Reload this Page >

Lugano or Locarno

Search

Lugano or Locarno

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 06:56 PM
Scott

Lugano or Locarno

I want to spend two nights in Ticino at the end of October. Can't decide on whether to stay in Locarno or Lugano. Any suggestions along with hotel recommendatins would be great.

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 08:29 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Scott, There is no question---Lugano is <BR>the choice. Locarno is really just a <BR>resort town while Lugano is an up-scale <BR>cosmopolitan slice of European culture <BR>that is fabulous. It is not cheap, but <BR>none of Switz. is either. My favorite <BR>hotel is the Lugano Dante---they have a <BR>nice web page you can search and find. <BR>It is a cutesy 4 star right in the heart <BR>of town---about $160. It is hard to find any bargains in Lugano but a trip <BR>to the tourist office got me a lake view room for $85 one time--off season

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 11:16 AM
Richard

Scott, The Ticino is a great choice to visit, it's gotta be great at the end of October. We (wife and I) biked in this area in 1995. We stayed in Locarno for two nights at Albergo Ristorante Grotto Campagna. Take the cable car to Cimetta and the train to Domodossola. Go to Giornico, probably a day's drive, but on bikes it was an overnight in Biasca. We by passed Lugano for Ponte Tresa, after an overnight in Bellinzona. Can't say enough good things about this region, after looking at our photos for research on this I'm ready to go back. We think this may be our last year for touring on bikes, I'm 62, but given the choice this would be my final ride, (we're doing Normandie and Bretagne this year).

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 11:47 AM
lisa

I stayed in Lugano for several nights several years ago and absolutely loved it. A fascinating little city and just enough to explore and do. It is a beautiful place. Can't remember the hotel though, sorry...

Old Aug 24th, 1999, 01:18 PM
Glee

I'd definitely say Lugano - it's absolutely beautiful, the people are friendly, and you'll have a wonderful time. <BR> <BR>Unfortunately, I can't remember the hotel we stayed in...if I can find it, I'll post it back up here. It was definitely a nice place, just a block up from the lake.