Reload this Page >

Lufthansa carry-on limits

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2000, 02:24 PM
Renee

Does anyone know what the carry-on limits are for Lufthansa? Is it by weight or by size? We are flying with them to Venice and were wondering if they have different limits than their partner; United.

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 08:50 AM
Nancy

Easily checked at the Lufthansa web site (http://www.lufthansa.com/ehome.htm). Here is a snippet with both weight and size limits: <BR> <BR>Rules for carry-on luggage in Economy Class: one carry-on only per passenger (max. 55 x 40 x 20 cm or 22 x 16 x 8 inch, max. 8 kg or foldable garment bag: max 57 x 54 x 15 cm or 22 x 21 x 6 inch, max. 8 kg). <BR> <BR>In addition to the cabin baggage allowance, the following items may be carried on board: one small ladies handbag, one coat or plaid, one umbrella or walking stick, one small camera, one pair of binoculars, an appropriate amount of reading material for the duration of the journey, a baby basket and baby food for consumption during the flight.

Old Apr 4th, 2000, 01:42 PM
geri

Recently flew Lufthansa from Chicago to Munich and personnel in Chicago were very strict about size of carry-ons. Several people had to check their carry-ons and one female passenger was extremely verbal concerning the situation, to no avail. En route home no one seemed to care what was brought aboard.

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 12:58 AM
Mary

Yikes! 22 x 16 x 8 inches doesn't seem like much! Especially the 8-inches part. I'll be flying Lufthansa myself this spring, and when I fly, I always carry on a knapsack. The 22 inches and 16 aren't a problem, but the knapsack is definitely "fatter" than 8 inches. (My darn pocketbook is probably fatter than that.) Anybody else have any experience with Lufthansa about this stuff? (I'd take a fit if they made me check in my knapsack--have traveled on planes with it for years.) <BR> <BR>This has got me worried!

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 01:51 AM
Rob

Well, at O'Hare LH uses the UA terminal, and there they have this "template" on the X-ray machine. If your bag doesn't fit through it, then UA makes you check it, and they're quite strict about it.

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 12:20 PM
Lesli

Lufthansa seems to be a stickler for the rules, at least departing from the US. (My bag was within the size limits, but over re weight limit, and I was forced to check it.) <BR> <BR>I now take a nylon tote with a change of clothes, toiletries and my reading material, etc. for the plane. Leave with it only about half full, so I can use the remaining space for gifts. <BR> <BR>On a positive note, they have not lost my luggage yet, in spite of a nasty re-routing from Florence via Pisa-Munich-Zurich-SF which involved switching to another airline.