Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Lucerne and Lugano Switzerland Help! Brother in Law Left Rick Steve's Guidebook at Home

Search

Lucerne and Lugano Switzerland Help! Brother in Law Left Rick Steve's Guidebook at Home

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister arrived yesterday and sent me an urgent email. I haven't been to Switzerland since 1998 so I no longer have my Rick Steve's guidebook. Any and all help will be greatly appreicated by my sister and her family (and BIL of course). They were able to get Fodor's at a bookstore.

" went to bookstore and bought fodors today. no rick there. if you have rick for Luzern and Lugano, could you please look through and just list the top things to see in these two cities, or Ricks suggestions for things to see if you have a few days? we can find details in Fodors or the TI. We have 2 more days in Lucerne and 3 days in lugano. I feel so alone wo rick."

Thanks so much!
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 09:48 AM

Can you FedEx the book to her?

Well, if she's used to Rick... what can I say... her choice!
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 09:52 AM

Here are some things I like to do in Lucerne. I know that you're looking for Rick Steves suggestions and articles, but here goes.

#1 First thing, stroll around the old town and lakeside. Walk over to the Lion monument. Always fun for me

#2 Take one of the lake steamers around the lake. Relax and enjoy the views. You might want to get off the boat and look around some other lake villages. Don't worry, the boat will take you back to Lucerne.

#3 Another one of my big things in Lucerne is to take the early train out of the Lucerne train station over to Engleberg. Go up to the top. Great views! If you want a good hike, get off and take the chairlift down to Englesee <SP?> and walk past the lakes. Then you make your way down to the Sarnen train station for a trip back to Lucerne.

Be sure to get back before 5PM so you can take the post bus back to Sarnen, otherwise you'll spend the night there, unless you want to walk back to Sarnen.

But even if you do not want to do the hike thing, at least take that chairlift over to the Englesee and have a picnic. Just get back on the chairlift and head back to the main cable that takes you back down to Engleberg for the return train trip back to Lucerne.

I last did that hike in 99 and no longer have the maps so forgive spelling on the lake villages.

At least go to Engleberg. Take a jacket because it is cold up in those hills.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the Lucerne area,
1. Rigi
2. Pilatus
3. Ferry trip
4. Engelberg

For Lugano:
1. Walk to Gandria and take ferry back
2. Morcote
3. Any of the nearby mountains
4. Perhaps a day on Como Lake?
5. Bellinzona for its castles
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 11:06 AM
kdcwood

They can have a great time even without Rick.

I was in Lucerne last July. The tourist office is right by the train station and there is all kinds of free literature and booklets there, including a decent overview brochure that's practically a magazine. You can get all this in English.

We also visited the Tourist Office in Lugano last April and found the same thing.

For a half or all-day activity from Lucerne, I recommend going to Mt. Rigi (can take a boat, a train and a cable car to get up and down).

In Lugano, we really enjoyed the views from San Salvatore. (You get to the top by funicular.) Amazing views.

Information on both of these "trips" are available at the tourist offices.

Kathy

Old Jun 19th, 2006, 11:42 AM

From Rick:

Luzern

Walk from Bahnhofplatz, Kapellbucke Bridge,Jesuit Church, Mill Baidge, Weinmaqrkt Square, Hirschenplatz, to Sternenplat and finish up at St. Peter's Chapel (TI gives a similar tour for a fee).

Picasso Museum

Depot Hitory Museum

Lion Monument

Swiss Tansport Museum

Lugano

San Loreno Cathedral
Church of St. Mary of the Angels
Cantonal Art Museum

Mountains: (both are served by funiculars)

San Salvatore

Explore lake by boat (Lugano to Gandria for 20 SF)

Monte Bre
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 11:53 AM

These are my notes from previous Fodor's threads (we'll be in Lugano on Thurs)......

LUGANO Don't miss Morcote- we took the Funicular and hiked the whole area, it was a blast.

One of Switzerland’s most popular hikes/walks leads from Monte San Salvatore via the picturesque village Carona down to another picturesque village, Morcote, located right on the lake. Back by boat or bus to Lugano. [Let me warn you that the signs can be confusing. The trail will come out of the woods into Carona and other little towns. Then there will be different routes to Morcote marked. You always want to take the route that passes the Santuario Madonna d'Ongero and Torello, so always follow the signs that point there in addition to Morcote. And if these are not options, and the signs only say Morcote, try to ask someone. Don't stress, though. You'll figure it out.]

