Search

Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luggage

I am trying to figure out the best way to tour Normandy (mostly D-Day tours) between visiting Paris and then heading to London. We may just do a day tour on one of our Paris days which would eliminate the what to do with luggage and the need for this question.
However, if we didn't do this we would possibly leave the morning that we are check out of our apartment. Taking a day tour or maybe a 2 day tour, then coming back to Paris following the tour and probably taking the Eurostar to London that night. Any advice?? Are there lockers at the train stations that we would store this stuff? Do we contact our apartment and see if we can pick our luggage up later in the day if we are already out of there?
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 02:38 AM

We've done the Paris to Normandy part of the trip, would say I would not plan on it being a one day trip from Paris to do the tour and return to Paris. Absolutely not enough time.
Also, there was a long thread on here recently about what you are trying to do. I'm not sure how to referene that, but if you search, you should be able to find it.
Even though we rode the train from Paris and got off in Caen, I don't remember if there were lockers or not. We rented a car in Caen, did some touring on our own, then had a guide for the WWII sites.
Afterwards we went on to Mt.St.Michele and Brittany, returned the car to the train station in Caen and took the train to Paris.
I'll do a search and if I can find it, I'll post again.
Good luck. Normandy was absolutely the best part of our trip, but then we're history buffs, especially WWII.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 02:51 AM
Original Poster

If we did the Paris to Normandy day tour it would most likely be with a tour company that departed from Paris. I have been full well warned about it being a very long day and it seems pricey for some of the tours, but it may be our only option. My husband and brother in law both would really like to go and being that close I'd hate to not experience a HUGE part of history. Thanks for your personal input Challiman!
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 07:49 AM

My niece and her husband kept their place in Paris and just took a small overnight bag with them when they went to Normandy. That way you don't have to worry about what to do with luggage and you have a room to come back to.

May cost a little extra but the convenience may be worth it.
Old Nov 16th, 2008, 09:08 AM

I think Bratsandbeer's idea makes a lot of sense.
I do have a question about leaving luggage at hotels in France.
When we were in Belgium recently we left luggage in the hotel, even though we checked out for one night and returned the next night. They were willing to do that so we wouldn't have to pay for two hotels for the same night.
But, when we were at a hotel at CDG there were some men who asked about the same thing and were told that it was against French law to allow them to do that. They became rather irate as they said they'd been told they could do that. It turned into a really ugly scene, but before it was resolved our taxi arrived.
No idea if this is correct or if the hotel (which was a major problem for us, on a different matter)was just not very cooperative.
But, if you could just keep your room, that would certainly be the easiest way.
I think I'd go even if it was a long day, but I really wish you could work it out to be in Normandy for at least one whole day.

Old Nov 16th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

If we are to keep our apartment in France I will need to see about extending our stay as we've already reserved the room. This is my frustrating moment... not any of your faults... but my fellow travelers have not been so on top of sharing their desires. Personally I agree that this sounds like the best idea, but it would be nice if I could get anyone else on board with me!