Reload this Page >

Lubeck in 3 days?

Search

Lubeck in 3 days?

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2000, 06:24 AM
Trena Penney

Lubeck in 3 days?

Hello All! <BR>In less than two weeks I'm leaving for 15 days in Europe. Does anyone have any information on Lubeck? I'll be there for three days and have no idea what to do! <BR>Thanks!

Old May 12th, 2000, 06:43 AM
Rex

I never cease to wonder how people end up with itineraries that they have no idea why they are going there, why for the number of days they will be there, or what they will do once they get there! <BR> <BR>But having said that, I can tell you that I was in Luebeck for less than 24 hours in 1997, and I would have loved to stay longer - - not for any particular reason - - just a great "walking around" town - - churches, marzipan specialities in every other shop, street artists - - I didn't find anything NOT to like. <BR> <BR>I was returning from a quick trip into Denmark, through Ribe and Odense (started in Germany and returned to Germany via ferry). If I had it to do over, I would not have bothered with Denmark at all - - preferring all parts of the "far north" of Germany much, much more. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old May 12th, 2000, 07:37 AM
Russ

I agree with Rex that Lübeck is great for a walk! It's a place with real character. The old-town is really an island, and there are boat tours you can take around the area; you can also rent a bike and cruise around on some of the bike paths that surround the town. <BR> <BR>It also makes a good base for trips to other nearby spots. You could take a quick trip by train or car to Travemünde, the nearby beachtown/resort, or to the lake-surrounded town of Plön to the north, a very attractive place with lots of waterport activities and a great place to rent a bike. Another day trip is the attractive, cobbled, red-roofed town of Ratzeburg to the south.

Old May 20th, 2000, 03:52 AM
Kavey

And they do awesome marzipan there... <BR>

Old May 20th, 2000, 06:13 AM
Al

A lot of what you see in Lubeck is postwar reconstruction, repairing the damage done by the RAF in a 1942 fire raid. The "old" Hanseatic loft buildings alongside the Wakenitz River are wonderful for exploring, photographing, and just admiring. Gear down, slow down, enjoy. If you become bored, it's only a few minutes by train into Hamburg.