Ingo: With one full day it makes sense to take the funicular from Lugano-Paradiso up to Mt. San Salvatore, enjoy the views from there, hike to the picturesque village Carona, (Carona is a *must*!) visit the Baroque church Madonna d'Ongero, hike down to Morcote. (2 1/2 hours down to Morcote) Visit Parco Scherrer there and stroll through the narrow alleys and along the arcaded street by the lake. Then take the ferry back to Lugano. You can have lunch in Carona or Vico Morcote. This is a recommendation only if you enjoy a bit of hiking. Total hiking time about 3 hours…metlc Great advice from Ingo. Or, you could just boat directly over to Morcote and climb the paths above. Beautiful views. We got lost on that climb. Never did reach Vico Morcote. Maybe next time...

Morcote is a tiny village on a lake with Italian heritage in architecture, gardens, cuisine, & language…Morcote is very small with a spectacular climb to a beautiful church. If you've lakeboat access, you'll be able to visit Gandria and Lugano. In addition, though I've not had personal experience, there are walks above Morcote to interesting villages… Ingo: Lugano is all what you are looking for: a nice old town (pedestrian zone) with street markets. Very nice gardens all over Lugano: along the lake, especially in the north (Villa Favorita, Villa Helenum). Ingo: I think you should go up to Monte Generoso.

If you do only one thing, go to the top of San Salvatore. It, by FAR, is the most spectacular thing about Lugano. The view is breathtaking. On the highest part of the mountain sits a small church. You can take stairs to its roof all look in all directions. One warning however: walking up the stairs to the roof can be a bit much if you have a fear of heights. If you are not up for the church roof, there is also a restaurant on the mountaintop where you can have lunch while you look out over the Lugano area.

If you have a free afternoon in Lugano, you should check out the spectacular views from the top of Monte San Salvatore, located on the southern edge of the city. You can take the funicular up to the top or do it by foot. Hiking to the top is not too strenuous, and it's over before you know it. You probably want to ask someone how to get started, but you can probably figure it out if you start from the Suola Paradiso or Paradiso FFS (railway stop) area. This hike is much more pleasant than Monte Bre (to the northeast of the city), because it is much less urban.

The ride up Mount San Salvatore was spectacular. The funicolare (cog-wheel incline train, cost $10.14 USD per person) took 12 minutes to reach the top, with departures every half hour. The 360-degree view of Lugano and the surrounding areas was breathtaking. Dark clouds moved in quickly and positioned themselves midway between us and the lake, yet did not block the view, but only enhanced it. My photographs of this site are incredible. From the top of San Salvatore, a panoramic hiking tour leads you through a natural park and allows you to view the treasures of the local flora. With a gourmet restaurant, a self-serve restaurant and a free picnic area there is a nice variety of refreshments for any taste. There is also a museum and an old church that were quite interesting. Then back down on the funicolare, a long walk along the shore of Lake Lugano for our next adventure.

Funiculars and mountain railways take you up to the surrounding hills/mountains: from Lugano-Paradiso to Monte San Salvatore, from Lugano-Castagnola to Monte Bre, from Capolago (reachable by boat or train) to Monte Generoso (stunning panoramic views, rent a bike for a funny downhill ride). All these mountains offer great hiking opportunities…Another place not to miss is the quaint village Gandria east of Lugano. Take a boat one way and walk back to Lugano. Allow yourself a couple of hours with your camera in Gandria. Every turn is a picture….

Gandria: One of the most picturesque villages around Lake Lugano is the tiny enclave of Gandria, located just a short distance east of Lugano. Previously it was only possible to reach Gandria via foot or by boat, but a new roadway runs along the hillside above the village, connecting Lugano to Lake Como in Italy. It is also possible to take the funiculore from Cassarate to the hilltop village Bré, and stroll down the hillside to Gandria… schuler: Walk from Lugano to Gandria (1.5hrs) and take the ferry back (or vice-versa) I've done this many times. It's a wonderful walk…

You can reach Gandria by foot in about 90 minutes - a leisurely stroll along the lake around the foot of Bré that will take you past the lovely Sentiero dei Fiori (Path of Flowers), the Parco e sentiero dell'olivo (Park of Olives) and the very wealthy Castagnola district. The houses and the gardens along the lakefront path are just lovely - but don't worry, if you take the water taxis, you'll still have a good view of this area. The water taxis take approximately 1/2 hour and make a couple stops between the main Lugano dock and Gandria; during the summer hours, the water taxis run frequently, but in the winter they run only a few times per week. Check ferry schedules carefully before setting out.
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 01:20 PM

There's a good book store across from the lake. I think it's just adjacent to the Schweizerhof Hotel and the Swiss Credit Bank.

