Reload this Page >

Lucerne in December

Search

Lucerne in December

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 05:58 AM
Manju

Lucerne in December

My fiancee and me are planning to spend our <BR>honeymoon at Lucerne during the last week <BR>of December. Most of the posts in these forums suggest that summer is the ideal time <BR>to visit Lucerne. But due to conflicting <BR>schedules, we can only make it in December. <BR> <BR> <BR>We are planning to use Lucerne as our base and <BR>make day-trips to places closeby. What <BR>places can we visit in December ? I know <BR>our choices will be limited due to the <BR>weather but I am hoping we can spend 4-5 <BR>days at Lucerne and not feel "stuck" due <BR>to the weather. <BR> <BR>We also plan to get some skiing done (if <BR>possible). Neither of us have skied before <BR>and want to begin our skiing in the Swiss <BR>Alps. Can somebody suggest a good ski spot <BR>(for beginners) close to Lucerne ? <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>-Manju

Old Jul 31st, 2000, 07:40 AM
s

Manju: <BR>Like you, I'm planning to make my initial visit to Lucerne during the off-off-off season of winter (Nov for me). But there appears to be lots to do. I plan to take some scenic ferry rides to Fluelen and to the historic Rutli meadow; I plan to see the mountain peaks of Rigi and Pilatus; and I plan to do some gentle hiking around the lake. You can get lots more info about these items, museums, and restaurants by doing a search on "Lucerne" or "Luzern" here on the Europe forum. You can also go to www.lakelucerne.ch for information on the paddle-boats that go around the lake -- go to "English," then "Offers," then go surfing. <BR> <BR>For excursions, I think you could easily see Berne, the Roman ruins at Avenches, and maybe spend a day exploring Zurich's main shopping street and restaurants. <BR> <BR>Your idea to learn to ski in Switzerland is wonderful (I learned in Berchtesgaden (sp??) in Germany). I hope you plan to spend another 4-5 days doing this, and do not plan to make this a day-trip. If you have several days, go to Wengen or Grindelwald in the Berner Oberland and sign up for one of their learn-to-ski packages including hotel, all dinners, equipment rental, lessons, and ski pass. Although many hotels offer these, there is usually a seven-night minimum (consider it anyway!!). I've been very fortunate to ski the BO three times and consider it the very best (I'm a terminal intermediate, so I prefer nice 'n easy). If, however, you plan to do it in a single day, try to find something in the outskirts of Lucerne. I believe there is skiing at the Rigi Kulm (and one brochure I received from Lake Lucerne Navigation Co shows people boarding the boat in ski suits & skis in hand), but I cannot vouch for its quality or the quality of instruction. The Lucerne Tourist Office has an English-language e-mail contact, so I would ask them (it's at www.lucerne.org; go to the English section, then go to the bottom of the page for "More information in English . . ."). <BR> <BR>Anyway, I think we'll both have a blast. Here are some web sites: <BR> <BR>www.berneroberland.ch <BR>www.wengen.ch <BR>www.grindelwald.ch <BR>www.lucerne.org <BR>www.lakelucerne.ch <BR> <BR>Feel free to e-mail me if you get stuck. <BR> <BR>s

Old Aug 3rd, 2000, 07:49 AM
Manju

S, <BR>Many thanks for your suggestions and ideas. I will visit those sites and find out more information. Will let you know once I draw up an itinerary. <BR> <BR>Thanks again, <BR>-Manju

Old Sep 6th, 2000, 12:02 PM
Manju

To the top