Lucca

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Judi

Lucca

I recently returned from my first solo trip to Europe, destination Italy. My first stop was Lucca; I arranged for a taxi to pick me up at the Florence airport to make my life easier (110 E). I stayed at La Romea - http://www.easy-media.com/laromea/ingl/home.htm - and highly recommend it. It is run by a young helpful couple and is centrally located. Breakfasts were great! I was in Lucca for two nights which for me was just the right amount of time. I loved walking the wall. BTW, I enjoyed traveling alone and plan to do it again in September.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 02:50 AM
JIll

Judi,

My husband and I will be spending two nights in Lucca at the end of our trip, we're staying at La Principessa just outside the walls of the city. What did you love about Lucca that is not to be missed? Any favorite resttaurants or gardens?

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Judi

Jill, Lucca is a nice but not especially exciting little town. It has something for everyone...churches, shopping and walks. It's a good place to just "be" for a couple of days.
I was fortunate to be there the night the jazz ensemble from Slippery Rock U., PA was performing in the anfiteatro romano. They were great. I would have climbed the Torre Guinigi for a view of the city but I twisted my knee before my trip and didn't think I could climb all those steps.
I recommend the Osteria del Neni on a little street between the Piazza S. Michele and Piazza Napoleone. It is popular so make reservations or eat early. It is very reasonable in cost.
I think I walked the entire town; I kept getting turned around.
Enjoy your stay!

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Albert

I stayed in Lucca for a week last summer and really loved it. A good place to explore on foot to get a feel for the way of life in this part of Tuscany. The old city inside the walls is so picturesque and full of charm. Old ladies pedaling their bikes around, families out for their evening stroll, produce shops filled with those tasty little Tuscan pears and plums. The city was a welcome escape from the noise and crowds of Florence at the height of tourist season.

I enjoyed several meals at a casual little place called "Buralli". Most restaurants proudly serve their own recipe for a regional specialty, a delicious soup cooked with Faro, an ancient wheat-like grain. (I had it with almost every meal).

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Joe

Da Leo is another small restaurant (only three outside tables) that serves great food. Just off the Piazza del Mercato or the Piazza San Martino, I forget which (the Eastern most of the two). ust the locals. They all know it. Loved Lucca for it's relaxed atmosphere and fun evenings on the streets.