to maximum 9" for one dimension because the overhead storage on many airplanes has a 9" opening.
Jul 4th, 2004, 08:39 AM

As mentioned, British Air will weigh even a small suitcase with the proper dimensions. I can't get my 22" on the plane for Europe (like I can for Mexico or Hawaii trips). So you truly must be willing to pack EXtremely light to get a suitcase on as carry-on these days. I am a bordering-on-ridiculously light packer and can't do it.

Buying new luggage pay attention to the weight of the bag empty. That can make alot of difference. Pretty much any of them will have what you ask for (handle for picking up, wheels, etc.). I've seen nice cases ranging from $50 on sale at outlets to $500 at department stores for name brands like Tumi or Swiss.

If you're counting on getting it on all planes I'm afraid a 19-21 inch roller is the biggest you could count on.
Jul 4th, 2004, 09:30 AM

I've just bought a Delsey hard-sided
carry-on with wheels. It is a 'cabin
air' model - 9"X14"X18" and it weighs
in at 2.9 Kilos. I'm presently
'practicing' packing for a month -
no small feat (or feet for that
matter). It's the shoes I'll miss
the most *sob*! With the Delsey
I'll have a day-pack that can weigh
no more than 2 Kilos by BA rules.