Search

Luftansa Strike

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2012, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luftansa Strike

I am about to book flights for a trip to Europe in the second half of October. We had planned to fly into Prague on Luftansa (via Frankfurt). Almost all flights I could find to Prague seem to be on Luftansa. I was reading that the rolling strikes by Luftansa staff could go on for a very long time.

Would you go ahead and book your flights on Luftansa or look for another airline? I would hope that the strike will be over by the time we leave but, at the same time part of me wonders if we should just plan a different itinerary or choose another way of getting to Prague.

We are planning on going to Austria and Italy on this trip as well (flying out of Rome). I don't think the flight out of Rome would be a problem since we can likely do that on a different airline.
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 08:49 PM

I flew Czech Airlines from Amsterdam....they probably have flights from other European cities...
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 08:56 PM

Six weeks is a pretty long time, and I guess they want to settle this matter while it's still peak travel season until mid September.
Technically, this strike has fewer impacts than others as the cabin staff trade union goes on strike only at one or two airports at a time. So, while Frankfurt was a zoo yesterday, you had not much impact elsewhere. Next it could be Hamburg, though, with little impact for travelers going thru Frankfurt.
But eventually no one can say anything for sure.
Old Aug 31st, 2012, 10:15 PM

I'm flying Swiss to Prague from SFO later this month.

My mother's TA wanted the Luf guys.

I prefer Swiss. I'd rather go through ZRH than FRA. Swiss is owned by Luf....
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 01:19 AM

You never know what is going to happen, I would book with another airline.
Old Sep 1st, 2012, 05:05 AM

You don't say where you are travelling from which limits your choices. We are flying to Prague with British Airways, from Toronto via Heathrow. There were lots of options, but it was the least expensive with a quality airline at the time we booked (several months ago). If you go with Lufthansa I guess it depends on how much disruption you could tolerate in your itinerary if you were affected by a labour problem.