Reload this Page >

Lucerne questions-please help..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2000, 03:43 PM
Patsy

We have an opportunity to be in Lucerne for 3-4 days around October 3rd. Will we encounter cold weather? Also, are there good day trips (via train) from Lucerne? We will not have our own transportation but love to use trains. Any recommendations as this may be our only time in Switzerland. We will be flying out of Zurich and this is why we thought Lucerne would be a good choice...right or wrong? We will have LOTS of luggage so need a"base" where we can visit as well as enjoy 1 or 2 day trips. Thanks for helping a real novice!

Old Aug 27th, 2000, 03:48 PM
Ed

Luzern's an excellent choice. Switzerland, for the most part including Luzern, has a 'typical' continental climate. Outside the mountains you'll find things quite temperate. <BR> <BR>Even in the mountains you'll find more 'unsettled' weather than snow or cold in early October. In fact with luck you'd find many delightful days at that time. <BR> <BR>Certainly the Jungfrau region is an excellent day trip from Luzern, though I might spend 1-2 of those days in Luzern and another 1-2 in the Jungfrau itself instead of daytripping. <BR> <BR>You'll find these two pages helpful, as well as the links flowing out of them: <BR> <BR>www.twenj.com/swissshort.htm <BR>www.twenj.com/swissdest.htm#Luzern <BR> <BR>Ed <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 07:02 AM
Byrd

We were in Luzern early last October, nd the weather couldn't have been better. There apparently had not been a heavy frost there because the flowers in window boxes were in full bloom, and the city was lovely. We had dinner dinner one evening outside on a balcony overlooking the river, and it was perfectly comfortable. <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 07:21 AM
John

I was in Lucerne this past summer, and found the town to be nice. Very quaint. As for day trips, you could always go down to Interlaken for the day, about a three hour train ride each way if I recall correctly. Interlaken is very easy to walk, and a pretty little place. We also stayed in Interlaken and took the train to Zermatt (to see the Materhorn), an absolutely magnificent sight! You may be able to do Zermatt from Lucerne, but it could be a very long day.

Old Aug 28th, 2000, 11:49 AM
Deborah

While you are in Lucerne, be sure to take the boat-train-gondola trip to the top of Pilatus. (It's called the Golden Round Trip--tickets for sale on the waterfront across from the bus station.) It is a beautiful way to spend 4 hours. <BR> <BR>Deborah

Old Aug 29th, 2000, 10:59 AM
WillieBoy

We were in Luzern in October and had wonderful weather. ALl the flowers were still in bloom. We traveled to the top or Mt. Pilatus and of course there is was very cold and snowy, but that is to be expected. I think you will have wonderful trip. Try to stay in the old town or at least close to the lake. One word of advice, if you are driving, parking can be challenging to say the least. On street parking during the day is highly restricted, and most hotels will give you a permit to lay on your dash board for overnight parking in areas that are marked for such. I founc it easier to just bite the bullet, park in the train station underground lot (just across the river from old town), and not worry about it. Had to pay but after spending over an hour one night circling trying to find a spot it was worth every franc.

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 06:21 AM
topper

Old Aug 30th, 2000, 07:50 AM
Mike Murphy

Pasty, <BR>Engelberg is a nice day trip from Luzern. Trains run regularly from the Bahnhof passing thru some spectacular alpine scenery; connecting to the "cog" for a portion of the ~1.5 hour ride. <BR> <BR>A web search on engelberg brings up several sites to visit. <BR>