Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Luggage courier to ship bags from Italy to US

Sep 17th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

I have some friends who want to ship their luggage back to the US from Italy instead of paying enormous fees to carry their luggage to Sicily on a local flight....does anyone know if DHL still does this? I looked on their site and can't find the info. Or does anyone have another suggested carrier that would provide door-to-door service for luggage? Thanks in advance for your help!
Sep 17th, 2009, 08:32 PM

There are quite a few luggage services, all expensive. I posted a list several years ago on this thread.
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...m#last-comment

Since the thread is three years old, some of the companies may not exist anymore.
Sep 17th, 2009, 08:38 PM

It will cost as much or more to ship their bags home. Just how much stuff are you talking about? What sorts of 'enormous' fees?
Sep 20th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I checked out the thread kybourbon and you are correct, most of the companies do not exist anymore but have all been merged into one - Luggage Forward - and the price to ship 2 standard bags and one oversized bag was $732! Anyhow, they are regrouping and shipping heavy items via mailboxes etc and just carrying lightweight luggage on the plane to avoid the weight charges. Very much appreciate the replies!
Sep 20th, 2009, 05:20 PM
J62

I have relatives who are asking about this same thing. How much are the weight charges, and how much did it cost them to sent from mailboxes etc?
Sep 20th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Depends on the airline - each one is different and they can check the prices on the website of the carrier. Mailboxes etc is charging them about 100 euro for about 10 kilos...packed, shipped and insured!