This store has a very big selection of travel books so you might find Rick's book.

Blackduff
Old Jun 19th, 2006, 01:38 PM

Lucerne is not mentioned in Rick Steves' "Best of Europe 2006" except that it is a 2 hour train ride from Interlaken. You Rickites are supposed to go to Gimmelwald according to his "best" book. He says "Gimmelwald was (before tourism) one of the poorest places in Switzerland." Top sites mentioned include the gondola station, main street, water fountain/trough, and the fire station. Night life he says is found at the hostel and at Walter's Bar, a "local farmer's hangout" in which the patrons "look like what some people would call hicks." The shephard also cautions readers that Gimmelwald is not to be confused with Grindelwald -- "the two couldn't be more different."

The Michelin Green Guide to Switzerland gives Grindelwald 3 stars, "worth a journey," and doesn't mention Gimmelwald. I travel with Michelin and laugh at Steves.

Old Jun 19th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, Gandria sounds like just what they are looking for in the Lugano area.

They flew into Zurich on FF miles and decided to visit 2 cities they hadn't been to in Switzerland before, so most everyone's suggestions will be helpful.

Hopscotch-What does your Michelin guide recommend for these areas?? They've visited the Lauterbrunnen Valley before.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 03:14 AM

anna k,

In the vicinity of Lucerne Michelin gives 3 stars to Lucerne itself, Pilatus, Rigi-Kulm, and Lake Lucerne. It gives 2 stars to Weggis and Brunnen.

In the vicinity of Lugano 3 stars go to Lugano itself, Mount San Salvatore, and Mount Generoso. It gives 2 stars to Mount Bré and Morcote.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 03:19 AM

P.S. Virtually all bookstores in Europe have the Michelin guide books.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 03:41 AM

Can I assume that the Rick Steves travel guides are American? I have noticed them regularly mentioned on this site (both in a good and a bad light), but don't recall ever having seen them in the travel section at bookstores here in South Australia.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Speckles,
He's an American who writes guidebooks. I like some of his quirkiness/dorkiness in the books, it makes them feel more personal to me.
http://www.ricksteves.com/
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 09:30 AM

Rick Steves is ok if you take what he comments on as good advice and not the Bible, which I think some around here and the web apparently do.

He gives advice to those traveling on a budget advice on inexpensive hotels that are nice, clean hotels in out of the way places. Away from the so called beaten path.

I have a problem with his Grindlewald opinions.

As I and a few others have stated, Grindlewald is big train hub for access to the top of the Jungfrau. That means loads of tourists coming into Grindlewald during the day. Yes, some come by bus.

After 5 PM, the town clears out fast and you see only those who live in this area and those who have traveled to Grindlewald to experience the magnificent outdoor activities which are in Grindlewald by the abundance. You will see hikers and backpackers of all kinds. Many stay out of town away from the main area of Grindlewald. Many rent apartments.

Steves likes Gimmelwald and I also enjoy a day visi to Gimmelwald to enjoy the hikes that begin in Gimmelwald, but I would never want to stay ivernight there because of the feeling of isolation.

There is only one or two local hotels in the area.

One can pop up to Murren for additional night activity, but Murren is also cleared out by night. Really not much to do after a days hike. I am spoiled I guess. I do like to catch up on the international news. I want a hotel that has at least one news channel. Hopefully Sky news since not too many European hotels carry Fox news. Sky news is owned by Rupert Murdoch so the overall presentation will be more fair and balanced. Uh oh, here comes all the anti Fox news crowd. Just my opinion. Anyway, I do not want to feel isolated.

I met Steves in 2001 or 2002. He was staying at a big airport hotel. Nice guy and he has good travel advice overall, but I just disagree with his take on Grindlewald.
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 09:37 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Most cities in Switzerland have a tourist website under their names:
www.luzern.ch
www.lugano.ch
Look for the button to click into English on the home page.

Most train stations in Switzerland have a tourist information desk. Go there.

(If you're already in Switzerland you can make it without Rick's guidance -truly!).
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 09:39 AM

A quick addition to suze's post --

The Luzern tourist website isn't at www.luzern.ch (that's the official site of the city).

The tourist site for Luzern is at www.luzern.org.

s
Old Jun 20th, 2006, 11:23 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks for keeping an eye on me Swandav... much appreciated. I wish *I* was in Switzerland and didn't know what to do -lol!!